12.12%
Yes, but you get what you pay for
64.39%
Minor difference depends what you're looking to gain
14.39%
Soft plush ride isn't going to happen no matter what you buy
9.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 132. You may not vote on this poll

Will I experience an epiphany if I change my shocks?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2017, 10:43 PM
lrcormier
Cruiser
Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

I'm not sure you will experience a epiphany, but any shock you choose to replace the air shocks on your FLHTK will be an improvement. I went with OHLINS from Howard on my 14 FLHTK and have no regrets and all I can say is wow.

Old 02-27-2017, 04:32 AM
Rustrtal
Road Warrior
Received 57 Likes on 45 Posts

Yes. I have Ohlins but almost everything on the market is WAY better than stock shocks.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:41 AM
Beak
Road Master
Received 284 Likes on 131 Posts

Ride is so subjective.....each rider has his own feelings on what is "good" or an improvement. I have Progressive Mono Tubes on the front and 944's on the rear. A lot of folks bad mouth Progressive and any other brand except Ohlin's. Cannot say that one is better than the other, never ran Ohlin's.
My bike rides fine for me. Someone else may not like it. But that's why they make so many different types and styles of shocks. Experiment until you find one that suits your needs.

Old 02-27-2017, 10:39 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Another thing, well i think so, is changing rear shocks, makes me feel the weak front suspension more, sorta out of balance, might just be me, i just put heavier fork oil in, seemed to balance back out, but front Susp change might be a better route

The following users liked this post:
Candubrain (02-27-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 10:52 AM
rauchman
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,236 Likes on 1,255 Posts

Originally Posted by todd-67
I think a smooth but firm controlled ride is more realistic. Plush is not something that I think you're going to get with 3 1/2" of travel on a 900lb bike.

I hated the stock shocks. I love my pro action shocks and lots of people love online for good reason. They are the leader in suspension in the 2 wheeled world.

Can you define "They are the leader in suspension in the 2 wheeled world"? My impression was, it doesn't get much better than Ohlins. Not sure if Penske makes HD type shocks, but they would be the other top tier option.

For the OP, while I don't have a Rushmore touring bike (have a Switchback), I'm running Hagon Nitro shocks and they are very much better than the stock shocks I had. From everything I've read, Ohlins are better.....more plush.

Last edited by rauchman; 03-02-2017 at 10:56 AM.
Old 03-02-2017, 11:26 AM
Blackjack1
Tourer
Received 67 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
Will I experience an epiphany if I change my shocks?
You will experience one of the following epiphanies:

"It comes down to the dichotomy of free will (making your own destiny if you will) and the overarching plan of God. The unification of those two truths may not be fully understandable to our human minds but we know that they both exist and therefore must carry some weight in how we live our lives."

OR

"Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice

The following 2 users liked this post by Blackjack1:
Candubrain (03-02-2017), RKGD (07-26-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 11:33 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by rauchman
Can you define "They are the leader in suspension in the 2 wheeled world"? My impression was, it doesn't get much better than Ohlins. Not sure if Penske makes HD type shocks, but they would be the other top tier option.

For the OP, while I don't have a Rushmore touring bike (have a Switchback), I'm running Hagon Nitro shocks and they are very much better than the stock shocks I had. From everything I've read, Ohlins are better.....more plush.
My auto correct changed Ohlins to online WTF? Ohlin'ss is #1 was what I was trying to get across.

rauchman (03-02-2017)
Old 03-02-2017, 02:58 PM
RedRider0151
Tourer
Received 152 Likes on 78 Posts

Will it handle better and soak up bumps better...absolutley. Is it so off the chain that you can't imagine what it was like riding without the extra 500-1000 bucks invested in rear shocks....no...as long as you always kept your shocks at the right PSI. I mean, yeah, you can really tell a difference when going from one to the other....but the crappy shocks never limited my riding. I rode 1000's of miles with originals and am riding 1000's of miles on my Ohlins...but I would still be riding no matter what the rear shocks. I think the expectations that are set by guys are so crazy. You are still going to feel the bumps on a shitty road...is it as bad, well no, but you absolutely know when you are on a shitty road no matter what shocks you are running..LOL

The following 2 users liked this post by RedRider0151:
Bafflingbs (04-25-2017), Candubrain (03-04-2017)
Old 03-04-2017, 12:19 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RedRider0151
Will it handle better and soak up bumps better...absolutley. Is it so off the chain that you can't imagine what it was like riding without the extra 500-1000 bucks invested in rear shocks....no...as long as you always kept your shocks at the right PSI. I mean, yeah, you can really tell a difference when going from one to the other....but the crappy shocks never limited my riding. I rode 1000's of miles with originals and am riding 1000's of miles on my Ohlins...but I would still be riding no matter what the rear shocks. I think the expectations that are set by guys are so crazy. You are still going to feel the bumps on a shitty road...is it as bad, well no, but you absolutely know when you are on a shitty road no matter what shocks you are running..LOL

I believe you have summed it up nicely. These were my thoughts and expectations as well.
thanks
brian

Old 03-05-2017, 07:02 AM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default cost vs benefit

Sure changing the $hock$/fork internals will improve the ride.
How much improvement?
How much do i really need to spend?
Well we really can't tell because no one has done any kind of real comparison.
All we have is seat of the pants perception.
If I spent 1200 in rear shocks the ride better improve...

RDM (06-17-2017)

Quick Reply: Will I experience an epiphany if I change my shocks?