Sponsored by:

First Impression On Ricor 49 MM Intiminators 049-20-1001TOUR

Old 10-10-2016, 02:41 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default First Impression On Ricor 49MM Intiminators 049-20-1001TOUR

Well, I received my new Ricor 49MM Intiminators. First impression;

- Out the box I noticed that they look very well engineered. Nicely packaged with 2 bottles of Amsoil Fork juice with the caps taped up.
- Definitely smoother than the unmodified factory fork. Ride seemed smoother, in spite of SNAFU (read below).
- As opposed to the reduced "pogoing" during acceleration observed with the installation of the Premium Ride Standard Length Shocks 54000008 I’m not sure I‘m noticing any less.
- Reduced brake dive even more than with the installation of the rear shocks. Actually had a minor emergency braking event due to a van initially turning into a shopping center and decided to abruptly get back in my lane; Braked hard, minimal fork dive compared to before installation, felt as if the front tire just dug in, for lack of a better term.
- Handling I haven’t really noticed but will take note as soon as possible.
- I hit a few rail road crossing both after initial SNAFU and after correcting the oil level today. Both tests were better than before but definitely better when I reduced the oil level.
- Installation was straightforward and not difficult, although I must admit that I have been wrenching on everything from bicycles to Light Armored Vehicles for the last 40 years but I’m no Rocket Scientist so take that for what it’s worth. Removed the caps with 19MM hex socket and impact wrench, keep downward pressure with wrench and other hand, SPRING IS STRONG, drain oil (was dark and smelly, smelled like heavy gear lube), sprayed a little brake cleaner in and swished around, wiped it out, measured the springs and sleeves, cut the sleeves to account for the Intiminator install, filled* the fork tubes, set oil level, installed the components, put cap back on and re-assembled the front end.

*I jacked up the initial installation by not setting the oil level with the Intiminator installed and rode a few hundred miles to Tallahassee Fla and back (40K service and test run). I test rode a Limited and purposely rode over every manhole cover along the way and it was very smooth. I did the same with my Ultra after my service and there was a little harshness. Not sure if it was because of the extra oil or maybe some trapped air in the damper(?) as one of my fork legs, when I “re-did” them, did not extend smoothly until I compressed/extended it a few times. Took a 160 mile round trip Saturday night, after re-installation, and the ride was great on Hwy 75 heading to Warner Robbins, Ga. They make it seem as though the bumps/irregularities are covered in a rubber mat; still there but muted; sometimes when I expect to feel a bump or irregularity there's nothing and other times I expect to not feel anything and do. Sometimes the front glided over a bumps/irregularity and I felt it in the rear suspension, go figure.

Well worth the $225.66, w/shipping, from Ricor Racing Shocks. They were willing to talk with me about the installation and suggested using the factory springs and upgrade from there if not satisfied. Good call, as I need to get an idea of the factory spring rate to see how much, if any, firmer that I want to go. I have started research on next Phase 2 of my suspension upgrade; Front Cartridges and Custom Rear Shocks. I’m looking very favorably at the Legend AXEO for the front and still undecided on the rears.

I hope this helps someone.

Last edited by TonyGisCWO4; 10-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-10-2016, 02:58 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

Did you try heavier oil in the forks before using the Ricor valves?

Old 10-10-2016, 04:24 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate

No, I didn't, in fact I had the oil sitting beside the bike for a few weeks. The plan was to go heavier in the shocks and the forks. Bought extra air shock hose and an extra air valve so as to not have to use the one on my steed and three bottles of the HD Heavy Fork Oil. I was about to order 10wt and 5wt shock oil and then something happened; I test rode a 2017 Street Glide....so now I have 30ft of airline and an extra air valve and just returned the shock oil this last Friday as I got my 40K service...

Old 10-10-2016, 05:34 PM
InthewindMN
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 237 Likes on 209 Posts

I put heavier oil in my forks (20w Specto) and it helped a lot. Now I'm thinking about Super Shox on the rear.

Old 10-10-2016, 08:08 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate

I was afraid that the heavier oil would cause a more harsher ride and figured that if I was going to take everything apart, might as well try something that my research suggested would make a tangible difference.

Last edited by TonyGisCWO4; 10-10-2016 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-11-2016, 05:52 PM
TonyGisCWO4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TonyGisCWO4
*I jacked up the initial installation by not setting the oil level with the Intiminator installed and rode a few hundred miles to Tallahassee Fla and back (40K service and test run). I test rode a Limited and purposely rode over every manhole cover along the way and it was very smooth. I did the same with my Ultra after my service and there was a little harshness.
Today I rode over a number on manhole covers both protruding and one somewhat below street level, approximately 1-1 1/2", and my steed just glided over them smoothly. I also rode over a somewhat washboard type road and it was easily tolerable as opposed to before the fork modification. Cool beans.

I hope this helps someone.