Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to name a waypoint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2017, 07:32 AM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

I can say that after i took the file from ride planner, opened it up in myrouteapp and named the waypoints, i then took to bike and installed it and all of them came up labels just like i put them? SO far it seems to work. I leave saturday with my club and will be going on a 2300 mile week long trip, we will see. Thanks

Old 06-21-2017, 08:37 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Good to see that you were able to get them renamed.

Not sure why the others aren't getting the system to work for them following the waypoints. I just got back from a trip to WV and made trips for the way down and back and also long day rides. Never had one issue with the GPS trying to not follow the routes I planned out.

One thing I did before leaving was load all the routes into my bike and then start them each. I went through the directions on the bike comparing them to the directions on Ride Planner to make sure they both matched up. They did, so I knew the bike would go where I wanted it to. Definitely didn't hurt to double check.

Old 06-21-2017, 09:59 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I started using motogoloco a few months ago. Still learning, but easier than Ride Planner and a hell of a lot easier than BaseCamp.

Old 06-22-2017, 08:08 AM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Would someone who has a route, that ALWAYS

1) displays upcoming waypoint names at the bottom of the BOOM screen

AND

2) displays waypoint names when you select 'skip waypoint'

be so kind as to attach the .gpx file ? I'd like to see how it behaves on my bike.

Thanks.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:44 AM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
I just finished a 10 day, 4,000 mile road trip to the East Coast of Canada.

I broke the trip down into 10 separate GPS files, with numerous waypoints in each trip to make sure I was forcing the BOOM GPS to go where I wanted it to.

Guess what.......it didn't work, ignoring my waypoints and only picking up a few of them. I tried selecting fastest routes, scenic, twisty, avoid highways, and multiple combinations of each. None of my routes followed all my waypoints.

Fortunately I mostly had my trips in my head and could take the roads I knew where the ones I was interested in.

I had contemplated bring my cheap Garmin Nuvi along just in case......I wish I had to avoid the cussing.

I don't know if its the HD Ride Planner (which is another test of my patience) or the GPS. I've concluded it's good for getting me home ....... nothing else
Just curious, how many waypoints do you mean when you say 'numerous'? I have never had waypoints ignored. I have accidentally dropped a waypoint on an adjacent road and had to 'skip next waypoint' to stop it from trying over and over to take me back to it, but never had waypoints that didn't show up.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:51 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts
Old 06-22-2017, 01:24 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MilesOfTexas
Just curious, how many waypoints do you mean when you say 'numerous'? I have never had waypoints ignored. I have accidentally dropped a waypoint on an adjacent road and had to 'skip next waypoint' to stop it from trying over and over to take me back to it, but never had waypoints that didn't show up.
I know you we're NOT addressing me ............. I agree that waypoint placement on a map is crucial. I've never had any waypoints 'skipped'. But to get TO my desired waypoint on my desired roads, often requires A LOT of waypoints to make it happen the way I want. And when I put in 'enough' of them, the desired roads are chosen.

What is a lot ? Since I've plotted routes for parts of the Lincoln Highway and Route 66, I probably needed 300 waypoints to get across Illinois (Joliet to St L). And even though HD BOOM supposedly allows 99 waypoints per route, BOOM would not open any MY routes with over 80 waypoints (causing me to split them up), so I've adopted a personal limit of 50 waypoints per route to ensure that they work.

If you name your waypoints, do they show up with the yellow flag and the waypoint NAME at the bottom of your BOOM screen ? Sometimes I get the name and sometimes its the street address. I'd rather see name I've given to the waypoint ('afton old gas station') rather then the address (w5523 Hwy 66).

And if you ever need to manually skip a waypoint, BOOM does not always list the waypoints by name - it shows the longitude/latitude for me, which its not as recognizable as 'cool old diner'.

If you guys are ALWAYS seeing waypoint NAMES, I hope its just a setting I need to tweek.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:56 PM
MilesOfTexas
Road Warrior
Received 159 Likes on 128 Posts

Well, I have never tried to plot Route 66 end to end, but I bet that is a challenge due to the number of highways and interstates it shares along the way. I plot all of my multi-day routes one per day, hotel to hotel. I usually find gas stations around 100 miles apart on my intended route and use those as initial 'stops'. If those aren't enough to keep my track, then I will add a waypoint or so inbetween the gas stops. Most times the gas stops work, plus it ensures I won't have to worry about finding gas stations along the way. When I am done, I convert those stops to waypoints.

Personally, I don't worry about naming waypoints. Mostly because I know that I am going to be at a gas station at around 100 miles, give or take 20 miles.

I did play with naming in the past, but just found it to be tedious and in the end didn't really find any benefit. I use the ride-planner to print the route to PDF before I convert the gas station stops to waypoints, then email it to myself. I can always look during one stop at the PDF to see how far it will be to the next one. No big deal.

I have been using the ride-planner this way for at least 80K of the 93K that I have on this bike, including several 4K+ mile trips and one 6300 mile trip, mostly without hickups. What little hickups I had were very trivial and didn't cause any issues.

Old 06-22-2017, 02:31 PM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by dh_meyer
Would someone who has a route, that ALWAYS

1) displays upcoming waypoint names at the bottom of the BOOM screen

AND

2) displays waypoint names when you select 'skip waypoint'

be so kind as to attach the .gpx file ? I'd like to see how it behaves on my bike.

Thanks.
Send me your email, it wont let me attach gpx file. thanks

Old 06-22-2017, 04:06 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
Send me your email, it wont let me attach gpx file. thanks

PM sent

Quick Reply: Is there a way to name a waypoint?