Sponsored by:

Extended warranties?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2017, 01:26 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts
Default Extended warranties?

I am starting a new thread on this subject so it doesn't get buried in the "Boardtracker Warranty" thread.

My question is a simple one of cost versus benefit. On another Harley forum an owner of a 2014 TRike had a water pump go out. So that motorcycle is three years old, and she has had no other problems in the past.

The total before taxes was $540. She raved about the cost to her of only being a $50 deductible. However, she also said that covered 1/3 of the cost of the warranty. That means she paid about $1500, so she would still be about $1000 out of pocket. That $1000 would cover a LOT of repair work!

I have a 2015 Ultra Classic with ONLY 7800 miles. The factory warranty is up at the end of October, so I have to make a decision on either purchasing an extended warranty form Boardtracker for about $800 for an additional 2 years of coverage.

In y'alls educated experience with these newer Harleys, what could go wrong in the next two years that would cost me MORE than an $800 bill that I could cover out-of-pocket?

Old 07-24-2017, 01:51 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Of course there are things that "could" go wrong that would justify the cost of the extended warranty.

But ON AVERAGE, consumer spend more on warranty coverage than any benefits they receive from that warranty.

That isn't to say something won't happen to your bike tomorrow.
I am just saying the odds are in the warranty providers favor.

I have never purchased any extended warranties, and have never had anything go wrong that made me regret that decision.
But everyone has different circumstances.

Old 07-24-2017, 02:03 PM
rott_lab
Advanced
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I am in the same situation regarding deciding whether to get the extended or not. For me, I thinking I WILL get it...

I have a '16 SGS that I recently bought off a friend. While he owned it, the transmission went out, and the dealership (Boardtracker actually) put in a new transmission. I doubt I will have engine/transmission issues, but I'm more concerned about all the electronics and what could go wrong with those.

As mentioned "most" people pay more into extended warranties, than they recoup on covered repairs. If that weren't the case, the extended warranty companies would go out of business.

It's a gamble, and there is no way to know if you'll be ahead getting it or not...

Old 07-24-2017, 02:25 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 601 Likes on 324 Posts

I have a 16 Road King and the warranty runs out in September. I have kicked this idea around and think that I will purchase the extended warranty. To date no issues with this bike but with ABS,cruise control,and some other goodies maybe it will pay off. It would be a plus too if I decide to sell the bike with a warranty still on it ..

Old 07-24-2017, 03:33 PM
cwickgo9
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

My only argument is with HD extended vs 3rd party extended.
HD's 1 year was almost $1500 and was into multiple thousand for more years.
My thoughts were if I needed $2K worth of warranty on a bike under 10K miles, its a piece o' crap.
I did buy one, but I bought a 3rd party that covers almost as much for 5 years. The downside, of course, is making sure the dealer or finding a indy that will take it.
I've already had to use it for the front wheel bearings.

Old 07-24-2017, 03:34 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

I will never purchase an extended warranty. That includes cars, trucks and bikes. My reasoning is I hate dealership prices and repairs. If the vehicle is a lemon it will show up under factory warranty. Being married to a dealership is the worst nightmare situation I can possibly imagine. Even if it is covered it's a battle to get it repaired correctly and always takes them "way "too long. I am blessed with great wrenches for all my vehicles and would hate to lose the freedom of choosing who works on my bike.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:14 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

My opinion - one must understand the full process. You are opting to buy an extended service contract. In my case, when I purchased the 2014 in Sept. 2013, I opted for the extra 5 years - so, mine runs out in Aug 2020. So far, IO have only used it to replace my shocks and y headset. Shocks were 369 and headset was 189. Cost to me was $50 each.

Question is - in the next 3 years - what might go wrong? well, I have no idea - however, if something does, I am covered.

Just for the heck of it, I also purchased one for my GMC truck - have used it several times. I did not buy one for my Chev Equinox because I did not plan to rive that as much as the GMC.

Bottom line - do what is comfortable for you. I wanted one on the bike because of the "anticipated cost"

Old 07-24-2017, 05:32 PM
Kawickrice
Elite HDF Member
Received 3,247 Likes on 1,517 Posts

I average about 15,000 miles per year. I will buy an extended warranty when the factory warranty runs out next year. I will have around 30,000 miles on it when the factory warranty runs out. 5 year extended warranty should cover me to over 105,000 miles. Since my bike will see a lot of miles it's a no brainer for me.
My last 2 bikes I bought used with extended warranty and the service work claimed far exceeded the premiums paid.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:54 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Warranties are like lottery tickets, expensive and rarely pay off. Warranty companies make huge profits by denying claims. But if it gives you the warm and fuzzy feeling, it's cool.

Old 07-24-2017, 07:16 PM
Erilflynn
Road Master

Received 144 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by rott_lab
I am in the same situation regarding deciding whether to get the extended or not. For me, I thinking I WILL get it...

I have a '16 SGS that I recently bought off a friend. While he owned it, the transmission went out, and the dealership (Boardtracker actually) put in a new transmission. I doubt I will have engine/transmission issues, but I'm more concerned about all the electronics and what could go wrong with those.

As mentioned "most" people pay more into extended warranties, than they recoup on covered repairs. If that weren't the case, the extended warranty companies would go out of business.

It's a gamble, and there is no way to know if you'll be ahead getting it or not...
Damn the transmission went out om a '16?

Quick Reply: Extended warranties?