Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealing with salty roads

Old 04-30-2017, 07:49 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Dealing with salty roads

Here I am, stuck in Amarillo Texas waiting for the snow storm to pass. As I was planning this Route 66 trip, I was more concerned about salty roads for my 4/22 departure from Minnesota. But here I am, looking at salty roads on the way home instead .....

I don't think I should go to a high pressure car wash. I doubt I'll find any 'garden hose' options.
I'm probably 3-4 days from being back home.

Thoughts?

Old 04-30-2017, 08:19 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I've used the self service car washes with no issues. Just don't have the nozzle a foot from the bike. Stand back some.

The following users liked this post:
OldMike (04-30-2017)
Old 04-30-2017, 08:25 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Not sure how this really works, but a Dealer employee i know says he rides all year, and has a spray bottle, with vinegar, , which he sprays the bike with, it supposedly neuturalize's the salt, then washes accordingly,

Old 04-30-2017, 08:34 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Everyone freaks out over pressure washers on a bike but, it's all about where you point it and how far away you are, also nozzle selection (when home).

Ya, don't point it one inch away from the seals of the wheel bearings, ya, don't take off the air cleaner and wash the inside of the throttle body...see what I'm saying? Just use your head and you'll be good to go!

Pressure washers are a great way to wash a bike...with common sense. Next thing ya know, we'll have a legal disclaimer attached!

Old 04-30-2017, 08:36 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

Sounds like an awesome trip! When I ride early season salty roads, I get back and put the bike on the jiffy stand and grab a bottle of windex and a microfiber and get after it. When I pull into a town I'm staying I'll go to a store, buy a bottle and ask the hotel for a few cleaning rags and work on it in the parking lot. The self serve car wash is a great idea too but I'm always fearful that I'll do more harm that good. I've never tried the vinegar but it cleans everything else, I'm sure it does a banner job on undercarriage too. I wish vinegar didn't smell like vinegar though.

Best bet is to not overthink it. Enjoy the ride and clean it when you get home. The bike's not gonna fall apart from rust in 4 days! If you wanna wipe it down along the way, do it! Safe travels back to Minny

Old 04-30-2017, 09:01 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

We spent the month of Jan this year in Seal Beach, CA. Riding along the coast, 100 - 200 miles a day. After each ride, the bike was covered in salty slime. I worried a little, but took no steps apart from daily spray bottle and towel wipe down.

Now 3 months later there is no rust anywhere.

Old 04-30-2017, 05:12 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,559 Likes on 5,153 Posts

Once you get it clean and before riding on salty roads one product S100 makes that is out standing is S100 Corrosion Protectant. Been using it for years here in Wisconsin.
Spray it on and leave as is or buff it out, it will protect the bike wheel clean right up after a nasty ride.

Old 04-30-2017, 06:56 PM
jeffro09
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3,355 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Most car wash bays I've been too have a spot free rinse setting....which is very low pressure. Just rinse it off at the end of the day. Don't forget under the seat. That salt gets into every nook and cranny.

I washed mine at least 4 times, via the method above this February.

Old 04-30-2017, 11:29 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Turns out the roads from Amarillo to tucumcari showed little salt that I could see. Hosed it down at hotel. ( thanks, blue swallow!)

Might rinse again on trip home

Thanks for input

Old 05-01-2017, 12:43 AM
HKMark23
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,934 Likes on 1,111 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Turns out the roads from Amarillo to tucumcari showed little salt that I could see. Hosed it down at hotel. ( thanks, blue swallow!)

Might rinse again on trip home

Thanks for input
Good idea IMHO. I'm sure its different in different locations but road salt can be more than just salt. What they use up here is as good at dissolving cars as improving roads. You can't walk your dogs through it, it burns their paws.

Anyhow, no need to be alarmed about it but a rinse or two or three before you get home can't hurt and then I'd wash thoroughly once I got home if I were you. I'd avoid the high tech chemical miracle cleaners until after thorough washing and rinsing with water and soap.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dealing with salty roads