Sponsored by:

20K Service

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2016, 09:33 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member
Received 666 Likes on 443 Posts
Default 20K Service

So I am doing my 20K service and have some info for those interested.

CHECK YOUR JIFFY STAND....it's the last thing I would have thought would be coming lose but the bolt was almost finger tight. Not the frame mount but the one that goes straight down from the top.

No slack in the neck, front wheel or rear wheel bearings. I was worries about this after reading the post on here but all is good.

Need brake pads...this is the second round for my rear and the first round for my front. I use the rear a LOT in slow speed maneuvering. Apparently my rears are toast around 10K but fronts have about 15-20% left after just under 20K.

When spreading the brake clalipers you can leave the old pads in and use two screwdrivers in an x-pattern, push both sides at the same time. There are 2 pistons on each side. This will push fluid out of your reservior so, yeah, that happens.

Clutch fluid level actually gets HIGHER when the clutch wears. So, with the reservior level it should only be to the line. DO NOT OVERFILL!!

When pulling the plug wires....USE GLOVES. Hitting your knuckles on the cooling fins hurts and makes blood come out of your body.

Plugs do not come gapped....be sure to check when you get them.

Use loctite on everything...well, maybe not the plugs but everything else. My rear shock bolts were loose from when I got a new back tire and brake pads (emergency service at dealer).

If you are doing this after work allow a couple of days...if you are like me. I like to take my time and look up all the torque specs, procedures, etc etc. I am giving myself 3 days to complete the full service but could have done it in one...just like to take my time and double check everything.

So, what did we learn here...NOTHING. But if anyone was interested...there you are.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 09-14-2016 at 09:37 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by TexasMotorcycleRider:
Damo222 (09-20-2016), GalvTexGuy (09-14-2016), nevada72 (09-19-2016)
Old 09-14-2016, 09:43 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Good stuff, thanks

Old 09-14-2016, 09:57 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Thanks. You mentioned this is your second brake pads - 20K. I have 25K on mine -dealer says brakes are still good.

Old 09-14-2016, 10:36 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Thanks. You mentioned this is your second brake pads - 20K. I have 25K on mine -dealer says brakes are still good.
How long brake pads last (just like tires) will not be the same for everyone.

Logs of aggressive riding will cause some to wear out brakes and tires much sooner than others.

Some people can't get 9K miles out of a rear tire, others often go over 18k
Some people can't get 20k out of brake pads, others often go over 40k

Old 09-14-2016, 10:41 AM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Second set of rears only, this will be my first change of the fronts. Sorry if that wasn't clear. I use the hell out of the rears...maybe need to start putting my feet down when I stop. As far as tires, my front is still good for a while but I am going to replace very soon so I don't have to worry down the road. My rear was replaced at 9K due to a metal object that found it's way into it.

Originally Posted by RollaMo
How long brake pads last (just like tires) will not be the same for everyone.

Lots of aggressive riding will cause some to wear out brakes and tires much sooner than others.

Some people can't get 9K miles out of a rear tire, others often go over 18k
Some people can't get 20k out of brake pads, others often go over 40k

I don't consider myself an agressive rider but do ride 2-up about 60% of the time. That may have helped some of the brake wear. When I had the rear replaced they told me I needed new pads and I thought maybe it was a fluke but here we are about 10K later and I am in need of a new set. I am replacing with EBC Double-H Sintered...we'll see how these last. On my ATV's I would get 2-3 rides from a set so started making my own from brass...that worked pretty good but I don't think I am going to risk it on the SG.

Last edited by TexasMotorcycleRider; 09-14-2016 at 10:45 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 11:04 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Rocket67 - I see you clearly understood where I was going.

Good job on the tires - I replaced mine at 22,000 - because I was getting ready for a long trip. They looked like there was plenty of tread left.
Update

My bike is in the shop for suspension upgrades, front and rear plus the 25,000 check. Just talked to the dealer - yep, it is time for front and rear brakes. Siad they could go longer but time all the work is being done now, it is a good time to get them.

LOL - guess I have to keep my mouth shut.

Last edited by cycle7447; 09-14-2016 at 11:31 AM.
Old 09-14-2016, 12:40 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Thanks Rocket67 - I see you clearly understood where I was going.

Good job on the tires - I replaced mine at 22,000 - because I was getting ready for a long trip. They looked like there was plenty of tread left.
Update

My bike is in the shop for suspension upgrades, front and rear plus the 25,000 check. Just talked to the dealer - yep, it is time for front and rear brakes. Siad they could go longer but time all the work is being done now, it is a good time to get them.

LOL - guess I have to keep my mouth shut.

I am guessing you do more riding on long roads with no stop signs or lights than I do. I wish I had more miles in the open country, I have a pretty good mix, don't get on the long stretches enough though.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:05 PM
spider14043
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

A friend warned me about that jiffy stand top bolt...It secures the tab that locks the side stand and keeps the stand from collapsing causing the bike to fall.

Sure enough mine was loose.

Secured mine with blue thread locker.

2015sgs

Last edited by spider14043; 09-14-2016 at 01:06 PM. Reason: missed spelling
Old 09-14-2016, 01:08 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

I am a pretty easy rider - do travel longer roads mostly.

I didn't use my rear brakes a lot because the pedal was so high. Now that i have installed the lower brake pedal, I tend to use it more.

Old 09-14-2016, 01:35 PM
TexasMotorcycleRider
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by spider14043
A friend warned me about that jiffy stand top bolt...It secures the tab that locks the side stand and keeps the stand from collapsing causing the bike to fall.

Sure enough mine was loose.

Secured mine with blue thread locker.

2015sgs

I think I may take mine completely out and put some thread locker in there as well. I used it for all the bolts I took out but not that one since I just tightened it a bit. What lube did you use in there? I hit it with WD40, book said use "anti sieze", I figured that was pretty close and it cleaned a lot of grit/dirt out of there.

Quick Reply: 20K Service