Sponsored by:

HD Headlight Visor Trim Gap Fix w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2017, 07:08 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default HD Headlight Visor Trim Gap Fix w/pics

I've been putting off installing the extended HD headlight visor trim ring because of the 1/8"-1/4" gap at the bottom of the ring. Did some searching on google the other day and found some info where someone cut a pice out of the factory trim ring to remove the gap in the new visor style ring.

I took my stock ring off and flipped the lower mounting hole 180 degrees then put new visor ring over it. Then I tightened new ring down and marked the gap on old trim ring with a fine sharpy marker. The gap was about a 1/4". I then put painters tape on outside of sharpy marks to make more visible. I then took a dremel with a cut off wheel and removed the 1/4" out of the factory ring. This will now allow the new visor ring to completely close and leave no gap at the bottom. I also removed the rubber ring clips inside the factory ring before cutting.

Here are some pics. Hope this will help with others that don't like the gap at the bottom of this new trim ring.

Chrome Visor Trim Ring
Name:  E518C1FA-B18C-4BED-9BCD-1A3D5EA7A3F9_zpslzacarje.jpg
Views: 8860
Size:  215.2 KB

Taped area of stock ring that needs removed
Name:  2FEEC0A0-20BA-4168-89D4-759D9AFD0C3E_zpsn2f4xttz.jpg
Views: 8862
Size:  176.0 KB

Stock trim ring after removing 1/4" of it. It sprung out to about a 1/2"
Name:  F06A7993-39B7-419F-B6E8-2149C3E13334_zpsohr8auww.jpg
Views: 8917
Size:  208.5 KB

New visor trim ring with now gap
Name:  9F865EDA-9C0A-4975-AE8C-455CACAC69C2_zpshuqsphfq.jpg
Views: 8947
Size:  218.7 KB

Old 05-05-2017, 03:21 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

I had simlar sucess closing the gap on, what Harley calls the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" on my 2015 Ultra Lmited. I did this by doing something a little different. What I did was to loosen the original Trim Ring before installing the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring." While doing this seems completely backwards; what loosening the original Trim Ring does, is that it opens space behind the original Trim Ring that (and this is important) disappears when the original Trim Ring is fastened tightly (the way it should be if it was the only Trim Ring). The new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" is designed to latch into the space that loosening the original Trim Ring opens up. When the original Trim Ring is fastened tightly the inside edge of the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" can't squeeze behind it. The result is that without loosening the original Trim Ring the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" is trying to close a slightly larger circle than it was designed to close. This results in "The Gap!" The "trick" is to loosen the original Trim Ring just enough to allow the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" to close completely, without being so loose that when you tighten the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" it doesn't secure both trim rings tightly to the Headlight Assembly.

Old 05-05-2017, 07:04 AM
GregGillette
Road Master
Received 247 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Bluehighways
I had simlar sucess closing the gap on, what Harley calls the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" on my 2015 Ultra Lmited. I did this by doing something a little different. What I did was to loosen the original Trim Ring before installing the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring." While doing this seems completely backwards; what loosening the original Trim Ring does, is that it opens space behind the original Trim Ring that (and this is important) disappears when the original Trim Ring is fastened tightly (the way it should be if it was the only Trim Ring). The new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" is designed to latch into the space that loosening the original Trim Ring opens up. When the original Trim Ring is fastened tightly the inside edge of the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" can't squeeze behind it. The result is that without loosening the original Trim Ring the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" is trying to close a slightly larger circle than it was designed to close. This results in "The Gap!" The "trick" is to loosen the original Trim Ring just enough to allow the "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" to close completely, without being so loose that when you tighten the new "Visor Style Headlight Trim Ring" it doesn't secure both trim rings tightly to the Headlight Assembly.
Exactly this. Took me a couple tries to get it right but mine closed up nicely and tightens both inner and outer at the same time

Old 05-05-2017, 07:30 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

But now you have ruined the stock ring and can no longer use it. Mine is on my second bike, you have no choice now even if just to sell it.

Old 05-05-2017, 08:41 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

this procedure is in the instructions that comes with the trim ring

Old 05-05-2017, 06:16 PM
bman7163
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I took the stock ring completely off the bike first. Then put new ring over it and tried to tighten down and it wouldn't completely close up. So that's when I decided the stock ring needed to be cut to allow for the new one to fit correctly.

Old 05-06-2017, 03:36 AM
Bluehighways
Stellar HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by 1HD1C
this procedure is in the instructions that comes with the trim ring
Yup . . . but then again . . . who reads the instructions? LOL Doing so turned out to be a good idea . . . . eventually . . . . for me anyway.

Advice to myself!

See the attached instruction sheet. Harley # -J05739

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
-J05739.pdf (83.3 KB, 398 views)
Old 05-06-2017, 07:58 AM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

holy crap..i got a headache reading this.

The following users liked this post:
X90 (01-05-2022)
Old 02-17-2018, 09:10 AM
AK883xl
Road Captain
Received 48 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by oakmossy
holy crap..i got a headache reading this.
me too.. ive done everything and i cant get mine to sit correctly on my light.

i dont want to have to break out the dremmel and fab it if its supposed to magically click into place.. but its not doing what its supposed to