Sponsored by:

Boom II Audio - blowing speakers

Old 09-06-2016, 07:32 PM
rlager
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Boom II Audio - blowing speakers

Hey Everyone...

Have a 2015 Ultra Limited, and pretty much bought into the whole Boom II Audio solution - Front Speakers, Rear (tourpack) speakers, and now saddlebag speakers. 3 amps, the whole spiel.

The problem? I continually blow speakers. I generally have the automatic volume adjustment set to 2, my bass is in the middle or lower, treble up a few ticks from the middle.

I've had three or 4 speakers replaced, and had it into the dealership 5 or 6 times for various stereo related issues. It seemed like they finally had things dialed in right after a year or so and then I added saddlebag speakers and took it in to have them flash the radio. Now things are crummy again. Blown tourpak speaker, and I'm pretty sure one of the new saddlebag speakers is blown..

I don't get it? Are the speakers that bad? Are there any non harley speakers I can install in any of these locations and still use the Boom amps? I realized they are bi-amped and all of that but I'd hate to tear everything out if it's just the speakers that are the weak link.

Thanks in advance

Old 09-06-2016, 07:45 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Buddy had that happen to him. think it was the flash not correct in someway, finally got it resolved after many a blown speaker, I'll ask him what the deal was next time i9 see him and post

The following users liked this post:
rlager (09-07-2016)
Old 09-06-2016, 08:41 PM
roadrash3
Road Master
Received 62 Likes on 43 Posts

Man that sucks, i am planning on doing all harley boom stereo stuff on my glide. i have a friend that owns a stereo shop and would probably be cheaper and better to have him do the work, but i really want to be stress free and was told that the harley stuff would be covered under the full 7 year warranty. I have not had a payment in a long time and will with the new bike, i don't want a single out of payment thing that is not tires brakes or oil.

Old 09-07-2016, 12:21 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by rlager
Hey Everyone...

Have a 2015 Ultra Limited, and pretty much bought into the whole Boom II Audio solution - Front Speakers, Rear (tourpack) speakers, and now saddlebag speakers. 3 amps, the whole spiel.

The problem? I continually blow speakers. I generally have the automatic volume adjustment set to 2, my bass is in the middle or lower, treble up a few ticks from the middle.

I've had three or 4 speakers replaced, and had it into the dealership 5 or 6 times for various stereo related issues. It seemed like they finally had things dialed in right after a year or so and then I added saddlebag speakers and took it in to have them flash the radio. Now things are crummy again. Blown tourpak speaker, and I'm pretty sure one of the new saddlebag speakers is blown..

I don't get it? Are the speakers that bad? Are there any non harley speakers I can install in any of these locations and still use the Boom amps? I realized they are bi-amped and all of that but I'd hate to tear everything out if it's just the speakers that are the weak link.

Thanks in advance
Had the Boom II for 9 months (just the front speakers) my right one blew out after 9 months after a trip to Canada. Noticed it having issues right after I got back. Not sure if it was the water, the sun or just vibration. I took the speaker out and checked the wiring - and it was good - just non-function.

The part number that burns out so much on the Stage II speakers is PN: 76000525. They are *MADE-IN-CHINA*, so what did you expect. Crappy components.

Did a bit of diagnostics on it - and didn't see any problems with the cone or the wiring, but - the magnet was DOA. it didn't even pick up a small screw.

The new one was fine (and under warranty).

But - yeah, I think HD should find a better source for parts in the USA, these Chinese made pieces are junk.

Old 09-07-2016, 07:30 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

This was a very common problem my dealer,suggested I go,with stage one if I did the boom upgrade. Kept it for a few months and went with all aftermarket stuff, and never once missed boom audio.

The following users liked this post:
gosserwb (09-14-2019)
Old 09-07-2016, 08:46 AM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Default ???

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Man that sucks, i am planning on doing all harley boom stereo stuff on my glide. i have a friend that owns a stereo shop and would probably be cheaper and better to have him do the work, but i really want to be stress free and was told that the harley stuff would be covered under the full 7 year warranty. I have not had a payment in a long time and will with the new bike, i don't want a single out of payment thing that is not tires brakes or oil.

7 year warranty? Where did you hear that?

I have Boom 1 in my '14 SGS and have had the left front speaker and the amp replaced under warranty, but my understanding is the warranty is only 2 years.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:02 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by roadrash3
Originally Posted by jdgresham
7 year warranty? Where did you hear that?

I have Boom 1 in my '14 SGS and have had the left front speaker and the amp replaced under warranty, but my understanding is the warranty is only 2 years.
I had the full stage II Boom! installed within 30 days of purchase of the bike. I was told also that this means the entire system is covered by the ESP, since it was dealer installed and within 60 days of purchase.

5,300 miles, AVC from 0 to 4, volume sometimes run at full tilt, bass at 3/4, treble at 3/4. Nary a blown speaker. Still sounds awesome, and still covered by the full 7-years.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:10 AM
jdgresham
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
I had the full stage II Boom! installed within 30 days of purchase of the bike. I was told also that this means the entire system is covered by the ESP, since it was dealer installed and within 60 days of purchase.

5,300 miles, AVC from 0 to 4, volume sometimes run at full tilt, bass at 3/4, treble at 3/4. Nary a blown speaker. Still sounds awesome, and still covered by the full 7-years.
I hope you are right. I have ESP as well and thought I had read in the contract that it only covers the head unit, not speakers or amp. I'll see if I can find it again when I get home from work. Mine was all dealer installed as well when I bought my bike.

Old 09-07-2016, 09:22 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Originally Posted by jdgresham
I hope you are right. I have ESP as well and thought I had read in the contract that it only covers the head unit, not speakers or amp. I'll see if I can find it again when I get home from work. Mine was all dealer installed as well when I bought my bike.
Dang... I should have done that... I'll be interested to see myself. I took the word of my service manager, but he's always been pretty straight with me.

Old 09-07-2016, 10:37 AM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 367 Likes on 278 Posts

Originally Posted by QNman
Dang... I should have done that... I'll be interested to see myself. I took the word of my service manager, but he's always been pretty straight with me.
Yeah, I'd be interested in that as well. I don't believe it to be the case and the speakers, amps, head unit, and all cables, controls etc are covered for the full term of ESP if they were HD installed and added to the agreement (you should check with the dealership that this was done).

To the OP, something not right there. I play mine LOUD sometimes, have had them drenched in rain and baked in sun and I've never had a problem (yet, knock on wood).

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Boom II Audio - blowing speakers