Sponsored by:

Sena Freewire review

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 01:12 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by crump13
If you have a BOOM system and bluetooth your phone to it you need either a wired headset or the Freewire system with the 20s in order to talk on the phone. The BOOM system has no way to allow for a bluetooth headset to pair to it in order to use the phone or hear the music via a bluetooth helmet headset. The Freewire connects to your BOOM system via a 7pin cable and then allows the Sena 20s to connect to the Freewire and all functionality you would get from a plugged in headset is now available via the Sena 20s.

I personally do not have the Freewire unit at this time but have done some research on it and it appears to be the answer those that are looking for to be wireless in their helmet.
I have the BOOM system, but have not hooked my phone via Bluetooth to the system, I only hardwire it to charge and stream my playlists. And, I have not even attached my HD mic set. I do travel a lot and feel I need to get with the program and use the equipment.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the 20s with Freewire plugs into the 7 pin. That in turn allows the 20s to connect via bluetooth to the BOOM system. I will then hear music wirelessly, be able to use the phone and have bike 2 bike comms?

What pairs with the BOOM? The freewire or the 20s?

I don't care so much for music coming from the ear pieces as I do being able to have the bike 2 bike and answer a call if needed.

Old 11-09-2016, 02:41 PM
Mazin Zahid
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Sena headset?

Will the free wire work with any bluetooth headset or it works just with sena headset?

Old 11-09-2016, 07:18 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I don't think I read it but can this dual stream the audio to the passenger as well?

Old 11-10-2016, 10:05 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by dixonk
I don't think I read it but can this dual stream the audio to the passenger as well?
Maybe. The 20s can dual stream wireless music inputs. In theory, it should be able to do that with the wireless connection to the freewire.

Old 11-10-2016, 10:11 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

On another note, has anyone figured out how to permanently mount this thing? Like in the fairing so I won't need another gizmo on the dash?

Old 11-10-2016, 02:57 PM
Baloofalo
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick

Neither. The Freewire plugs into the 7 pin plug where your boom mic used to plug in, and the 20S pairs to the Freewire.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:28 AM
crump13
Tourer
Received 35 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Mazin Zahid
Will the free wire work with any bluetooth headset or it works just with sena headset?
i talked to 3 of the Sena reps at the Orlando AIMexpo last month and they all confirmed the freewire will only work with the 20s and is uncertain if it will work with their new 30k that is in development right now.

Old 11-12-2016, 08:37 AM
Harleyrlb
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Blue Tick
I have the BOOM system, but have not hooked my phone via Bluetooth to the system, I only hardwire it to charge and stream my playlists. And, I have not even attached my HD mic set. I do travel a lot and feel I need to get with the program and use the equipment.

So, if I'm understanding you correctly, the 20s with Freewire plugs into the 7 pin. That in turn allows the 20s to connect via bluetooth to the BOOM system. I will then hear music wirelessly, be able to use the phone and have bike 2 bike comms?

I don't care so much for music coming from the ear pieces as I do being able to have the bike 2 bike and answer a call if needed.
Neither the Freewire nor the 20s pairs with the boom. Freewire connects through 7 pin and then the 20s connects by Bluetooth with the Freewire.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:01 PM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 94 Likes on 48 Posts

I've ordered a 6ft, 7 pin din, male / female cable. I'm going to run it under the console, the seat and then into my tour pak.

Old 11-12-2016, 06:44 PM
14cvoultra
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by VinceTheArchitect
On another note, has anyone figured out how to permanently mount this thing? Like in the fairing so I won't need another gizmo on the dash?
All the same pins are available at connector #280 in the fairing you would have buy the matching plug available on ebay for $9 last time I bought one. Then wire it up pin for pin you will need the service manual for the pin out.

The following users liked this post:
VinceTheArchitect (11-14-2016)

Quick Reply: Sena Freewire review