DK Customs 1.5" tank lift issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2017, 12:57 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default DK Customs 1.5" tank lift issues

Hello all,
I have a 2015 Street Glide special and I thought a tank lift would look good on it and maybe help with the buffeting. So I did a little research and decided on a DK Customs 1.5" tank lift.
I read the information on DK Custom’s site and placed a rolled up towel under my tank to simulate the 1.5" lift. I rotated the bars both ways to the stops and clearance between the tank and fairing was close. But all cleared. Great! I placed my order and waited a couple of days. The mailman delivers the kit to my house. I installed the kit with spacers for the rear of the tank over the weekend. I step back and look at it and it looks good. I tighten everything up and decide to go for a ride. Wait, I better check the clearance at full lock.
The fairing is touching the front of the tank. Very slightly, but still it’s touching. If I place a single sheet of paper between the tank and the fairing and turn the bars to full lock I cannot pull the paper out easily.
To shorten this story I checked everything and found nothing. I called DK Customs and talked with Devin, he suggested a couple of things and I checked those things. Still touching.

I have:
Verified the tank is as far back as it will go without modifying the slots in the rear of the tank
I tightened the rear tank bolts first then the front bolts.
I have left the rear spacers in, took the spacers out
Verified the fairing is as far forward as it will go without modification. I got someone to push forward in the fairing while I tightened the bolts

The throttle side clears but only slightly. I may be able to get 2 or 3 sheets of paper between the faring and the tank. The clutch side is of the faring is touching the tank, just barely, before the forks hit the stops.
I know I can send the kit back. But I would prefer to keep it because I like the way it looks. But looks can’t take priority over damaging something by allowing the fairing and tank to touch.
I wanted to ask, has anyone else had this issue or a similar issue with the DK Customs tank lift? Did you correct it and get the needed clearance? If so, how? What else can I check, look at?

TIA,
Kevin

Last edited by WoodButcher66; 03-28-2017 at 06:44 AM.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:53 PM
BOARGAURD
Road Master
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I would remove the turn signals and loosen the studs (4). Pull the fairing towards the front, while holding in place retighten the studs and reinstall turn signals.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:18 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

BOARGAURD - I did that. I even got someone to push forward on it while I tightened the studs. The fairing didn't move much and didn't solve the clearance issue.

Old 03-21-2017, 02:23 PM
skid_pimp
Road Warrior
Received 416 Likes on 311 Posts

Try taking the spacers out from the back of the tank? If that helps, you could either leave the back half of the lift off, or shave it down a touch so you can use it, but still keep proper clearances....

Old 03-21-2017, 03:20 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

Tried with and without the spacers. Not enough clearance either way

Old 03-23-2017, 07:47 AM
barrygreen
Elite HDF Member
Received 360 Likes on 211 Posts

I had the same issue with another brand. Fairing hits, liked the look but its not worth it.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:35 AM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

barrygreen - You never found a solution?
DK Customs says there musy be something unique about my bike because they have never had this issue before.
Oh well, back in the box I guess.

Old 03-23-2017, 09:15 AM
Sam D.
Road Master
Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

I had the 1.5" lift on my 2013 Ultra with the rear Option Lift...
Remove the seat, loosen all bolts on the tank, push the tank back as far as you can,,, re-tighten rear bolts then the front bolts... You should have about 1/4" clearance.
I kept the Kit and will install on my 2017 soon.

Old 03-23-2017, 01:43 PM
WoodButcher66
Club Member

At no point have I had 1/4 inch of clearance. The most I have had is a 1/2 mm.

Originally Posted by Sam D.
I had the 1.5" lift on my 2013 Ultra with the rear Option Lift...
Remove the seat, loosen all bolts on the tank, push the tank back as far as you can,,, re-tighten rear bolts then the front bolts... You should have about 1/4" clearance.
I kept the Kit and will install on my 2017 soon.

Old 03-23-2017, 02:44 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,930 Likes on 2,288 Posts

It is a mystery.

When you did your test fitment, prior to ordering, you lifted the tank 1.5" and had clearance.

But now you are lifting it 1.5" and don't have clearance?

Did you double check to make sure that we shipped you a 1.5" Lift Kit? I don't like to say it, but we do make mistakes now and then...maybe we sent you a 2" Lift Kit?

It is very unusual for a 1.5" tank lift to have a clearance issue with handlebars, having a clearance issue with the fairing is not something we have seen before....and we've installed thousands of these on batwings.

Please check the height of the lift brackets and email or call us if they are taller than 1.5" center to center.

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

The following users liked this post:
skid_pimp (03-23-2017)

Quick Reply: DK Customs 1.5" tank lift issues