Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tried a number of seats, what next?

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2017, 08:18 PM
Adventure Nut
Advanced
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any news on your Road Sofa after it was returned to you, Santajim? I am in the process of picking up my Road Sofa LS this Thursday and was curious what the outcome was on yours?

Old 08-15-2017, 10:22 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

The new Tallboy seat might be worth a gamble. I have the Rushmore Hammock seat and it's not bad.I just think there is something better but maybe my butt is just going to get sore after 2 hours and maybe I'm peeing on a flat rock.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:13 AM
Super08
Supporter
Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

Idahokid I think once you start getting older that is true. When I was young I could ride all day on the cheap seats that came stock on import bikes back in the 70's and think nothing of it. Not the happening anymore.

The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (08-18-2017)
Old 08-16-2017, 05:41 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

To you guys that have or recently bought the Harley Hammock, be sure you reinforce the sling retainer.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...eat-sling.html

Old 08-17-2017, 06:51 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member

Received 324 Likes on 222 Posts

Ok I have had my Road Sofa LS back on the bike for about a month and it keeps getting more comfortable. I have about 2k on it and I can do longer days on it. I have found out that I have a Ham String problem so I have to get off of the bike about every 100 miles but by then I have to Pee anyway( I am a diabetic so have to pee a lot) I really like the way to RS puts you into the seating position, you feel like you are in the bike not on it. It's a keeper for me.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:28 PM
GLW Mike
Club Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I thought i would throw my input in. I have about 1,200 miles on my Saddleman Road Sofa LS Extrended version.
Being 6'3" and 310lbs, i needed the legroom. I put a Harley old style Tallboy seat the day i got my Limited last year. I hated the lack of back support and how much i slid around on it. Girlfriend found the wider passenger part, would dig into under her thighs and not comfortable.

My thoughts so far with the Roadsofa LS. Its an attractive looking seat, to me anyways. The extended version moved me back enough to be comfortable. It is firm, very firm. It seems to be getting a bit softer, but at 100 miles, my butt still needs a break. In fairness, i get sore after awhile sitting in any chair,etc. I found no more pain with my tailbone or girlfriends tailbone with Roadsofa. A problem we both had with the Tallboy. The narrower passenger section on Roadsofa was much better for girlfriend and she is pleased with that. Her legs have a clear path to footrest and no pinching under her thighs.I love the better back support and i worried buying the non backrest version, if i would regret it. Nope...i have no need for a backrest. The shape of the seat locks me in, gives me back support and no more shifting around. Big improvement for me over old style Harley Tallboy.

i do wish it was a little bit softer..did i say it was very firm! Also it comes with waterproof rain cover for when parked, but wonder how water filled it would get riding in heavy rain. Only been in light rain so far since getting it.

so...im gonna give it another 1k miles. I really like it but if it doesnt soften up anymore, i may look to try another seat , just to see if a softer seat works better.

Old 08-17-2017, 08:13 PM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

So, is there any seat that one can expect to ride more than about an hour before you NEED to get off the bike?

This past weekend, I rode 300 miles. 2-legs of 150 miles in one day. By the end of the trip, I was miserable. I have been through 4 seats (riding a '17 RGU), and am back to the stock seat - still not good.

Granted, I am 61 years old, and about 40 pounds overweight. But I am really disappointed that I can't ride distances without crippling pain in my *** and back.

I don't mind spending the money for a good seat, if it is, in fact, a quality, comfortable seat. But I am getting tired of spending big money for seats that drive me off the bike after only an hour, and then after a rest, only good for another 30 minutes.

This thread should be a sticky.

Last edited by bradn; 08-17-2017 at 08:17 PM.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:05 AM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by bradn
So, is there any seat that one can expect to ride more than about an hour before you NEED to get off the bike?....

This thread should be a sticky.
Agree. I have the Mustang combo w/backrest and love it but after ~100 miles my butt gets a little numb and have to stretch, which my wife doesn't mind as it gives her a bathroom break!

All bodies are different and react differently to different seats. Problem is it's so expensive to keep trying new ones out.

Old 08-18-2017, 07:41 AM
Steel Wheels
Road Master
Received 296 Likes on 167 Posts

I'm beginning to think comfort is mental as much as anything else, within reasonable parameters. After going through all of these posts I realized something.

I'm 63, fairly healthy, and exercise regularly. Keep my weight to around 165, and have 2 saddles - a stock 2010 Road King Classic ( because I like the look ), and a Hammock.

Just returned from a 700 mi. round trip and had zero issues with my RKC saddle. The return leg was done with one fuel stop on my '17 Road King. I covered 355 mi. in 5 hrs, and beyond stretching my legs a bit had no problems.

I'm convinced that motorcycling is a sport, and to fully enjoy it too many of us ignore our own fitness in order to pursue it happily.

Not pointing fingers - just saying what I think a lot of the problem could be. If you want to ride you're going to have to realize that these things aren't Buicks, and never can be.

Old 08-18-2017, 08:27 AM
bradn
Road Master
Received 216 Likes on 174 Posts

Originally Posted by Steel Wheels
I'm beginning to think comfort is mental as much as anything else, within reasonable parameters. After going through all of these posts I realized something.

I'm 63, fairly healthy, and exercise regularly. Keep my weight to around 165, and have 2 saddles - a stock 2010 Road King Classic ( because I like the look ), and a Hammock.

Just returned from a 700 mi. round trip and had zero issues with my RKC saddle. The return leg was done with one fuel stop on my '17 Road King. I covered 355 mi. in 5 hrs, and beyond stretching my legs a bit had no problems.

I'm convinced that motorcycling is a sport, and to fully enjoy it too many of us ignore our own fitness in order to pursue it happily.

Not pointing fingers - just saying what I think a lot of the problem could be. If you want to ride you're going to have to realize that these things aren't Buicks, and never can be.
I'm sure that if I weighed 175 pounds, that may help. But one of my riding buddies is my age, with a very slight frame, and very active - good shape physically. And he can't ride for more than about an hour either before it starts to get uncomfortable.

Oh well...

Quick Reply: Tried a number of seats, what next?