Sponsored by:

No "Cat", but still HOT

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2017, 01:09 PM
Hurricane19
Road Captain
Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Two Lane Tramp
I have ceramic headers and a PV tuner and I can still feel the heat in traffic. Air cooled motor!! Am thinking of Love Jugs or a fan assist oil cooler. guess the wet head may be my next bike.
This^^^^^^^^ I've never ridden a Harley that was not hot in the summer. You may want to look into a Goldwing, my neighbor bought one and raves about how much cooler it is compared to his previous 2013 Limited he had. I told him I'm sure it is cooler but ONLY temperature.......Gramps!!

Old 06-22-2017, 08:31 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,262 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I had a new 2014 SGS for 6 months, decatted headpipe, a/c, pipes and a PC5 with a canned tune. It was hot

Got a new 2014 FLHTK. Transferred everything over, much better but still on the hot side. The fans would be on at every stoplight in slow traffic, and when I pulled in the garage.

About 16 months ago, I put on a Fuel Moto SS ceramic coated headpipe, and Jackpot slip ons. Fuel Moto sent me a custom map for my PC5. The difference is unbelievable. The fans haven't kicked on since. The Headpipe has less then half the weight of a decatted headpipe. Nothing for heat to hold on to.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:15 AM
russ33541
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 205 Likes on 203 Posts

I ran into the same problem when I replaced the stock header with another that had the cat removed.
Then I installed a ceramic coated head pipe from Fuel Moto and its a world of difference. It dropped the heat by at least 75%.
Couldn't be happier.

Old 06-24-2017, 06:41 AM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
Currently on a road trip and my right side is HOT, especially around my right foot. I've removed the Cat and had my bike tuned. Question- I'm now considering having the dealer install V&H PowerDuals. Will these reduce some of the heat? I'm riding a 16 Limited.

Thanks!
I rode my '15 Limited for several hours in 90+ temps a few days ago and didn't notice any (engine) heat at all, nor have I ever. There was some stop & go traffic too.

The only heat I've ever noticed is the surrounding air and the sun hammering on me.

Engine is factory-stock, other than S&S Premium lifters and "quickie" adjustable push rods that eliminated the valve noise, OEM exhaust & tune.

FWIW, I love mine just the way it is!

Last edited by jpooch00; 06-24-2017 at 06:51 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:08 PM
RandyJK
Advanced
Received 26 Likes on 15 Posts

This helps with the heat a lot was out riding today and found it makes a big difference on my thigh ..

Old 06-24-2017, 08:10 PM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by RandyJK
This helps with the heat a lot was out riding today and found it makes a big difference on my thigh ..
Doesn't that rub on the paint?

Old 06-24-2017, 10:50 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 421 Likes on 284 Posts

have you tried any non ethanol fuel , look on fuelfinder.com to check if there is any where you live that's what I use in both of my HD at least 90 octane , gasbuddy is another sourse

Last edited by talkingrock; 06-24-2017 at 10:53 PM. Reason: info
Old 06-26-2017, 09:30 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by silveradoman2
I was thinking about doing the change as well. Most people say that the factory decatted header is basically the same as the V&H Power Duals, The main difference is $$$$$ and looks.
That's what I'm hearing. I called Vance and Hines and they said the Power Duals should reduce the heat more than just decatting. I'm willing to try. Very frustrating though.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:31 AM
tringle
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Oko
For what it's worth, do you have the lower vents open? I've found myself leaving them closed for the first 10-20-miles on hot days because I've been closing them on the cooler spring days in Central NY. I just forget until my legs get toasty. I too, have a '16 Limited.

The lower vents are open. I do have fork deflectors, but I can't imagine that causing all the heat. The deflectors are a must at speeds greater than 70.

Old 06-26-2017, 09:40 AM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

Originally Posted by tringle
The lower vents are open. I do have fork deflectors, but I can't imagine that causing all the heat. The deflectors are a must at speeds greater than 70.
Why can't you imagine them causing heat? I agree, I like having them. But if you think about what they do, it's to redirect air. Your lowers are meant to do the same thing while protecting your feet. They direct air at your motor and through the radiators as well. BUT - if you have fangs, the air gets pushed to the outside of the lowers, reducing their ability to funnel air to your motor.

This was brought to my attention by the speed shop at a dealer I bought the bike from. Basically the guy scolded me like a child for starving the motor of air and causing an overheating condition.

I would at least try it without the fangs and see if there is an improvement. Other than that, I would run a tuner to cool things down. I don't trust dyno tunes anymore, having had a couple bad ones. I would rather get it to 95% with a tuner than some hack get it wrong on a dyno.

Quick Reply: No "Cat", but still HOT