Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New SiriusXM Antenna

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2016, 07:34 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

I had only one real XM issue. Occasionally it would reboot. Dealer replaced the antenna with the new version and the issue went away. Mine is mounted per factory instructions.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:21 AM
MrC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XM Antennas

Baeseman1
Thanks for the information, I emailed tss and they said that the micro dot (the one you have pictured) is actually an older version with only slightly more gain to it than the new one that comes with the H-D XM kit. I was wondering which version of the antenna you replaced with the micro dot?

My new antenna is not great in the fairing, I re-routed the cable and applied some dielectric grease to the connector. This helped in that I know have 1-2 bars of reception in my closed garage, however, if I put my hand over the antenna it blanks out. I have to re-install the fairing now and try it out. This is all such a pain, but hey, whatever works...

Old 04-13-2017, 12:35 PM
mstrty
Cruiser
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Mine is mounted inside the fairing. Purchased kit 3/2017. Unless I am in a tunnel, or riding alongside anything significant (earth hillside) blocking the southern sky 60 degrees above me it works perfectly.

Old 04-13-2017, 09:09 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by MrC
Baeseman1
I was wondering which version of the antenna you replaced with the micro dot?
This one below. New or old, I really don't know. It did work fine for a while, then it simply crapped out. If it didn't crap out, I'd still be using it today. With that, I'm very happy with the micro dot.

Originally Posted by Baeseman1
Model NGVA1 with 1534 in the bottom right corner.
Measures 1 9/16" wide by 1 13/16" deep. My new Dot Micro antenna is 2 1/4" in diameter.

Old 04-30-2017, 01:35 AM
MaxPower79
Stage I

Hey guys, I just ordered my satellite radio module...looking forward to having it up and ready for the Five StateRun next month. My dilemma is I have the windshield bags installed so they'll block the antenna if I put it to the right of the vent like everyone suggests. I was happy to see the info about the micro dot antenna, looks like it has a longer cord too! So do you guys have any suggestions on another location to place the antenna??? Thanks for your help!

Old 04-30-2017, 12:02 PM
HD Jake
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If you just move your antenna on top of your dash you will get perfect reception

Old 04-30-2017, 07:44 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxPower79
Hey guys, I just ordered my satellite radio module...looking forward to having it up and ready for the Five StateRun next month. My dilemma is I have the windshield bags installed so they'll block the antenna if I put it to the right of the vent like everyone suggests. I was happy to see the info about the micro dot antenna, looks like it has a longer cord too! So do you guys have any suggestions on another location to place the antenna??? Thanks for your help!
The updated antenna that Harley came out with early last year made a huge improvement in reception for me. And that's with it mounted to the included bracket under the batwing. Also don't have 20 feet of excess antenna wire that the micro dot comes with cluttering up space under the batwing.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:10 AM
MrC
Intermediate

Installed my XM Kit last month (Ultra Limited) and had nothing but problems with Antenna reception inside the fairing as per the install instructions. At the recommendations from those here in the Forum I moved it to the right side of the vent and I do have a windshield bag installed as well. This corrected everything and the reception is as good as my truck. Still fades in and out in the usual places, but not any worse than my truck. I contacted the manufacturer of the micro dot antenna and it is actually an older version of the new one that Harley provides. It does have a slightly higher gain, however they indicated it was very small. I took a dremel tool and notched a spot for the cable to come through. Notch is very small and not seen.

Perplexed by why some have luck inside vs outside mount, only thing I can think of is that I have an amplifier and inside FM antenna installed in the fairing and maybe it affects reception (?)
So far so good on the outside to the right of the vent with a windshield bag.

Thank all for the great information in this post.

Old 05-01-2017, 08:54 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,722 Likes on 1,045 Posts

MrC - is this a new XM kit? Just checking to see if you have the new antenna.

I am one of those with the great reception with the new antenna inside.

Old 05-01-2017, 09:04 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 97 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Also don't have 20 feet of excess antenna wire that the micro dot comes with cluttering up space under the batwing.
Clearly, you haven't seen under a batwing with one installed...

Originally Posted by MrC
I contacted the manufacturer of the micro dot antenna and it is actually an older version of the new one that Harley provides. It does have a slightly higher gain.
So an old microdot antenna is still better than something new and improved from HD? Ha, and THAT is exactly why I didn't purchase a replacement HD product when the original **** the bed in 3 months.

Last edited by Baeseman1; 05-01-2017 at 09:07 PM.

Quick Reply: New SiriusXM Antenna