Sponsored by:

Labor for parts install at dealership

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2017, 09:29 PM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts
Default Labor for parts install at dealership

I have my 10k service scheduled for a couple weeks from now. Went into the dealership today to talk to them about adding some parts while the bike is in the service bay.

I am having them remove the fork lowers and sliders and swapping them with a set that have been powdercoated. Replacing the seals and adding the heavy weight oil. Quoted 4 hours

Asked about having a FM 2-1-2 head pipe installed. Quoted 2.5 hours for pipe installation.

This is where things got irritating for me. I already have a PV tuner from FuelMoto and planned on getting the tune from FM and having it loaded onto tuner. I'd just give the tuner to the dealer to upload the tune to the bike after the head pipe install.
They said they'd have to charge me 1 hour minimum labor rate for this. I asked why it wouldn't be included in the 2.5 hours for HP install. They said it isn't and it's non negotiable. Kind of took a hard stance on it with me. So I scrapped that project and just told them to do 10k service and fork sliders.

Questions I have for the group.

Do the labor times look normal?

Are they trying to hose me with the extra hour just to plug in the PV and upload the tune?

At $106, I think feel it is about as unfair as it can get. I'm perfectly fine having them wrench on my bike when it's something I don't feel comfortable with, but this seemed ridiculous to me.

I am not going to name the dealer as I don't feel that is fair to them. I think they have their way of doing business and have treated me very fairly before, I'm just very irritated with the situation of trying to get an extra $106 for just plugging in my tuner.

Old 04-27-2017, 09:49 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts

while i feel that an hour is a little long for that, they are not in the business of spending any time without charging for it. exhaust install does take a good bit of time as i have done a few of them myself. but nothing that you cannot do with simple tools in your garage. you can save yourself a bunch of money. did you ask if they would put the pipes on and then you tune it in the parking lot before taking off?

Old 04-28-2017, 05:47 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,720 Likes on 1,546 Posts

If you get the map, I would just load it myself. It's not hard.

Old 04-28-2017, 06:06 AM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 6,341 Likes on 3,277 Posts

If you have a laptop and a USB cable you can install it yourself FREE. 1 hours labor is minimum charge in some...do you have a relationship with the service mgr? Might be time to start nurturing one or just pay what they quote... I don't think they were being wrong. PCV has nothing to do with the headpipe

Last edited by Notgrownup; 04-28-2017 at 06:09 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:30 AM
Vernal
Club Member
Received 7,291 Likes on 1,905 Posts

I'd look around for other dealers or better yet an Indy with a good reputation. St. Louis is less than an hour away and I bet Forum members could recommend shops.

Do you already have a high flow air cleaner?

Old 04-28-2017, 07:51 AM
Adenton528
Road Captain
Received 204 Likes on 148 Posts

Thanks for bringing me back down to earth guys. Loading the tune myself is no issue at all. I loaded the initial tunes from FM when I got my slip ons and high flow AC. I was concerned if they put the head pipe on and ran the bike without tune on it, it would cause issues. So I felt kind of stuck I guess.

Im going to call a couple Indy's today or next week and see what they'd charge.

Again, thanks for the reality check. I was pretty irritated and needed to come back down to earth by ranting a little bit.

Old 04-28-2017, 07:53 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Don't think that there is a right or wrong in this scenerio, . They are in business to make money, but they also could do something like load ur map, for bringing the other work to them. Things have changed , My dealer used to load an update for me when i just stopped in, now they only do it when you have a service done ? Maybe you can try and talk to the manager as stated above, Or try calling another dealer, and see if they will for bringing them the other work, Good luck

Old 04-28-2017, 08:03 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I've installed three of those FM headpipes and 2.5 hours is actually quite reasonable. Time in a shop is money and some shops have a minimum charge. I'd simply install the map myself. If you have a laptop running Windows it only takes a few minutes. It sounds like you got the PV from Fuel Moto and their support is top notch. They will assist you if you contact them.

Old 04-28-2017, 08:29 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

My attitude on the original question is: When you bring your cycle into a dealer or indy shop EXPECT TO PAY for ANY WORK they perform. If they don't charge for the work or cut you a deal consider it a "gift" but never expect it. "Time is money". Your money helps keep the lights on, as they say.

Old 04-28-2017, 09:33 AM
bigfish_Oh
Road Warrior
Received 64 Likes on 41 Posts

The only thing to expect going to the dealer is they want your money.

After what they are already getting, I'd pull the whole job.
I had mine in to repair front end where someone backed into me. I asked about adding speakers, cb, media, lighter and something else while the fairing was off, they quoted full price for fairing r&r on each item. I WANTED TO BE CHARGED FOR WHAT THEY DONE, NOT WHAT THEY DIDN'T HAVE TO DO FOUR TIMES. needless to say they got nothing and have not got $$$$$ since, just like eating at a bad restaurant...

Quick Reply: Labor for parts install at dealership