Sponsored by:

Tried a number of seats, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2017, 10:09 PM
cash64
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by GTK
Mean City Cycles has a tailbone mod made just for you.

Old 06-07-2017, 11:29 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Too bad on the Corbin - IF You were here in Calif and able to go to the Corbin factory - it would be a different story - Ride in appointment. I have had a Corbin on all my bike.. last EG had 88K on it, 4 coast to coast, 300+ miles a day for 6 weeks..
Best bet is to find a seat person where YOU can ride in and have it made for YOU..

The following users liked this post:
nytryder (10-08-2018)
Old 06-08-2017, 09:20 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

If you were closer, you could stop by, and i'd let ya try out my super tour, iv'e since went with the Dual tour. If your'e ever in my neck of the woods, in the near future, get a hold of me, can give the seat a whirl. I'm about 15 min east of Toledo, on the lake

Old 06-08-2017, 09:27 AM
cwsharp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 112 Posts

Dealerships are supposed to have "fit" experts. The combination of footboard locations, seat support location, and handlebar dimensions are ALL part of the comfort factor. Unfortunately that often results in a look that you don't like. There is no single item silver bullet in my opinion... except maybe for short rides (< 200 mi). The ergonomics of body position on a bike requires a way that you can test the different configurations on your style of bike but dealers in general don't invest in the body fit set of bikes that allow for quick change components. So you have to rely on someone's opinion/knowledge/experience and if you really want to get it right you will probably spend more getting there than you wanted to even if you don't mind how the bike looks after you're done.

Old 06-08-2017, 09:59 AM
Ultra2017dave
Advanced
Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the same problem(s). Lucky I have a custom seat builder a few blocks form my work Mr Eds Motorcycle Seats

http://www.mredsmoto.com/

HE is good value too, $500 if I only want the rider part messed with. Its a all day process where I sit with him and he measures and molds the seat and i get on and off until its right. And if its not right (at anytime i think) he will modify it for free.

I have a friend who used his seat to ride 16,000 miles on a Dirt bike. So I am guessing he can sort me out. I will let you know the results in a few weeks

Old 06-08-2017, 03:14 PM
dynarider1821
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Most dealers have a 30 day return policy, buy the seat you want to try then ride on it for a few weeks. If you don't like it, return and try something different. Repeat until you find what you want. I've been thru 2 different seats this way and still looking

Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM
Wildon883R
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I am looking for a seat that wont push into my tailbone, but is soft enough to not hurt my sit bones.

I have 2 seats for my current bike (2015 RG) and had many different ones for my old bike. Also have an Airhawk pad (it helps - but not good enough)

I have an Ultra seat and a stock seat for the 2015, the stock seat hurts my sitbones and tailbone, and the ultra seat hurts my tailbone.

I have had my seats that didn't work for me that I bought for my old 06. They Include

Corbin Dual tour (worst of the bunch - Hard a a rock, and the pain was unbearable)
HD Zeppelin Seat - great seat, but sat me too high + it's ugly
The stock seat - Same issues with the tailbone
A Street Glide Seat from an 07 - Same Issues with both sit and tail bone
Hammock Seat (97-07 style) - this seat was OK, but it moved me back quite a bit. and had to reach for the bars - so riding position wasn't comfortable.

The one I ran for years was a road glide seat off of an 02- which was the best that I tried.

Given the 02 seat wont fit on my 15, I'm not sure what will do the job for me on the Rushmore.

I have very little meat on my back side, so I need something cushy for my sitbones, and I'm thinking a seat curved in the back may help with the tailbone issues

I run a Mustang riders backrest, and ride solo 99% of the time.

Thinking a mustang super tour or a sundowner deep bucket, but am also looking for options to look at. - Suggestions?
I have the hammock and position movement over stock is pretty much negligible . I did raise me up enough probably just over an inch. No noticeable riding position change over that. I drive a 15 RGS so for somebody my height the stock bars and hammock seat position are perfect. I'm 6 feet and a lil.

Old 06-08-2017, 07:11 PM
RandyJK
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

Love my Mustang touring seat and backrest..

Old 06-09-2017, 07:18 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

I just ordered a Saddleman Roadsofa LS which is supposed to be here next Friday. I called and talked to David who really helped me pick the seat. I have the same basic problem as the Op I am 5'6" 250 lbs and no butt and have tried a bunch of seats and modified even more. Currently I have a Hammock on my '14 tk and just got home from a 400 mile trip and hurt so bad I didn't want to get back on my bike for a while so I have been looking at the Saddleman seats for a long time but just didn't want to spend that much.
Saddleman has a program where they send you the seat, you ride it for a week and see if it is the one for you if not he said to call him back for another week and if you still don't like it return it for a full refund except the shipping so I am going to try it.

Old 06-09-2017, 09:11 AM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Don't know if you have tried this, but an adjustable back-rest will make the worst seat into a new seat.

Quick Reply: Tried a number of seats, what next?