Sponsored by:

Ultra Limited Low Differences

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2017, 10:23 PM
BPRMRRHD
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ultra Limited Low Differences

2016 Ultra Limited Low - what are the real differences? I can't find many answers that don't contradict the other. The ride is/is not more rough than the Ultra Limited. A 6'1" man should/should not be riding a limited low. No heated grips, rough suspension, can't find aftermarket heated grips, no air adjustment on the rear suspension...

So what is is REALLY?

Old 08-08-2017, 10:28 PM
MasterMac
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I know at least on the 2015 it was lower, had a lower seat, pull back bars but w/o the heated hand grips, no air adjustable shocks, and the passenger pegs instead of floorboards. Don't know of any other differences.

Old 08-08-2017, 11:03 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,628 Likes on 1,176 Posts

Originally Posted by BPRMRRHD
2016 Ultra Limited Low - what are the real differences? I can't find many answers that don't contradict the other. The ride is/is not more rough than the Ultra Limited. A 6'1" man should/should not be riding a limited low. No heated grips, rough suspension, can't find aftermarket heated grips, no air adjustment on the rear suspension...

So what is is REALLY?
The seat is both lower and narrower. The rear shocks are 12" "premium hand adjustable", instead of the normal air shocks. Different bars, slightly lower windshield, 1" less travel/lowered forks (very stiff), (at least in '15) different kickstand, and yes you can put on heated grips, even the stock heated grips from the Limited, the bars are the same diameter. If you want reduced diameter heated grips, they have those too but not internally wired like the stockers.

My advice....

I like my '15 Limited Low, but if I had it to do over I'd get the standard limited, change the seat & rear shocks, leave the front end alone. The ride height would be about the same as the low. You can also slide the fork tubes up in the trees a bit.

Good luck in your quest.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click HERE For all Twin Cams and Evo Big Twins & Sportsters

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 08-09-2017, 04:57 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
My advice....

I like my '15 Limited Low, but if I had it to do over I'd get the standard limited, change the seat & rear shocks, leave the front end alone. The ride height would be about the same as the low. You can also slide the fork tubes up in the trees a bit.

Good luck in your quest.
Good stuff Rocker. Makes me glad I went with the FLHTK.

Old 08-09-2017, 08:27 AM
sail375
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '15 Ultra Classic Low, my very first Harley in 50 years of riding not less than 10K miles a year, including several "longer" rides. Didn't want fancy, just a touring bike that was comfortable after wearing out a couple before this one. Once into the bike's post honeymoon "real" life, we have not really gotten along too well. It now has 7200 miles on it over two years. I opted for the air cooled engine. Put a true dual exhaust with the FP3 to reprogram, replaced the seat, and ended up putting 13" air shocks on the rear. Left the factory forks on it. Now, it seems to be more of a "bike". The 12" rear suspension just does not work out well at all. I am 5'8" and 170#. Wifey is 5'4" and about 120. The alleged "premium" hand adjustable shocks were not adjustable at all. Never have been. 12" air shocks didn't last long, either. Just not enough travel in the shocks to be of any use, especially at two up. All that is left is the proverbial tire howl in turns. So, new tires in the near future...with wheel bearings (apparently a necessary preventive maintenance issue), of course.

Old 08-09-2017, 10:02 AM
Suidae
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

17 Limited Low here. The only thing close to a complaint is that the stock, non heated grips are too small for my hands. I am 5'6 and 170, wife is 5'11 and 180. About 70% of my riding is two-up, and we appreciate the stiffer suspension. Yes, it is rougher on small bumps, but does a great job on the larger ones. Plus the stickier handling makes it all come together. We will be heading off on vacation next month, things may change fully loaded, but I don't think it will be much.
*Grips are smaller, seat lower, extension on kickstand, dial adjustable shock. I'm not six foot tall, but don't think that would be an issue. As always, fit the bike to you, not you to the bike.

Last edited by Suidae; 08-09-2017 at 10:06 AM. Reason: Additions
Old 08-09-2017, 10:29 AM
Rob175
Road Warrior
Received 639 Likes on 390 Posts

I own a 15' Ultra Limited LOW with 9,800 miles. I'm 5'8" and weigh 180 lbs., my wife is 5' and 105 lbs. Our 2 up riding is about 40% of the time. I changed out the grips and added OEM heated grips, and I changed out the low seat for a standard seat. The low seat pushed me too far forward for my likes and it was actually too low for what I like. The pull back bars are perfect for me. The only other item I changed were the passenger pegs. I added passenger floorboards so she could move her feet around a bit. I do like the lower center of gravity the low has.....in general I'm very happy with the low, it fits me well.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:27 AM
load97
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 112 Likes on 99 Posts

The primary cover is also a narrow profile as well. But all Touring got that in 2016 as standard (maybe late 2015 even, I forget.

I lowered my 14 SGS front end with HD's premium lowering kit. That definitely helped. I now own a 17' CVO Street Glide and was riding around with the stock front end for about 2 weeks. The bike definitely felt higher up. It made it tough to back the bike up with a slight incline. I just had my bike at the dealership 2 weekends ago and had them do the Legends Axeo front end with 1" drop. Man did that make the difference again. But the ride is a bit more still now (more of a sporty feel), but that's the way it goes.

Old 08-09-2017, 11:42 AM
W€€DWacker
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

[QUOTE=ROCKOUT Rocker Products;16512050]

My advice....

Good luck in your quest.

Great advice. I'm 5'6" with a 30" inseam. I've lowered the rear of my 14 Limited an inch and plan on a seat mid in the future. But as is I'm handling/riding just fine on it.
Can you elaborate on sliding the fork tubes up. I'm interested in doing this.

Last edited by W€€DWacker; 08-09-2017 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-09-2017, 11:43 AM
VinceTheArchitect
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts

Most of my limited height (I'm 5'-5") is in my arms & legs. I have 10,000 miles of seat time on my '15 Ultra Classic Low (air cooled). The low with a standard seat is my "goldilocks" bike. The seat puts me on the bike correctly, the suspension puts the bike on the ground correctly. I did add heated grips. That was going to happen anyways, since their not standard on the air-cooled ultras.

Every so often I regret getting a low, usually when I lean too far hitting the curb feelers on the floor boards. But then I have to come to a stop on uneven ground... the low allows me to flat foot it comfortably while the standard would have been a challenge to keep upright.

Since I purchased it used (only 1,300 miles!), I saved a ton over new. Especially since the low models are less desirable than standards, being air-cooled even less. I basically stole it.

So to summarize.... I ****ING LOVE MY LI'L GEEZER GLIDE!

Go ride one.... It'll tell you if it's the right bike.

Lastly... There are two changes between standard and low models not already mentioned. In 2015 the low has the "reduced width primary" in 2016 it became standard on all the touring bikes. Second is the inclusion of the "Assist & Slip Hydraulic Clutch"; it grabs the gears when I want 'em just fine.

Quick Reply: Ultra Limited Low Differences