2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What if you want your dealer to do the map update?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 08:51 AM
jeff53404
Tourer
Received 90 Likes on 71 Posts
Default What if you want your dealer to do the map update?

Background: I got tired of gifts I didn't need or want so I told everyone to just give me Harley gift cards. I figured I would use them as needed or to purchase a map update. After all, Naviextras.com and Navi Guides have a bar and shield logo on the web pages. I also bought the Boom GPS system at the Harley dealer. The phone number for Navi takes you to a Harley employee in Milwaukee, etc.

I had a commitment and a price from my dealer but the employee left. Now, the dealer is no longer willing to do the map update so I did it myself using a credit card. The entire process took about 2 hours and I had no problems (map is about 3GB).

I called around to other dealers and all had no idea what I wanted done, never did it before and hadn't heard of Naviextras. I called the MoCo to get their perspective and they said it is up to each dealer if they want to do it.

My receipts for the map update came from Budapest and Harley apparently looks at this issue as a relationship between the customer and the company in Budapest which will not accept Harley gift cards. I did find one dealer willing to install Navitoolbox and allow me to walk him through the process. The tech looked at the issue as a pleasant challenge. The cost will be $150 for the map and the dealer wanted 1/2 hour labor.

If you have a CVO where you are entitled to 3 updates or don't like messing with technology and updates, check around to see if your dealer is willing to do the new map update or other options (friend or other dealer).

The Navi guides show you how to "fingerprint" your Boom system so it will accept the downloaded map (eliminates piracy). Some of the guides have the wrong option highlighted but the text is correct as to which option you want. If you go slowly and take your time, there shouldn't be any problems.

https://harley-davidson.naviextras.c...?guide=Toolbox

The following 2 users liked this post by jeff53404:
Nobby1970 (04-18-2017), pacemakertom (09-29-2016)
Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

My wife walks into the garage and sees me sitting on a stool next to the bike, my music playing a Coors in one hand and a rag in the other.

" Are you polishing that thing again?"

"Yes dear i am"

To me, bike ownership is also doing all the things to your bike that you can do.

Cleaning, polishing, changing the oil, adjusting the lights, putting what ever mods you like on yourself.

Doing the Boom Box updates and the map updates.

I like to limit my reasons for having to take it to the dealer, but if there is a warranty issue that is when i am going to bring it in.

I do see your point, somebody may not be interested in some of these things and if you don't mind paying labor fees then by all means bring it in.

I really don't want to the dealer to do anything that i can do, again for me part of ownership and the whole bike experience.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:48 PM
jeff53404
Tourer

I certainly agree with what you said but if you buy the cycle at a dealership, you expect the dealership to support all of its components.

I asked a tech if they backup data before doing a hard reset and he said no, we expect the customer to do that. Turns out none of the techs knew how to do an export of the system's data. I suspect many of the customers don't know how either.

Old 09-30-2016, 09:30 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

I used to pride myself on being able to do damn near any and all service work to my scoot. Sadly, the ravages of time/age have brought that to a halt. I am ecstatic that I am able to still ride though it must be on a trike. Just as my new Z06 has an automatic whereas I used to buy nothing but manuals. Such is life.

Old 09-30-2016, 04:57 PM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jeff53404
Background: I got tired of gifts I didn't need or want so I told everyone to just give me Harley gift cards. I figured I would use them as needed or to purchase a map update. After all, Naviextras.com and Navi Guides have a bar and shield logo on the web pages. I also bought the Boom GPS system at the Harley dealer. The phone number for Navi takes you to a Harley employee in Milwaukee, etc.

I had a commitment and a price from my dealer but the employee left. Now, the dealer is no longer willing to do the map update so I did it myself using a credit card. The entire process took about 2 hours and I had no problems (map is about 3GB).

I called around to other dealers and all had no idea what I wanted done, never did it before and hadn't heard of Naviextras. I called the MoCo to get their perspective and they said it is up to each dealer if they want to do it.

My receipts for the map update came from Budapest and Harley apparently looks at this issue as a relationship between the customer and the company in Budapest which will not accept Harley gift cards. I did find one dealer willing to install Navitoolbox and allow me to walk him through the process. The tech looked at the issue as a pleasant challenge. The cost will be $150 for the map and the dealer wanted 1/2 hour labor.

If you have a CVO where you are entitled to 3 updates or don't like messing with technology and updates, check around to see if your dealer is willing to do the new map update or other options (friend or other dealer).

The Navi guides show you how to "fingerprint" your Boom system so it will accept the downloaded map (eliminates piracy). Some of the guides have the wrong option highlighted but the text is correct as to which option you want. If you go slowly and take your time, there shouldn't be any problems.

https://harley-davidson.naviextras.c...?guide=Toolbox
Do use the fingerprint USB to do the update with? The directions do not tell you to use the fingerprint USB.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:25 PM
jeff53404
Tourer

IIRC, yes as the fingerprinted USB has the authentication code needed to start/complete the download. You also need the sync tool which is discussed in the Navi Guides.

Old 09-30-2016, 07:35 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

In reply to the OP's title question: I would have just awoken and found that I'd been transported to some kind of parallel universe.

No way in hell is a dealer "tech" ever touchin' my bike in this one!

Last edited by jpooch00; 09-30-2016 at 07:40 PM.
Old 09-30-2016, 11:50 PM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

I can do everything to my bike but Jack around with map for 2-3 hours I would rather just have it done.

Old 10-01-2016, 07:57 AM
MikeyTX
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 197 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Sam2010
I can do everything to my bike but Jack around with map for 2-3 hours I would rather just have it done.
This ! And then only if I felt the need for it. So far, I haven't.