Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many cycles to flush ABS HCU?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2017, 06:30 PM
Rdcris
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Why can't a power bleeder be used? Attach power bleeder nipple on caliper valve, open it 1/2 turn apply air to power bleeder, make sure to keep master cylinder full.

Old 08-10-2017, 06:43 PM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Ok. This may sound stupid. But wondering if it would work. Put bike on jack. Flush system like normal. Now take about 30 feet of string place it taped onto center of rear tire rolling tire and wind up backwards taping every so often to keep it centered to make it like a pull (recoil start like) from bottom of tire. Turn ignition on. Get someone to press front brake as you open bleeder. Get a kid to run straight back pulling the string and spinning the rear tire. The system recognizes the rear tire spinning and front not spinning then abs kicks in pumping. Wondering if this would work.
Your right, that does sound stupid ! Basically removing fluid from reservoir with syringe and cracking bleed screws to flush, never let reservoir get low. I had a BMW R1150RT a while ago with the complicated wizzy brakes and there was sequence to follow plus a special funnel. I bet You Tube has some videos on this.

Old 08-10-2017, 08:48 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

Originally Posted by dave the welder
Your right, that does sound stupid ! Basically removing fluid from reservoir with syringe and cracking bleed screws to flush, never let reservoir get low. I had a BMW R1150RT a while ago with the complicated wizzy brakes and there was sequence to follow plus a special funnel. I bet You Tube has some videos on this.
I was saying to activate the abs pump

Old 08-11-2017, 06:08 AM
OldMike
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,837 Likes on 1,212 Posts

Originally Posted by K Melancon
Ok. This may sound stupid. But wondering if it would work. Put bike on jack. Flush system like normal. Now take about 30 feet of string place it taped onto center of rear tire rolling tire and wind up backwards taping every so often to keep it centered to make it like a pull (recoil start like) from bottom of tire. Turn ignition on. Get someone to press front brake as you open bleeder. Get a kid to run straight back pulling the string and spinning the rear tire. The system recognizes the rear tire spinning and front not spinning then abs kicks in pumping. Wondering if this would work.
I think this is how they do it at the dealer.

Old 08-11-2017, 08:46 AM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by ChunkChunkChicken
I just replaced the brake fluid on my 15 Limited. I know the dealer uses the Digitial Tech thingy or whatever it's called to flush out the HCU. Since I am doing this myself, I am asking how many times should I activate the ABS to get the new fluid in and old fluid out of the HCU? I am planning on changing the brake fluid again after the HCU is flushed out. I sleep a lot better when I can avoid going to the dealer for anything.

I just changed the brake fluid and gave it not much more thought about worrying about "activating" the ABS unit and certainly didnt go back and change it after I activated it by hitting the rear brake hard once or twice.

This whole activating the ABS unit in my opinion is nothing more then once again, INTERNET forum talk. Just like motor oils, its all BS.

Bottom line, bike manual calls for brake fluid change every two years, nothing more then that, no special wording that the "dealer" must do it, ya da ya da but you have people in the forums saying this ABS crap and people going "oh my, I never thought of that"

BS. if and ONLY if some fluid in the ABS unit some how doesnt get flushed out, big deal, brake fluid absorbs moisture so any little tiny bit of moisture that MIGHT be in any little tiny bit of old brake fluid will be dried out/absorbed by the new fluid.
Brake fluid doesnt EVER break down like oil does, it gets changed because it absorbs moisture.

Anyway, that is my feelings on the matter *L* ... and I will simply flush every two years.

The following users liked this post:
robbie52 (08-18-2017)
Old 08-11-2017, 11:05 AM
ChunkChunkChicken
Novice
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well said Sir. After a few forced ABS activations after changing the brake fluid I am putting this issue to bed. Good night and thank you.

Old 08-11-2017, 12:06 PM
chopper_man
Stellar HDF Member

Received 1,603 Likes on 953 Posts

Originally Posted by Rdcris
Why can't a power bleeder be used? Attach power bleeder nipple on caliper valve, open it 1/2 turn apply air to power bleeder, make sure to keep master cylinder full.
I too would like to know why a simple power bleeder can't be used? Been doing it that way on cars for years!

Old 08-11-2017, 10:53 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 929 Likes on 571 Posts

I go several weeks then flush again. Each time the engine is started it does one cycle of the ABS system so I suspect that is sufficient. It has worked. (so far)

Motorcycle ABS systems face different conditions than automotive systems. First they operate in a hotter environment and have a tiny volume of fluid in comparison.

And yes proper flushing of H-D's system is a H-D must. Just bleeding the brakes with a vacuum pump does not access any of the fluid in the ABS module. The digital tech rapid fires it until fully flushed.

It is simply a smart thing to do.

Last edited by lh4x4; 08-11-2017 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-12-2017, 04:54 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Who replaces the brake fluid on a two year old bike?

Last edited by Plow64; 08-16-2017 at 03:17 AM. Reason: correction
Old 08-12-2017, 07:15 AM
Just Me
Road Warrior
Received 88 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by jpooch00
Doing it yourself is the ONLY way to be sure it was done right - or done at all, for that matter.

No confidence at all in dealership "techs", especially where the MOCO's concerned!

I believe that there's a hand-held gadget available online that's the same as the one the dealerships use.
The proper device is over $600 to start with. I know this because a friend of mine is has bought all the things necessary to do a proper flush and plans on charging $100 to do it. There are enough of us to easily pay for it the first time around.

Quick Reply: How many cycles to flush ABS HCU?