2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Key Fob Problem. Not Related to Batteries.

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2017, 09:08 PM
NCHD
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Key Fob Problem. Not Related to Batteries.

I've got a 2015 Ultra Limited. The bike started giving me the "enter pin" message recently so I replaced the key fob battery. Didn't fix the problem.

Sometimes when I turn the ignition on the red dash light blinks rapidly for 3 or 4 seconds before the fob is recognized. Other times I get the "enter pin" message right away. Still other times everything works and the fob is recognized immediately after turning on the ignition.

This happens even when my iPhone is in the house and the bike is in the driveway. There are no cell towers near my house. No other sources of interference that I can find. It even happens in the parking garage at work and at gas stations, not just at home. I checked the new fob batteries with a volt meter...3 volts. Checked the antenna under the seat and the wiring is tightly plugged in. Tried both fobs. Same problems.

Went to the dealer and they said nothing is wrong. Naturally everything worked perfectly for them!

I do have a PIN and it does work. But gimme a break...what's going on with this security system?! I still it really this unreliable?

Old 04-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Brewmany
Elite HDF Member
Received 657 Likes on 435 Posts

Since you tried both fobs, that pretty much rules them out, and it may be some defect in your security system. I don't think it's a very common issue, at least this type of problem doesn't get mentioned on the forums often, and it usually turns out to be a battery issue, either low battery, installed upside down, etc......
You pretty much ruled all of that out.

Keep at the dealer or try another one.

Last edited by Brewmany; 04-05-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 04-05-2017, 08:16 AM
TX_Mason
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue. Couldn't happen at home, had to happen at 12:30 in the am 200 miles out after a gas stop. Found out that the anntena for the signal is on top of the battery tray. The connector snapped and the antenna was vibrating back and forth making intermittent contact. Wrapped a zip tie (mandatory in my tour pack) around it and no problem since. Good luck.

Old 04-05-2017, 08:52 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

I agree with TX_Mason........the antenna for the security system on my 2015 Ultra Limited was just laying on top of the battery tray when I first checked. While mine wasn't shorting out, it did seem strange that it wasn't cable tied down in a fixed position. So that's what I did, I just cable tied it down.

Even so, once in a great while, my fob isn't "read" by the system. I keep the fob in the house, far away from the cycle, but when I then bring it close to the cycle and quickly/immediately try to turn on the switch sometimes it doesn't "read" the fob......the second time, however, it always works. My assumption is that the system takes a couple of seconds to read the fob and sometimes I just don't give it those 1 or 2 seconds.

I was told by the dealer that it's wise to keep the fob away from the cycle because IF kept close, the fob will continue to "communicate" with the cycle and the fob's battery will drain faster.

The following users liked this post:
Oko (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 03:06 PM
twig
Tourer
Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I have same problem but only once in awhile and can happen anywhere, at home after getting gas after stopping for lunch, I get on the bike stand it up and either the no fob warning comes up or the alarm starts wailing. I have a freibd with same year bike 14 SG and does the same thing, sometimes I have to take fob out of my jacket pocket and show my bike that yes I do have it with me you can start now. I haven't checked the antenna yet but that will be on my list.

Old 04-05-2017, 03:52 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Thanks for the reminder guys. My fob batteries are the original - in the bike since Sept 2013. I decided to change them both.

When I took the bike out a few weeks ago, I noticed that the fob had to be very close to the bike to recognize it. Every once in a while, it would day enter PIN - I would turn it off and all would be OK.

The new batteries seem to take car of that - hope it all works out for you.

Old 04-05-2017, 04:01 PM
HogPilot54
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

I have a 15 Ultra Limited also and have had intermittant issues with the bike not recognizing the fob. I'll check the antenna. Not sure what the antenna looks like. Can someone describe it?

Old 04-05-2017, 08:15 PM
NCHD
Advanced

Love this forum! Thanks for all the input guys. I previously checked my antenna and saw it was laying on top of the ECM holder. But it shouldn't be. Look at the botttom of the antenna. It has a groove. Then look at the ECM holder. There's a tab. Insert tab A into slot B and the antenna will be fixed in place. It angles upward a bit instead of laying flat but this doesn't seem to be a problem. The seat still fits fine.

In any case, my antenna wire is plugged in nice and tight. I dunno what the problem is but it seems others are having it too. So at least I'm not crazy. Still no clue about a solution though. Might never find one. ;(

The following users liked this post:
Wicked Smaaht (06-19-2018)
Old 04-05-2017, 08:18 PM
NCHD
Advanced

Originally Posted by HogPilot54
I have a 15 Ultra Limited also and have had intermittant issues with the bike not recognizing the fob. I'll check the antenna. Not sure what the antenna looks like. Can someone describe it?
Take off the seat. Stand on left (primary drive) side of bike. Stare at ECM. Look to the left. It's a long, thin rectangular box with wiring plugged into it.

The following 2 users liked this post by NCHD:
Cosmic Razorback (06-23-2017), HogPilot54 (04-05-2017)
Old 04-05-2017, 10:15 PM
Teal
Cruiser
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Can I ask what brand of battery you used (O.P)?
I only ask because it still could be a battery issue. Given that not all batteries have the same rating, you could in theory have the correct voltage, but lack in amps (milli amps in this case). I usually look for Duracell or Eveready. Just a thought...

Quick Reply: Key Fob Problem. Not Related to Batteries.