Sponsored by:

Need opinions; compensator going bad?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2017, 08:42 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by VDeuce
Shows signs of galling, but I've seen MUCH worse than that. Can't keep up with all the comp changes within the past few years. Yours have the oiling tray in the primary cover and the wafer bearing?
Didn't look at the inside of my primary cover, it's not the factory cover, it's the wrinkle black cover from HD. By wafer bearing do you mean the flat roller needle bearing between the two washers?

Old 05-25-2017, 09:46 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

You have the latest Comp design and that comp itself looks normal; however, that doesn't mean the springs are in good shape. I forget the specs, but you need to check stack height.

When you put the comp back together, torque the T70 to 180-200 Foot pounds. Might solve your problem...

Last edited by lp; 05-25-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 04:21 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

I ordered a Baker compensator. Just seeing those two rough cast parts grinding away at each other tells me that's got to be making some noise. What a **** design this is, very disappointed to see this is the best Harley can do.

Old 05-26-2017, 08:19 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

I had the same exact issue and the fix was a simple washer that the dealer installed. This is a known issue for the 14's with a service bulletin out on it.

Old 05-26-2017, 12:44 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
I had the same exact issue and the fix was a simple washer that the dealer installed. This is a known issue for the 14's with a service bulletin out on it.
Yeah I know the Belleville washers can be shimmed, but after seeing the galling and pitting on the ramps of the helix, I'll replace it with a better made unit. No wonder these bikes are so damn noisy, Harley can't even bother to machine two surfaces that ride on each other every second the motor is running.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:52 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Yeah I know the Belleville washers can be shimmed, but after seeing the galling and pitting on the ramps of the helix, I'll replace it with a better made unit. No wonder these bikes are so damn noisy, Harley can't even bother to machine two surfaces that ride on each other every second the motor is running.
Rodger that!

Old 05-26-2017, 05:26 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

If it turns out to be the comp, then I would recommend installing the Baker comp and their Attitude Adjuster (manual primary chain adjuster that eliminates over-tightening of the chain.

Ditch that MOCO crap and install top quality American-made parts that last and work as advertised. I did, and I couldn't be happier with the results.

Old 05-26-2017, 05:32 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts
Talking You asked for it

Originally Posted by sixshooter
Please tell me this is a fluke and that my compensator is supposed to have machined ramps on the helix. And not that HD thought rough, raw metal on metal was a good idea for two parts that move against each other constantly. Did I get a **** compensator that snuck through quality control???? lol
So, ya want me to lie to ya? OK! "That comp is a mechanical marvel that never gives trouble or fails prematurely. It's a HUGE improvement over the ones that came in the pre-twin cam motors which were a constant problem and wore out all the time."

How's that?

Last edited by jpooch00; 05-26-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-26-2017, 08:42 PM
sixshooter
Road Master

Originally Posted by jpooch00
If it turns out to be the comp, then I would recommend installing the Baker comp and their Attitude Adjuster (manual primary chain adjuster that eliminates over-tightening of the chain.

Ditch that MOCO crap and install top quality American-made parts that last and work as advertised. I did, and I couldn't be happier with the results.
I was going to do the attitude adjuster, but when I pulled mine apart my chain was not overtight, so it'll stay for now at least. Maybe next year I'll swap it out for the manual.

Old 05-27-2017, 06:59 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

to me, it like your comp is not getting oil sprayed on it, thusly the galling. Make sure your crinkled primary cover has the 'cast in' ( all '14 or newer primary covers have this mod ) oil diverter. The diverter helps to 'sling' oil from the primary reservoir onto the comp as the chain spins.

Quick Reply: Need opinions; compensator going bad?