2017 Ultra Limited De-Contented

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2016, 11:28 PM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts
Default 2017 Ultra Limited De-Contented

Test Rode a 2017 Ultra Limited today.

Comparing it to the 2015 Ultra Limited I have now. I can only second many of the other mostly positive observations that others have made with respect to: A mild but noticeable Increase in Engine Torque, particularly at lower RPMs, a much Quieter Engine and Transmission (No Gear Rattle in Neutral when at operating Temperature), Reduced Engine Vibration particularly noticeable at an Idle, Clutch engagement "feel" is very different (not bad, just different), Different Saddle Bag Retainers (I got mine at ACE-Hardware and like mine better), Less Heat from the Exhaust (relocated Catalyst), etc.

BUT . . . . there does seem to be a bit of cost-cutting (De-Contenting) here and there: First, The CB Radio (Harley called it a Bike-to-Bike Communication System) is no longer standard. Nor is it listed in the Parts and Accessories for a 2017 Ultra Limited on Harley's Web Site for the Bike itself. But the Antennae Mount location is on the Tour Pack as is the place on the Right Hand Control for the Squelch and PTT Switch, although it also has a blank plug in it. If you go to the Parts section of Harley's Web Site they do list a "CB Kit" ($324.95), but this "Kit" does not seem to include an Antennae or the Hand Controls needed, nor are they mentioned in the installation instructions. Second, My 2015 Ultra Limited has a Lighted Chrome Tip on the End/Bottom of the Rear Fender (Red Running Light) which is missing on the 2017 Bike, Third, The "Information Screen" now lists the Oil Pressure as "OK" and does not provide the actual (and apparently annoying/disturbing to some customers) numerical pressure value. Fourth, the Air Pressure Adjustable (Leak-able) Rear Shocks are now fixed. I can't say as how I noticed any difference or improvement between that and the original air shocks I have on my 2015.

Old 09-10-2016, 12:16 AM
82ndJumper
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Get after market headsets. Probably a lot cheaper.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:12 AM
Ultraboy105
Tourer
Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by 82ndJumper
Get after market headsets. Probably a lot cheaper.
Didn't know anyone made a CB headset.

Old 09-10-2016, 04:55 AM
ardakota
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

even with purchase of the harley cb kit you still have to furnish the whip and the right switch pack i put the cb on my 14 its not hard plug and play you just have to have the pieces.

Old 09-10-2016, 07:17 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultraboy105
Didn't know anyone made a CB headset.
Seriously ?

Old 09-10-2016, 08:06 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

I guess cost-cutting (to appease the stock holders) is normal now. I'll be in the market to replace my '14 GMC Acadia soon, they redesigned the '17 Acadia's, smaller, lighter, less towing capacity (5200 down to 4000), smaller interior, eliminated the Heads Up Display (HUD), the power folding mirrors, the signal lights on the outside mirrors and are still charging right around the same price. They did add a few things but IMO not enough to offset the losses...all about the bottom line!

Old 09-10-2016, 08:12 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
Test Rode a 2017 Ultra Limited today.

Comparing it to the 2015 Ultra Limited I have now. I can only second many of the other mostly positive observations that others have made with respect to: A mild but noticeable Increase in Engine Torque, particularly at lower RPMs, a much Quieter Engine and Transmission (No Gear Rattle in Neutral when at operating Temperature), Reduced Engine Vibration particularly noticeable at an Idle, Clutch engagement "feel" is very different (not bad, just different), Different Saddle Bag Retainers (I got mine at ACE-Hardware and like mine better), Less Heat from the Exhaust (relocated Catalyst), etc.

BUT . . . . there does seem to be a bit of cost-cutting (De-Contenting) here and there: First, The CB Radio (Harley called it a Bike-to-Bike Communication System) is no longer standard. Nor is it listed in the Parts and Accessories for a 2017 Ultra Limited on Harley's Web Site for the Bike itself. But the Antennae Mount location is on the Tour Pack as is the place on the Right Hand Control for the Squelch and PTT Switch, although it also has a blank plug in it. If you go to the Parts section of Harley's Web Site they do list a "CB Kit" ($324.95), but this "Kit" does not seem to include an Antennae or the Hand Controls needed, nor are they mentioned in the installation instructions. Second, My 2015 Ultra Limited has a Lighted Chrome Tip on the End/Bottom of the Rear Fender (Red Running Light) which is missing on the 2017 Bike, Third, The "Information Screen" now lists the Oil Pressure as "OK" and does not provide the actual (and apparently annoying/disturbing to some customers) numerical pressure value. Fourth, the Air Pressure Adjustable (Leak-able) Rear Shocks are now fixed. I can't say as how I noticed any difference or improvement between that and the original air shocks I have on my 2015.
Hey, offering less for more money has kept the MoCo in business since it started! No surprises here.

The following users liked this post:
jd05flhtci (09-10-2016)
Old 09-10-2016, 08:16 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 450 Likes on 318 Posts

I think the CB was the easiest thing to remove by HD that would be missed the least by most. It's true, cost cutting measures are always taking place by all industries.

If you were to add the CB, buy the lighted switch packs--it comes with the CB button needed.

Old 09-10-2016, 08:38 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Hey, offering less for more money has kept the MoCo in business since it started! No surprises here.
In my opinion; the 17 is a step up from previous models. If I was bike less, or my 14 Limited was really lacking, I would buy a new 17 touring bike. The issue as I see it is that the pain is not worth the gain. When I traded my 07 on the 14 the upgrade was so big that it was worth trading. $10,000 plus tax. To me, the 17 is not worth close to $15,000 difference over the 14. All in. The 800lb guerilla in the room is Harley's overproduction, resulting in poor used bike market. That is how I see it. Content is not a issue to me, it's the used bike market that stops me from buying. Coming from a guy that has owned 12 new Harley's since 89.

Old 09-10-2016, 10:34 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
In my opinion; the 17 is a step up from previous models. If I was bike less, or my 14 Limited was really lacking, I would buy a new 17 touring bike. The issue as I see it is that the pain is not worth the gain. When I traded my 07 on the 14 the upgrade was so big that it was worth trading. $10,000 plus tax. To me, the 17 is not worth close to $15,000 difference over the 14. All in. The 800lb guerilla in the room is Harley's overproduction, resulting in poor used bike market. That is how I see it. Content is not a issue to me, it's the used bike market that stops me from buying. Coming from a guy that has owned 12 new Harley's since 89.
I went from an '06 Ultra to the '14 Limited, light years ahead. I don't think the '17 is that much of an upgrade, not yet anyway, maybe a '19 or a '20 down the road. A little cooler, a little more power, a little smoother, nice to have but not a deal maker for me. And no CB, tip light removal, whatever else they took off (heated grips?), no, not yet!

Last edited by IUOE ROB; 09-10-2016 at 10:39 AM.

Quick Reply: 2017 Ultra Limited De-Contented