Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is there a way to name a waypoint?

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:25 AM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Is there a way to name a waypoint?

I have been watching videos and using this Boom nav for 3 years. It has at times, givin me fits. It's very finicky but i have managed to ride all over the south and north with it. I am leaving on a trip this weekend and instead of using locations on ride planner, i made them all waypoints. Ride planner itself says locations are "smart points" and when i load map with locations (hotels, gas, food) it breaks the ride all up and makes it difficult. Loaded with waypoints, it gives me the whole ride, just no names of waypoint stops. Is there a way to name a waypoint? I have tried google, YouTube, i cant really find an answer? Thanks

Old 06-20-2017, 10:50 AM
Cygnusx51
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,647 Likes on 1,076 Posts

I believe I read on the forum somewhere that you can open the .gpx file in a notepad or word format (since the file is all code anyhow) and you can edit the "waypoint" to say something like "Union St turn" or whatever else you want to name it. In the code, I believe they are named "waypoint 1", "waypoint 2", etc, so that's where you'd need to edit and change it.

Last edited by Cygnusx51; 06-20-2017 at 10:54 AM.
The following users liked this post:
rwven (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 10:57 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Cygnusx51
I believe I read on the forum somewhere that you can open the .gpx file in a notepad or word format (since the file is all code anyhow) and you can edit the "waypoint" to say something like "Union St turn" or whatever else you want to name it. In the code, I believe they are named "waypoint 1", "waypoint 2", etc, so that's where you'd need to edit and change it.
I just opened a .gpx file up in Notepad and yes you can see each way and via point and they are numbered .

Cygnusx51 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:11 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

When you open the .gpx in an editor like Notepad the Via Points will appear as:

<name>Via Point 1</name>

I think all you have to do is delete "Via Point 1" and insert whatever you wish in there.

<name>New Name</name>

Cygnusx51 (06-20-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 11:32 AM
bigrobtemp
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Thanks guys. I also found an app called myrouteapp.com. I was able to change them in there and i am getting ready to go try on bike. Not sure how it will show up on there.

Old 06-20-2017, 04:16 PM
dh_meyer
Road Captain
Received 92 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by bigrobtemp
Thanks guys. I also found an app called myrouteapp.com. I was able to change them in there and i am getting ready to go try on bike. Not sure how it will show up on there.
I use TYRE to produce .gpx files on my pc.

My experience has been that WAYPOINT names show up sometimes, but not always. I put a ton of effort into naming a TON of waypoints on my Route 66 trip, and unfortunately, very few were displayed - instead, a address-like name/long/lat coordinate was displayed.

I'm not sure if the lack of names being displayed is:

- my fault
- Tyre's fault (kinda doubt it - names appear on the PC)
- BOOM's fault

........ but I have a gut feel............

I've created numerous route the past few years, and have come to treat waypoint names as a 'bonus' when they display.

WAYPOINTS come in very handy, showing you what attractions are coming soon, and are helpful when needing to 'skip' a waypoint. Sure wish it worked. I know a few others have had the same issue as me.

Hope it works for you. Try a few - see if they display - before doing a mass update.

Old 06-20-2017, 05:43 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

I just finished a 10 day, 4,000 mile road trip to the East Coast of Canada.

I broke the trip down into 10 separate GPS files, with numerous waypoints in each trip to make sure I was forcing the BOOM GPS to go where I wanted it to.

Guess what.......it didn't work, ignoring my waypoints and only picking up a few of them. I tried selecting fastest routes, scenic, twisty, avoid highways, and multiple combinations of each. None of my routes followed all my waypoints.

Fortunately I mostly had my trips in my head and could take the roads I knew where the ones I was interested in.

I had contemplated bring my cheap Garmin Nuvi along just in case......I wish I had to avoid the cussing.

I don't know if its the HD Ride Planner (which is another test of my patience) or the GPS. I've concluded it's good for getting me home ....... nothing else

Old 06-20-2017, 06:55 PM
Billman812
Tourer
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

hit or miss it seems from others
I did 3 travel days of 5-600mi each, as their own trip with as many waypoints as ride planner will allow and it followed exactly. the only problem was when I forgot to initiate or we strayed and I tried to start nav from where we were. you don't know which point to use so I settled on moving to one that was way down the road and it worked out.

Old 06-20-2017, 07:42 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

There's a program called MotoGoLoco http://www.motogoloco.com/ IIRC some on here have used it and I think you can name the waypoints. I've used it once or twice, never really named the W/P's but it works pretty well.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:25 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,721 Likes on 6,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Candubrain
I just finished a 10 day, 4,000 mile road trip to the East Coast of Canada.

I broke the trip down into 10 separate GPS files, with numerous waypoints in each trip to make sure I was forcing the BOOM GPS to go where I wanted it to.

Guess what.......it didn't work, ignoring my waypoints and only picking up a few of them. I tried selecting fastest routes, scenic, twisty, avoid highways, and multiple combinations of each. None of my routes followed all my waypoints.

Fortunately I mostly had my trips in my head and could take the roads I knew where the ones I was interested in.

I had contemplated bring my cheap Garmin Nuvi along just in case......I wish I had to avoid the cussing.

I don't know if its the HD Ride Planner (which is another test of my patience) or the GPS. I've concluded it's good for getting me home ....... nothing else
Just had the same experience. It really stinks. I spend hours creating the routes and it was like it had a mind of its own. But from doing that planning like you and with the help,of Google Maps on my phone I pretty much did the ride from my head.

Quick Reply: Is there a way to name a waypoint?