2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can you ride with cooling system broken?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2017, 07:44 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 79 Posts

My bike is at the dealer, and they can't get to it until saturday. I'm starting to believe there is nothing wrong with my original coolant pump.

I took the pump section apart, its a magnetically driven centrifugal pump. It was in perfect condition with no sign of wear, or damage.

I measured the resistance across the power supply pins and measured 2.4 Ohms resistance. I don't know if this is a valid reading. Something tells me its not just a line going to a DC motor; possibly additional components such as capacitors in the electrical section.

I haven't taken that section apart too find out.

Ideas?

thanks
brian

Old 06-19-2017, 05:50 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Got the bike back from the dealer. The problem has disappeared although they could still see the code indicating high temp.

They checked the pump, temp sensor, fuse block and wiring harness, they couldn't replicate the pump not working.

Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 PM
jockotwin
Advanced
Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Have they considered the thermostat as the problem?

Old 06-19-2017, 08:56 PM
PDB17UltraRG
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 773 Likes on 735 Posts

No way i am riding more then 10 miles to a dealer. Its in print not to ride if the cooling system goes down.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:37 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jockotwin
Have they considered the thermostat as the problem?
Are the thermostats similar to automotive thermostats? As they only fail open, and not closed since the seventies or eighties.

I'm thinking bad connection somewhere. It might be worth my time to undo all connections, slap some dielectric grease to them and making sure they are properly connected.

There were issues with the 2010's, bike vibrations causing the pins in the plug connected to the ECM to wear/frett. The solution was to apply dielectric grease to reduce the chatter and prevent oxidation.

Old 06-25-2017, 11:14 AM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

My experience...just got home from the Black Hills....While riding needles highway we stopped at a look out...bike leaning to the left extra on slopped ground...come back to it and fluid is running on ground....I said screw it and just continued to ride...no alarms or issues. Checked it that night after cooling and very little level left in the tank. I decided to ride it without adding water or trying to find Harley fluid. I rode home 1000 miles riding 75 MPH without any issues.
Not sure what happened...it was warm that day with temps around 88 and running 25 mph. Bike was hot and fans seemed to run as before and as needed.

My dealer doesn't really have a qualified tech that I trust.....what do you all think is happening??

Thanks!!

Old 07-07-2017, 10:36 AM
rider5
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default water pump-

Originally Posted by Watchfuliz
Ok, lots of opinion here as is always and lots of experts. Most without data to back up what they say....sorry, I am not trying to pick a fight here.

I had a pump failure two weeks ago on my 15 Limited and was told by the dealer shop manager to just ride it over. 15 miles. I have a Powervision mounted on my bike and watched the temps as I rode over, all city traffic, and the engine temp climbed up to 267 and held steady there all the way to the dealership. My oil temp got up to 245 during that ride. Out of warranty it cost me $600 to get fixed and since I was leaving on a trip the next day and running out of time I let them fix it for me. I live in north Louisiana and the temps for that day was running in the upper 80's,

One week later while in Colorado on our trip my buds bike, 2016 Roadglide CVO, had a water pump failure near Steamboat Springs. After a call to the Grand Junction HD he was told to ride it in. 100 miles later and 100* temps on hwy 70 we pulled into the dealer. His oil temp was 275. He didn't have the PV so we couldn't watch his engine temp. Long story short, if you don't flog it and try to run 80 mph for hours, it will run fine and doesn't hurt anything other than it will eventually break down the oil. I would not joy ride it for days either. No limp mode or anything like that happens. You get the lights on the dash. Check engine light and high temp light and lots of heat. If you check the codes it will show a P1019 code ECT Difference (high temp). Which means an exceeding temperature difference between the coolant and the engine temperature. When the coolant and the engine temperature has a difference that exceeds a set amount, not sure the setting here, it trips the temp light and check engine light.

His bike was repaired and like mine has run great. We made it back to Louisiana without any more issues. That being said I believe we have a real problem with these. I had 26K on a 2.5 year old bike when mine failed. His is just over 2 years old with 17k on it. That should not be happening and I think Harley needs to address this issue. I for one do not want to have to buy a new water pump every couple of years.
Lost the 1st pump at 35000 kms, and now the 2nd water pump at 47000 kms only 12000 kms more I have a 2015 ultra classic Great bike except for the pumps???

Old 07-07-2017, 11:36 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

2 pumps already? FML.....

Old 07-07-2017, 01:10 PM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Yea, first i heard of two pumps going out on same bike

Old 09-12-2017, 10:16 AM
harleyboy63401
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyboy63401
My experience...just got home from the Black Hills....While riding needles highway we stopped at a look out...bike leaning to the left extra on slopped ground...come back to it and fluid is running on ground....I said screw it and just continued to ride...no alarms or issues. Checked it that night after cooling and very little level left in the tank. I decided to ride it without adding water or trying to find Harley fluid. I rode home 1000 miles riding 75 MPH without any issues.
Not sure what happened...it was warm that day with temps around 88 and running 25 mph. Bike was hot and fans seemed to run as before and as needed.

My dealer doesn't really have a qualified tech that I trust.....what do you all think is happening??

Thanks!!
I shared this back in June...When I returned I topped off my reservoir and added a little coolant to the system...it seemed to be full and stayed that way for awhile! I never noticed any other leakage so thought it was all good. Last week I thought the pump was real loud out on a ride...popped the cover off the lower to check the fluid...reservoir was bone dry!! No lights or temp warnings and bike ran fine!! Went to my dealer who has since hired what appear to be qualified techs??? They thought I was probably wrong that the pump was failing but took it in to check out! I was right ...the pump was out of commission!! Fortunately they had one in stock and replaced it and purged the cooling system! We will see how this one lasts!! 17,000 miles on the bike!!
The shop manager and one of the certified master techs did tell me that it is no issue to ride a 2014 thru 2016 Twin Cooled bike with a failed cooling system...and also said you could do the same with the M8 but you might want to stop every 50 miles or so to let the M8 cool down. Just what they said!!
I wasn't allowed to keep the pump as it was a warranty deal...they were supposed to send it back to Harley!!
Hope this pump last a little longer though!!
That's my story!!

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Can you ride with cooling system broken?