Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hammock Seat Question(s)

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2016, 11:56 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I have the hammock seat that ends in 3 on my 2016 RGS .The seat that ends in 176 I was told is sculptured differently for the saddle bag latches on the Rushmore models.I demoed the Tallboy and now I'm trying the hammock.The seating position is not vert different.Its similar to the stock seat but cushy.Ill no Saturday.Im filling up the tank and going to ride tell my but hurts.If I get 200 miles out of it I will be happy.

Last edited by Idahokid; 09-08-2016 at 07:11 AM.
Old 09-08-2016, 04:46 AM
Dsm Limited
Received 8,166 Likes on 2,938 Posts

Originally Posted by Bodacious MC
Trying to figure out the differences between the 52000176 and the 52000003A on the Rushmore bikes.
Currently I'm feeling like I would rather not be moved any further back in the saddle than I currently am, while sitting on my stock SGS seat. My concern is that I feel like I'm at full reach for the handlebars with the stock setup, and moving back another inch could be a comfort problem. As far as sitting another inch higher than stock, I really don't think that would be an issue for me.
The difference between the 52000176 and 003 are the model year bikes they fit. The 176 is for the 14 up bikes and 003 fits 13 down. But more importantly either one works on either spectrum. The 003 will move you back a little more than a 176. They both raise you a little. I have a 14 Limited with the 003, I wanted more legroom.

The following 2 users liked this post by Dsm Limited:
Bodacious MC (09-08-2016), Idahokid (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 06:31 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Dsm Limited
The difference between the 52000176 and 003 are the model year bikes they fit. The 176 is for the 14 up bikes and 003 fits 13 down. But more importantly either one works on either spectrum. The 003 will move you back a little more than a 176. They both raise you a little. I have a 14 Limited with the 003, I wanted more legroom.
Thanks....that's the info what I was looking for.

Old 09-08-2016, 08:00 AM
firefox23508
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Not sure about the numbers, but the older model sits you back further and lower with less back rest support. The newer model sits closer and higher with a much more pronounced back rest area. I have had both, currently using newer model and like it very much. I have an adjustable back rest fitted as well. Supposedly this wasn't supposed to work with the older hammock but I had no problems with it. The backrest does seem to fit better with new hammock however. Couldn't ride any distance without it.

Old 09-08-2016, 09:26 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

2014 Road King here.
First month of owning the bike I tried 6 seats (including stock, Sundowner and Hammock plus 2 mustangs, I ALWAYS used Mustangs on my metrics, didnt come close to working on my Harley)

We purchased a Saddlemen Explorer Ultimate Comfort, been using it two years now, never an issue, great lower back support (I do not use a backrest) and works perfect for my passenger/wife. I truly believe if you tried this seat you would not even think about changing shocks etc.
It just works, no bone jarring, no teeth chattering and your passenger will love you.
Price is right, quality control so-so, meaning look it over good for any uneven stitching, materials themselves are quite good. Like the Hammock you will sit a little higher.
Im 5'11" and cherish the extra legroom room the seat gives me, I was quite crunched up on the bike with the Stock seat and Sundowner.

We did like the Hammock but I dont know, to me, it seemed way over priced for the type of construction and materials used.

Last edited by alarmdoug; 09-08-2016 at 09:28 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bodacious MC (09-08-2016)
Old 09-08-2016, 11:56 AM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
2014 Road King here.
First month of owning the bike I tried 6 seats (including stock, Sundowner and Hammock plus 2 mustangs, I ALWAYS used Mustangs on my metrics, didnt come close to working on my Harley)

We purchased a Saddlemen Explorer Ultimate Comfort, been using it two years now, never an issue, great lower back support (I do not use a backrest) and works perfect for my passenger/wife. I truly believe if you tried this seat you would not even think about changing shocks etc.
It just works, no bone jarring, no teeth chattering and your passenger will love you.
Price is right, quality control so-so, meaning look it over good for any uneven stitching, materials themselves are quite good. Like the Hammock you will sit a little higher.
Im 5'11" and cherish the extra legroom room the seat gives me, I was quite crunched up on the bike with the Stock seat and Sundowner.

We did like the Hammock but I dont know, to me, it seemed way over priced for the type of construction and materials used.
Thanks, I'll look into the Saddlemen as well.
My newest hangup is as I mentioned earlier, is that I only ride solo. Went into the a HD shop this morning asking questions about Demo's. I saw another customers SG that had an 03A seat on it. I really didn't care for the looks of the wide and comfy look of the passengers seat. I like the lower, slimmer look like that of the OEM seat. I know...."do ya want comfort or style".
HD doesn't offer the Hammock in a solo either.

I have to call Mean City and see what they have to say. Any feed back about Mean City Cycles modded seats would be great.

Old 09-08-2016, 12:17 PM
LoneRiderFLH
Road Warrior
Received 949 Likes on 412 Posts

Had a Hammock on EG. Darn thing collapsed during our 4500 mile trip this summer. Idea is good but construction sucks. GF is most happy with stock seat but road shock is major problem. Going with new shocks to fix problem

Old 09-08-2016, 01:43 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Had same issues as you. Loved riding but the occasional bangers from potholes or dips would send a shock up my spine, and I would be sore and uncomfortable till the end of the ride.

First bought a used Hammock from these forums, and sold my stock seat for $100 to offset the cost. Made a huge improvement in comfort, and much more relaxing riding.

Next bought used Premium Hand adjustable shocks. Made the bike ride smoother still, and gave much better handling and control. Sold the used air shocks for $100 to offset those costs.

All in all about $300 net to make a huge difference in rider comfort. Have since ridden on two +4,000 mile trips...smiling all the way. G/F is also much more comfortable. Falls asleep on the longer stretches.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Comfort and look together is very hard to find, most comfortable seats only look good on full dressers and when you use same seat on theses low and sleek looking bikes like SG and RG looks hideous IMHO.

Old 09-09-2016, 10:01 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

The Hammock was partially designed for longer distance riders, and they usually have a tour pak.

With the trunk, the looks of the seat are disguised. Without the trunk it looks thick (because it IS thick).

In addition to the fantastic ride, the extra height makes riding much more spacious for those 6' or taller.

If you want to look cool, you might have to suffer

Quick Reply: Hammock Seat Question(s)