2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traveling on the S.S. Badger - any tips?

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:39 AM
jdw1
Road Captain
Received 129 Likes on 86 Posts

We took the ferry a couple of years ago from Ludington to Manitowoc on our way back from Niagara Falls, we made our reservation on the boat one day ahead and that was fine, the one thing I would recommend is to make reservations for a room in Ludington at least a day or two ahead if you are on the morning crossing and staying in Ludington the night before, great town, good food, we stayed at the Viking Arms, very nice, independently owned motel and reasonable rates with parking right outside of your door! Fwiw

PS. Enjoy the ride, it's kind of a step back in time.

Last edited by jdw1; 05-21-2017 at 07:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jdw1:
Cosmic Razorback (05-21-2017), JDHunz (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 10:29 AM
JDHunz
Cruiser
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by jdw1
We took the ferry a couple of years ago from Ludington to Manitowoc on our way back from Niagara Falls, we made our reservation on the boat one day ahead and that was fine, the one thing I would recommend is to make reservations for a room in Ludington at least a day or two ahead if you are on the morning crossing and staying in Ludington the night before, great town, good food, we stayed at the Viking Arms, very nice, independently owned motel and reasonable rates with parking right outside of your door! Fwiw

PS. Enjoy the ride, it's kind of a step back in time.
It's like you read my mind. We got a room at the Viking Arms for the night before just so we could enjoy the town and be able to get to the dock on time.

Thanks for all of the tips - we are really looking forward to the trip to the U.P. and this boat ride will be a perfect ending before we head back to Iowa!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:17 PM
Radiochris
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Badgers? We don't need no stinking badgers!!!

Old 05-21-2017, 04:31 PM
bagga
Elite HDF Member
Received 600 Likes on 351 Posts

we crossed from manitowoc to luddington a few years ago on the badger. i had 2 tie down straps but only used 1. i leaned the bike over on the kickstand and strapped the left handlebar to the grated floor where the bikes parked. the bike never moved.

The following users liked this post:
JDHunz (05-21-2017)
Old 05-21-2017, 07:23 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

I'll be taking the Lake Express here in a couple weeks and I'll let ya know how it goes.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:06 AM
BigBadAllis
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Took the Badger from Ludington last year on a MC trip. I highly recommend making reservations since some days in the summer they are at full capacity. One advantage of booking the Badger over the Lake Express is you're pretty much guaranteed crossing on your scheduled time. Lake Express will not run on marginal (rough) water or less than optimum conditions. The Badger is a big old heavy steamer that can handle some rougher conditions due to the traditional design and weight.

I had two soft straps and used minimal force since there won't be much movement. Just placed them over the crash bars and put a slight downward pressure in them. I left the key fob in the tour pack.

As others have stated, take anything you want with you since you won't be allowed back to the parking deck after you leave. Good breakfast buffet too.

Old 05-22-2017, 08:20 AM
Bubbak
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Badger

The Badger is a smoother ride for sure and almost never misses a trip. The Lake Express is nick named the vomit comet by locals here. I would also recommend reservations also, gets busy in summer trips. Enjoy your trip. Bob

Old 05-22-2017, 08:21 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Yes the Lake Express is much faster, jet boat from what I could tell. 2 hours and your in Milwaukee but if you prefer slow then take the Badger. Either way you must make reservations because there is no guarantee you or a group you may be in will all get to go.
Defiantly take your own soft straps and ties as theirs are old, dirty and some have cuts. Also get upstairs and get inside ASAP because the seats fill up fast and its cold out on the deck seats.
Taking the boat sure beats the heck out of going thru Chicago traffic.

Old 05-22-2017, 07:33 PM
ADVNTR
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Get a state room, you can relax and even take a nap. If yer honey is with you you can have some fun.
Bring your own tie downs

Old 05-25-2017, 12:17 PM
matt76cmich
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 133 Likes on 124 Posts

The sea sickness on the Lake Express is what I'm worried about them most for my better half. I'm used to being on boats salmon fishing on Lake Michigan, but she had only been on pontoons on inland lakes and rivers.

Quick Reply: Traveling on the S.S. Badger - any tips?