2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I'm gonna burn this MF down... WTF is this noise!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2017, 08:37 PM
sixshooter
Road Master
Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default I'm gonna burn this MF down... WTF is this noise!?!?

This is really pissing me off. Only on startup and only at the end my oil change intervals. Yes, I have rocker lockers installed. Yes, the lifters have been replaced with S&S. Yes, the compensator has been replaced with a Baker unit. No, the primary chain is not overtight in any spots. This is driving me in****ingsane. This is a milder version of it. Sometimes it'll sit and rattle on startup for a solid 4-5 seconds and loud enough to catch the attention of passersby. Any ideas?

Old 06-03-2017, 09:06 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

What oil are you running? Syn oil is great for a lot of things.... noise isn't one of them.

Try some Spectro 25-60 dino oil, you might be very pleasantly surprised.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below... For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sporsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 06-03-2017, 09:17 PM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 888 Likes on 533 Posts

While his video didn't really show me anything, I can relate to what he is going thru. My 96"2011 FLHR will do the same thing on occasion. Primary chain will rattle/slap loud as hell, other times nothing. Currently running Formula Plus in the primary but gonna try some Spectro next time( also gonna give the Spectro 25w-60 a shot). OH YEAH, it just became an oil thread!!!

Old 06-04-2017, 05:37 AM
arnie54
Tourer
Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

I can't detect anything from that video. I noticed you removed your rear shifter. Take your remaining one loose & push it tighter against the rubber bushing & retighten. I had a noise in that area & by doing the above, I no longer do. Just a maybe.

Old 06-04-2017, 05:48 AM
1HD1C
Stellar HDF Member
Received 180 Likes on 139 Posts

I did not watch the video as I didn't want a visual so all I did was listen to the sound it is making and i know you said lifters were replaced BUT that sounds like a lifter that is leaking down slightly to me.. pumps up as soon as pressure builds

Old 06-04-2017, 06:04 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

I run either HD non-synthetic or Mobil1, it does it with either oil. The lifters were replaced because that's exactly what it sounded like was happening. Still have the exact same noise with S&S lifters that I did with factory. Rocker shaft end play is around .015", spec is no more than .025" so by the book, I'm ok there. I'll check out the shifter issue, but it doesn't seem like that's the problem. I checked my primary cover/cases on the inside when I put the baker compensator on, didn't see any evidence of the chain slapping the cases. This problem is really pissing me off, I just want it gone.

Old 06-04-2017, 07:42 AM
rod5557
Advanced
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like lifter noise. Try running some sea foam in engine oil. If lifters are a little gummed up, it will clean it up in 20 25 miles. I think it says how much to use per quart of oil on the can. Then change the oil.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:01 AM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

You mentioned the noise was more prominent towards the end of your oil cycle and just before the oil change. Have you checked your oil level before you change? Does the oil level drop any? Oil pressure will drop with lower oil levels. If you bike is consuming oil, via blow by, excessive crankcase pressure or possible another leak somewhere, your lower oil pressure will change many factors in your bike.

Old 06-04-2017, 08:37 AM
sixshooter
Road Master

The lifters are brand new 3k miles ago.

I do check the oil, it isn't losing anything noticeable. I've got a high volume oil pump in it as well.

Old 06-04-2017, 11:16 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

My 2016 will do this noise once in awhile. Pretty sure a lifter or two leaks down overnight. The noise lasts no more than one second.

I learned long time ago not to sweat noises that happen on a cold motor. What matters is noises on a hot motor and even most of those are of no account.

The following users liked this post:
Wildon883R (06-06-2017)

Quick Reply: I'm gonna burn this MF down... WTF is this noise!?!?