2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2017, 04:39 AM
tundrabuilt
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm also thinking of going this route too, since I have an android phone. Its either between this, or the Sony XAV AX100...but to stay on topic, is this the following head unit that you used for your mod? I'd like to try and tackle this myself too, but wanna make sure its the right HU I'm getting...thanks in advance.

Attached Thumbnails Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-230045.png   Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-230054.png   Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-232749.png   Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-232119.png   Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-230100.png  

Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!-screenshot_20170517-230031.png  
Old 05-18-2017, 04:45 AM
tundrabuilt
Cruiser
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Also, how hard is it to hook up the hand control module? And could this HU support my sound system? I'm running 2 amps and 6 speakers...sorry for all the questions, but I like the idea of having an android double din, but not sure if it would improve or diminish the sound quality of my current speaker setup...

Old 05-18-2017, 09:51 AM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by tundrabuilt
I'm also thinking of going this route too, since I have an android phone. Its either between this, or the Sony XAV AX100...but to stay on topic, is this the following head unit that you used for your mod? I'd like to try and tackle this myself too, but wanna make sure its the right HU I'm getting...thanks in advance.
What radio is this? I don't think I've ever seen this one before. if it's a no name brand, will probably have issues getting the hand controls to work.

Old 05-18-2017, 01:53 PM
JT_HD
Advanced
Received 28 Likes on 10 Posts

2014+ Hand controls do not use variable resistance like previous years. 2014+ is CAN BUS. The control modules at the bar ends have only 4 wires (power, ground and 2 data communication lines) when the rider wants the volume up / down / high beam / low beam / turn signal / horn / odometer etc, the module sends a message down the data line to the BCM (Body control module) that a request has been made for said function. The BCM in turn sends a data message to the radio (another ECU) to adjust, or to the gauge module (another ECU) to illuminate turn signal indicator, high beam indicator, etc. This complicates things for the layman to adapt to factory hand controls without an engineered intermediary module.

Old 05-18-2017, 02:51 PM
fightingmajor
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by JT_HD
2014+ Hand controls do not use variable resistance like previous years. 2014+ is CAN BUS. The control modules at the bar ends have only 4 wires (power, ground and 2 data communication lines) when the rider wants the volume up / down / high beam / low beam / turn signal / horn / odometer etc, the module sends a message down the data line to the BCM (Body control module) that a request has been made for said function. The BCM in turn sends a data message to the radio (another ECU) to adjust, or to the gauge module (another ECU) to illuminate turn signal indicator, high beam indicator, etc. This complicates things for the layman to adapt to factory hand controls without an engineered intermediary module.
So how would you know which setting to use for the BT adapter for example? Not really planning on going with the radio above, but it looks interesting and would like to get more info on it.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:42 PM
jimgpayne
Advanced
Received 22 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by tundrabuilt
That's kind of like asking a doctor for free medical advice.

You do know that he has developed this package for sale; right? Why would he give away free information that directly competes with his business model?

Old 05-20-2017, 06:54 AM
SgtMic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by JT_HD
BikeTronics plug and play Hand control module is what people are using on the Rushmore bikes.

Old 05-25-2017, 02:14 PM
UALCapt
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dave ... Have you completed development on your face plate? If so, I would like to purchase one for my 2017 FLHTP. I intend to mount a Garmin Drivesmart 61 LMT-S GPS unit [6.8”W x 3.9”H x 0.7”D (17.3 x 9.9 x 1.9 cm)]. Thanks! ... Mark

Old 05-30-2017, 08:24 AM
UltraSteveUSAF
Road Master
Received 104 Likes on 59 Posts

Dave, just finished my cross country ride. Still working. PM me for a little more info. Had more rain, not a deluge but it got wet again.

Old 06-16-2017, 12:43 PM
WOLFNSC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rushmore

I am interested in the system your working on I have a 2016 SGS can you send me infomation for it impidemic@gmail.com Thanks in Advance

Quick Reply: Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!