2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2017, 07:16 PM
rv7garage
Road Master
Received 198 Likes on 157 Posts

I'm interested, but want specifics. What hardware are you using? Brands, please

Old 01-02-2017, 07:28 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by End Loser
That's an android device, which has access to the play store, which has the FP3 app. You just use the HU instead of your phone to connect to the FP3.
Not familiar what the HU (headsup is the first thing that comes to mind) and how to obtain it. Still new to learning the capabilities the system has. Thanks for your help...

Old 01-02-2017, 07:43 PM
End Loser
Tourer
Received 29 Likes on 23 Posts

HU is head unit, which is the term for auto/cycle/marine in dash stereos. These Android devices have features for GPS connection, cameras, DVR, wifi, speaker and sub ins/outs, etc.

Old 01-03-2017, 02:22 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts

Thanks E L, I tried to connect to the FP# via bluetooth and it was asking for a PIN #. Didn't come with the package. So I contacted V&H, asked them about it and they say it can't be done. You apparently need the app already loaded on the HU. He also said it was the wrong IOS for the factory HU. Says it needs to be a Droid or an Apple device to be able to download the app.
Any suggestions? I am guessing the unit you showed in the pics must be one of the two previously mentioned.

Old 01-03-2017, 03:51 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Thank you guys for all of the feedback and interest!

The unit I will be offering is an actual HU designed for mobile audio, not a tablet made to fit. I have had the system installed in my bike for a few days now, and have had the chance to put a couple of hundred miles of riding with it.

It really seems to work great so far. I like being able to stream Pandora, use GPS, and listen to music from both my Bluetooth phone and stored on a USB thumb drive.

I have found the need to either get gloves with conductive finger tips, or to sew conductive thread into the tip of the finger of the gloves I have. The screen is capacitive, like a smart phone. It needs the conductivity of skin to function with it, and regular gloves do not work, as many of us have found with trying to operate our smart phones while wearing gloves. It was cold outside while riding, and I couldn't operate the touchscreen with the gloves I was wearing on one ride I was on. That won't happen again.

At this point, I have everything needed to install the unit on Rushmore bikes not equipped with any stereo (like Police bikes). I am still waiting on the final CAD production of faceplates. I can manufacture a limited quantity by hand, like I did mine, but I prefer to get CAD units manufactured, as I am kind of a perfectionist. With the holidays and the New Year, it has been difficult to get production into place using CAD, as those places have been closed. I do not expect a huge delay in that process. When I get final production dates, I'll relay those dates to everyone.

I am still working on connecting the unit to stock Harley hand controls. I am studying the wiring diagrams of the bike so I can, hopefully, interface with them. Bluetooth control interface is no problem right now, but the wired interface may take me a minute or two!!

I'm still working on pricing, since I still have the face plate manufacturing cost to be finalized. What I can say, for sure, is that it will cost a small fraction of the Harley unit. And I WILL offer discounts to HDF members. When the systems are ready for sale I will also update.

I'll keep everyone posted as things progress. I don't think it will be too long.

If you are interested in getting a pre-production unit right away, please PM me. I'll figure out a way to get you one ASAP.

Ride Safe!

Last edited by SprungDave; 01-03-2017 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:27 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 1,030 Posts

SpundDave - I think you have done a great job on this. Keep it up and I believe you will find that some here may be very, very interested.

I already have a unit in my Ultra - still, I like looking at hat you have done.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:07 PM
slapshot12
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
bluetooth and it has bluetooth but I believe only audio bluetooth.
You're correct, I was thinking of my GoPro since I've been working with that lately. Too many damn wireless connections...

Old 01-03-2017, 05:22 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 94 Likes on 78 Posts

Ok, am I stupid or something? Where is the info on products being used at? What's being used/sold.
WTF?
This really needs to be in the audio section so us audio guys can decipher this cryptic posting.

Old 01-03-2017, 05:49 PM
SprungDave
Road Warrior
Received 46 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by tesnevo
Ok, am I stupid or something? Where is the info on products being used at? What's being used/sold.
WTF?
This really needs to be in the audio section so us audio guys can decipher this cryptic posting.

You are NOT stupid. Sorry if the post seems cryptic. I tried to use plain language, but sometimes each of us forgets what others may or may not know. Perhaps I should make a posting in the audio section, but this item is specifically for Rushmore (and M8 2017 and newer) bikes. I thought posting it here first made the most sense.

In plain English:

I have developed a new entertainment system (and the associated installation parts) for Harley Davidson Rushmore (2014 and newer) fairing-equipped motorcycles (Electraglide, Streetglide, and Police Electraglide). This system I installed into my own bike (as seen in the pictures above) is unlike anything currently available, as it has a very large touch screen (7" diagonal screen size), as well as some heretofore unavailable features for the entertainment systems of our bikes.

Some of these features include the use of APPs (like on your smartphone), the ability to surf the 'net (through WiFi or utilizing the cellular data of your cell phone), the ability to connect to outside devices through the use of Bluetooth, the ability to playback and record video, the ability to use the system for hands-free cellular communication, and much more.

The parts I had to custom design/modify/build included the faceplate surround (the part that is black plastic and makes the stereo system look like it was designed to fit into the Harley dash), the mounts (the parts that secure the stereo to the motorcycle so that it will stay securely put into the motorcycle), and the wiring harnesses that allow the new entertainment system to connect to the speakers, external amplifiers (if desired), to the power and ground sources of the motorcycle), to the GPS antenna, and to other audio/video sources. And, of course, the Entertainment system itself - often called a "head unit" or "HU."

I am preparing this entertainment system to be produced in retail/wholesale packages for individuals to buy and/or motorcycle parts/audio suppliers to sell to the public. In order for me to have the highest quality parts, i need to get one of the parts built utilizing Computer Aided Designing (CAD).

What you are seeing is something that few get to see: items for our motorcycles before they are available for retail purchase. I am showing the item in the development stage to get feedback from the very people that might be the future consumers.

Again, sorry if the information seems cryptic. Of course, I am not sharing every detail about this project, as I wish to bring it to market, not create competitors.

Ride Safe!

Last edited by SprungDave; 01-03-2017 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:36 PM
4nic8
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your using a carputer and Lilliput screen or the like I'd give huge props, if you just using an alpine/Sony/pioneer head unit with a kit you fabbed then props as well but your chasing as many are trying to get that done production but none are really 100% yet that I've seen in volume anyway.

Any specs? Digital, optical or rca out? Voltage of outputs and how many? Xm input? SIM card for let card? How many and what types of inputs? Including a weather face for the screen? Have you tested with direct sunlight for visibility?

Quick Reply: Double DIN in a Rushmore - It CAN Be Done!