Sponsored by:

What is the Difference

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2017, 07:10 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master
Received 103 Likes on 95 Posts
Default What is the Difference

Okay sorry i ask and I tried to look but asking opinions.

I have a 15 RGS, decatted stock header. Thinking of getting a V&H Power Duals.

Would I see any difference in power or torque?

I did a ride last weekend and yes it was warm and yes I felt heat on the right side, but the bike felt strong.

I like the looks of the V&H set up and the stock header decatted would be similar but wondering if or how much of a difference there actually is.

My question is anybody have the figures of showing any results or knowledge of any changes if there is?

Old 05-21-2017, 11:08 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

IMHO any increase you felt would likely be the placebo effect. Lots of money for little or no return performance wise.

Old 05-22-2017, 12:21 AM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

Power Duals (or any 2-1-2 header) will give you added performance for sure. Most likely 7-10 hp and 15 lb ft torque.

Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 PM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

^^^ OP says stock SG with decated headpipe ^^^

The only thing you will "see" is a way cooler looking headpipe. Since you already took your cat out, it is nearly as free flowing as the power duals. The only way you are going to see (feel) any more performance is to:

Increase air
Increase fuel
increase exhaust flow
then:
increase lift and duration with cams
head work
larger throttle body

If you had the same exact run on a dyno with both pipes, you might see 1 hp (maybe)

Old 05-22-2017, 06:15 PM
silveradoman2
Road Master

Thank you for the responses.

Kind of what I was expecting, was wishing other.

Yes Magnum1 the would look better, oh well

Save some money for Ohlins front and rear suspension now

Old 05-23-2017, 05:50 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Simply changing an air cleaner or pipes on any internal combustion engine provides very minimal performance upgrades. It's not until you get into head work, cams , etc do you find major performance gains. One poster said 7-10 hp gain or 15fp torque which would be relatively unnoticeable to any experienced rider. My bike is stock and i know how to push it through the power bands and its a rocket. I went from a 883r to a 103HO i know how to work the gears. I've flirted with the thought of slip ons for a slightly louder sound but my stock mufflers under load are getting louder with every mile and sound great as is.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:20 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 275 Likes on 204 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
^^^ OP says stock SG with decated headpipe ^^^

The only thing you will "see" is a way cooler looking headpipe. Since you already took your cat out, it is nearly as free flowing as the power duals. The only way you are going to see (feel) any more performance is to:

Increase air
Increase fuel
increase exhaust flow
then:
increase lift and duration with cams
head work
larger throttle body

If you had the same exact run on a dyno with both pipes, you might see 1 hp (maybe)
You will see more than 1 hp. It's not just the looks. When you have multiple cylinders going into a common pipe (X pipe) there is a factor called scavenging in which the exhaust pulses from one cylinder assist the evacuation of the exhaust of another. That pulls more of a charge in during the intake cycle. If used with a tuner and dialed in correctly, you will see 7-10 gains and even more.

Old 05-23-2017, 09:48 PM
FlyingSkeet
Road Captain
Received 85 Likes on 61 Posts

Fuel moto air box, power duels, Rinehart exhaust, power vision tuner. 85 HP 98 torque 2015 LTD

Old 05-24-2017, 10:25 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

Originally Posted by '14 Limited
You will see more than 1 hp. It's not just the looks. When you have multiple cylinders going into a common pipe (X pipe) there is a factor called scavenging in which the exhaust pulses from one cylinder assist the evacuation of the exhaust of another. That pulls more of a charge in during the intake cycle. If used with a tuner and dialed in correctly, you will see 7-10 gains and even more.
You can't pull what isn't there. Stock lean fuel delivery, stock restricted air cleaner. What are you going to scavenge from? His question was, how much gain from a stock de-catted headpipe to a power dual? Is it worth the $600.
I asked V&H tech the question:

Mark M. That exhaust will require a tuner for the bike to tun properly
Mark M. Also with the proper mapping you will get a increase in Horsepower/Torque
11:17
Tracy Methena Hi Mark. I know you need a tune and intake. This guy is trying to say there would be a 7-10 HP gain from stock minus cat, to power duals. I told them without more air and fuel, results would be negligable.
11:18
Tracy Methena If they have stock headpipe without the cat, and spend $600 for the power dual headpipe, will they see much of a gain? How much?
11:20
Mark M. Right that is true. To see those numbers you do need a tuner and high air flow intake. I would say about 5-6 Horse and 4-5 Torque. 9-10 gain would be are Pro pipe

Unless I see a dyno report from someone with the exact situation as the OP, I won't believe what you are saying. Taking off a de-catted headpipe and install power duals and run the dyno, no map, no intake, just the headpipes. This is what the OP's question was.

Old 05-24-2017, 11:03 AM
silveradoman2
Road Master

I have a stock header decatted, Stage 1, SE Hi Flo A/c, FP3 Tuner and Bassani DNT's.

That's what she has at this time. Yes I like the look of the X pipe.

So I guess I am close to what the V&H Rep said w/o the power duals.

Quick Reply: What is the Difference