Sponsored by:

Something funny on the gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2014, 06:18 PM
shore
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Something funny on the gauges

Yesterday while riding, I noticed the inside of the speedo and Tach looked like they where wet....very tiny running wet small lines. The odd part was it slowly crept downwards on the face. Almost like a gel? It was only visible in direct sunlight and I simply could not see it an hour later. I looked today with a flashlight and see nothing.

Bike hasn't been wet in a month but I did put a new windscreen on it yesterday.

No way this was water. It left a trail as it crept downwards. I almost thought it to be a reflection and maybe I was a just crazy.

any ideas on this?

Old 11-03-2014, 09:01 PM
xhere
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many on here have had same complaint, early in the summer mine done the same thing and I spoke to Dealer and they was going to replace the speedo but a couple of weeks later it disappeared and never returned. I did not have it replaced.

Old 11-03-2014, 09:37 PM
gs46
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

See this thread " Something on the inside of speedo glass" it was on page 5 the last time I looked but could be further back now.I started the thread after seeing what you have seen, the dealer changed mine with a new unit but I could see the same thing in it... Dealer ordered another new one with same results. I fixed it myself by dismantling gauge unit and replacing glass....
There is some kind of coating on the inside of the glass (maybe anti fog) I don't know but it was so annoying to me I replaced the glass myself....have not had any problem since.
MOCO has a problem and is not addressing it .... they have to know about it.....they should be investigating and coming up with a solution, recall and swap with fixed units..!!

Old 11-03-2014, 10:05 PM
hanny
Road Captain

if its water/moisture I guess theres at least 2 ways it could get in there. 1. leaking in thru the glass after a wash or rain 2. When cold meets hot, water is formed (like condensation on a pipe) but I doubt that would be the deal?
I guess it could be some sort of coating (like has been said) like antifog or dielectric grease like stuff? either way I agree they should have a fix for it pronto!!!!!!! its kind of important that the gauges work properly.. .good luck with it. paul

Old 11-04-2014, 06:25 AM
eqcons
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by shore
Yesterday while riding, I noticed the inside of the speedo and Tach looked like they where wet....very tiny running wet small lines. The odd part was it slowly crept downwards on the face. Almost like a gel? It was only visible in direct sunlight and I simply could not see it an hour later. I looked today with a flashlight and see nothing.

Bike hasn't been wet in a month but I did put a new windscreen on it yesterday.

No way this was water. It left a trail as it crept downwards. I almost thought it to be a reflection and maybe I was a just crazy.

any ideas on this?
Having mine replaced for the same problem.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:39 AM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 118 Posts

I have this same issue. Whatever it may be it is permanent, always there you just have to have the light just right to see it. On my previous bikes I would have some condensation inside my gauges from time to time depending on the conditions. I have never had any condensation in the gauges of this Rushmore bike. I think this could be some coating on the inside of the glass to prevent condensation but poorly applied.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:41 AM
Powergod
Tourer
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Weirded now I need to watch mine

Old 11-04-2014, 08:31 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

Well dang, thought I might be imagining it. I've got 500 miles on her but yesterday was cold and it was the 1st time I have seen it and it was very obvious in the sunlight....then it was gone.

Its not water, it's more of a paint run type look and very thin. I could differentiate if it was on the inside glass or the gauge face. My money is on the inside glass. I'll pull it out in the sun today and see if I can get a pic of it. My sunglasses might very well be helping me see it.

who know, at least I wasn't imaging it.

Old 11-04-2014, 08:43 AM
shore
Stellar HDF Member

I just used an LED flashlight and I'm 99% sure this is on the glass. I put my sunglasses on and shined the light directly at it and I could see the etching/residue on the glass.

Old 11-04-2014, 07:24 PM
gs46
Intermediate

Didn't ANYONE read my post in this thread?

I have replaced both of the glasses in my gauge cluster, speedo and tach......IT IS ON THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS!! AND IT IS A COATING ON THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS!! AND I DID HAVE THE DEALER REPLACE MINE TWICE WITH THE SAME RESULTS!!! THE COATING ON THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS RUNS AND IS VISIBLE DURING THE PROPER LIGHTING AND DOES DISAPPEAR AT TIMES BUT ALWAYS RETURNS...... I DISASSEMBLED MINE AND REPLACED THE GLASS at a cost of $13.49 SO I KNOW IT IS A COATING ON THE INSIDE OF THE GLASS THAT IS THE CULPRIT, I'VE SEEN IT!!!......WHAT THE COATING IS FOR I'M NOT SURE, THINKING PROBABLY AN ANTI FOG COATING, MY BEST GUESS......

MOCO needs to be called by everyone so a recall and fix will be instituted!!! Get on the phone, and get to your dealer....!~!~

Quick Reply: Something funny on the gauges