Sponsored by:

Heated grip Assistance in Hampton Roads

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2017, 07:23 AM
benningtonr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated grip Assistance in Hampton Roads

how hard is it to replace the stock heated grips? On the way to work this morning I got black rubber crud all over my pants before I realized my hands were black from the grips. I just rode it yesterday and did not have this issue. Anyway I want to put a set of heated airfoils on, I know the dealer will want 200 buck at least. Looking for someone that has done it before and might have some free time Sunday to help me change them out, before my trip to WV next week. Okay maybe not free time but inexpensive time 😎

Old 06-23-2017, 07:35 AM
benningtonr
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Or, does anyone know of a way to treat the grips, so that the rubber will stop coming off on my hand?

Old 06-24-2017, 05:43 AM
plongson
Road Master
Received 326 Likes on 151 Posts

Replacing stock grips is not easy...it 'aint rocket science but still no fun, kind'a like digging a hole with a shovel. Fishing wires through skinny stock bar diameter and the fact some disassembly is required makes it a PITA. The finished product makes it all worth while though. Good time to change the bars too...

Maybe wear gloves and don't rub your pants?

The following users liked this post:
benningtonr (06-26-2017)
Old 06-24-2017, 05:55 AM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,740 Likes on 6,891 Posts

It is not hard at all. You just need to do your research, watch a few you tube videos and plan to spend an hour or two.

I tackled new handle bars and put all the wiring internal by myself and enjoyed doing it.

Old 06-24-2017, 07:48 AM
tpcowfish
Road Warrior
Received 192 Likes on 169 Posts

Usually, if you have anything like oil on your hands, it does this, make sure hand's are clean of anything, it causes the rubber on grips to deteriate,. I got a set of grip cover's from Adventure designs, like a covered foam, that velcro's on, little bigger grips, but heat still comes through, and more comfortable for me

Old 06-24-2017, 08:04 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

I ride with gloves 99% of the time. When taking a really short ride, I may go gloveless - have never seen and grip residue.

Sorry I can't help with changing - but do support the idea of using gloves.

Old 06-24-2017, 08:05 AM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

I added Foam to mine, like them allot:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/new-r...l#post15374828

Old 06-24-2017, 09:31 AM
cpbedor
Road Warrior
Received 201 Likes on 165 Posts

So your stock grips are set up to be wired internally. The wires exit from the grip into the bar end. ALL P&A grips are not made that way. The grips you're talking about, specifically the left side grip is wired to come outside the grip forcing you to route it around the switch pack and down outside the bar. You can drill another hole in your bars on the other side of the left control switch pack and reinsert that wire grouping which is a PITA but the left side grip will NOT take the same route as the stock heated grip. You have two options through HD for internally wired grips: replace the worn grips with a set of stock grips. There's thousands of guys like me who took those stock grips off as soon as we got home with the new bike and have them sitting in a box in their rafters that will sell them pretty inexpensively...OR you can choose a grip from the CVO P&A book. CVO grips are made to be internally wired, standard P&A grips are not. CVO grips will run about $500 if I'm not mistaken. Been a while since I've needed that information but they're expensive as hell. They will however maintain your internal wiring. Best of luck but before you buy a set of grips off the shelf, have a look at the left side grip and see where the wire comes out from. Unless HD made a change to their product line in the last 2 years, you will find this information accurate.

Old 06-24-2017, 12:35 PM
A206Driver
Tourer
Received 41 Likes on 13 Posts

How about leather grip covers. A lot easier than changing them out.
Try these - https://www.denniskirk.com/drag-spec...prd/H59013.sku

benningtonr (06-26-2017)
Old 06-25-2017, 08:54 PM
almostakeeper
Grand HDF Member

Received 4,262 Likes on 1,802 Posts

I tried the leather grip covers for a few weeks. Could not get used to the seam, plus they made the grips a lot bigger than I expected. Back to my gloves.

benningtonr (06-26-2017)

Quick Reply: Heated grip Assistance in Hampton Roads