2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines crossover bracket/clamp broke!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2017, 05:16 PM
WeimaBrewer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance and Hines crossover bracket/clamp broke!

I have installed Vance and Hines Dresser Duals on my '14 SGS and noticed some clanking on bumps and when at idle. Low and behold I am missing a bolt for the crossover bracket and the clamp has snapped all the way through.

There is obviously alot of vibration as it is attached to the transmission block. Anybody else experience something like this? I sent pictures in an email to vance and hines expressing my concern as I am leaving for Sturgis in a week and dont want any issues to arise.

Attached Thumbnails Vance and Hines crossover bracket/clamp broke!-img_1760.jpg   Vance and Hines crossover bracket/clamp broke!-img_1759.jpg  

Last edited by WeimaBrewer; 07-30-2017 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Add pics
Old 07-30-2017, 06:20 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by WeimaBrewer
I have installed Vance and Hines Dresser Duals on my '14 SGS and noticed some clanking on bumps and when at idle. Low and behold I am missing a bolt for the crossover bracket and the clamp has snapped all the way through.

There is obviously alot of vibration as it is attached to the transmission block. Anybody else experience something like this? I sent pictures in an email to vance and hines expressing my concern as I am leaving for Sturgis in a week and dont want any issues to arise.
I have the same bike, same VH exhaust and experienced that break with this bracket. Reached out to VH for replacement and received NO response. Ticked me off they wouldn't even reply.

I had one of our shop mechanics at work weld it together for me. Repainted it and better than new now.

I believe it snapped pulling out of parking lot passing over a low drainage area bottomed out. I did reposition that 3/8 bolt/mounting clamp to be less exposed to that again. Been a while with no problems.

Hope that helps...

Old 07-30-2017, 06:53 PM
Taggs
Road Warrior
Received 441 Likes on 257 Posts

Originally Posted by WeimaBrewer

This seems to be holding up okay.

Old 07-31-2017, 07:44 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,405 Likes on 1,593 Posts

When I had the V&H power duals I snapped the bracket in that location and the one on the transmission several times until I reinforced them.

Old 07-31-2017, 10:44 AM
Ssitruc
Stellar HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 672 Posts

I have Rinehart head pipes and slip-ons and had the cross-over bracket break in the same way/place. On my Road Glide Ultra the bracket bolts to the back of the transmission right in the middle. I had contributed it breaking to my slightly dragging the end of the tailpipe leaving my driveway once... got to be careful because its a steep driveway. But the dealer told me they see a lot of them break there and the contributed it to vibration/movement. They initially just took the broken one off and threw it away, saying you don't really need it... I contacted Rinehart and they sent me a replacement. I'm keeping an eye on it for now.

Last edited by Ssitruc; 07-31-2017 at 10:59 AM.
Old 07-31-2017, 04:28 PM
imskier2
Road Captain
Received 27 Likes on 19 Posts

I had the same problem with my power duals, broke bracket while on road trip from Az to Pa. Noticed it while in York, Pa at my son's house. Contacted Mark at V&H and no questions asked shipped me one over night. Replaced it and rode in PA for 2 weeks, no problem. Rode 2500 miles and checked every night, clamp was OK. Got home after 5 days including tail of the dragon and clamp was broke, this time on the top of same clamp.
Called V&H they sent me 2, no charge. Great service.
I removed heat shield because I heard a rattle. Noticed bolt that goes into side of exhaust was gone and head pipe was broken in two. Now let me note that I installed these pipes when bike wss 1 day old with 10 miles on the clock. When this happened bike had 37,000 miles almost 2 years later. V&H sold me a new head pipe for $100.00, that retails for $286.42 plus tax.
I am very pleased with Vance & Hines and their service.

The following 2 users liked this post by imskier2:
GalvTexGuy (07-31-2017), WeimaBrewer (07-31-2017)
Old 07-31-2017, 07:40 PM
WeimaBrewer
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So I called Vance and Hines Indiana location and they are sending me all the necessary parts overnight. All claimed under warranty, but I feel it will just happen again if I dont modifiy it somehow. However, it may have been my fault. A couple years ago I curbed my left muffler (CFR) when parking, so that could have been when it happened.

Old 08-04-2017, 08:37 AM
goldie
Tourer
Received 42 Likes on 34 Posts

Hi all,
I had a similar situation but with the bracket that attaches my V&H true dual pipes to my transmission case. I was getting vibrations at higher rpm and it felt like it was hitting something on bumps. I had sheared one of the 2 bolts holding the bracket into tranny case and lost the other one. I had Arrowhead HD relieve all the tension on exhaust system by loosening all exhaust system bolts, retighten and torque starting at heads from front to rear. All good now. Hope that helps.....goldie