Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD route planner

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2017, 11:57 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

RSKing45 - glad you found the issue. Just one question. When you started your trip on the bike, did you go to the NAV and say Where To - Saved or Where To... More - then Trip?

If you go to Saved, the system will change your travel. If you go to Where To.. More then Trip and select your trip, the system will take you the way you plotted it.

Old 08-14-2017, 12:10 PM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Rick58 - thanks. I just could no longer find it. Very helpful.

Waypoints in Honda - seems like they use different terminology. In Honda, every waypoint is a stop. You have a start and finish point. Harley uses locations and waypoints. Exactly why I said I use them both because they separately have some great features. In Honda, once the trip is set, go back and name the stop via point

Do you remember how to name waypoints in Harley - or, can that be done? Also, can you import into Harley Ride Planner?

Again, I would recommend you plot a trip in Ride Planner and then import that into Honda. I think you will find some interesting benefits for both.
To name a waypoint in HD you would need to first change it to a location. This is done by right clicking on it. Then on the left side of the screen where your locations are listed Same as Honda) click on Rename it.
I don't see a straight forward way to import a route in HD.

Old 08-14-2017, 01:18 PM
CVO SG
Road Warrior
Received 252 Likes on 205 Posts

You would think that if you planned out a route using Ride Planner, the Boom would follow that route exactly since that is how you planned it, regardless of the Boom settings. Now if you just gave it a start, stops, and a finish point, then yes the Boom will utilize the settings.

Disregard. I see cycle774 explained the difference between Saved and Trip route choices.

Last edited by CVO SG; 08-14-2017 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-14-2017, 03:18 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by CVO SG
You would think that if you planned out a route using Ride Planner, the Boom would follow that route exactly since that is how you planned it, regardless of the Boom settings. Now if you just gave it a start, stops, and a finish point, then yes the Boom will utilize the settings.
You might want to think that, but you shouldn't.

When you import a route into a GPS unit, all you are doing is sending latitude and longitude points (Start, End, and any way points in between), into the unit.
From there, every GPS Nav unit (No matter the brand), uses its own built in algorithms to calculate the route between those points.
There are many variables in the settings for different brand of GPS units.

Remember, HD Ride planner can be used with any GPS Unit, not just the Boom system.

The HD Boom system seems to have more options when it comes to avoidances, or route preferences than a lot of other GPS
Most have the basic faster, shorter, scenic, etc.
But they all want to handle those options somewhat different sometimes.

If your "planned" route between two places only has one road to get there, than all of the GPS units will calculate it the same way.
But if there are multiple roads you can take to get to your end destination, you can put a few extra waypoints along the way to make sure your NAV unit follows that path.
But you also have to make sure the GPS internal settings are set, so they don't force you away from you intended route.

Perfect example is rsking45 (original OP) in this thread.
He had the route built the way he wanted, using the toll road (probably because he wanted to get there quickly).
However, his Nav Unit had the setting selected to avoid toll roads.
So, it wasn't working for him the way he expected.

In his example, the Nav unit wanted him to get off and on the turnpike several times.
It did this, because he had "waypoints" placed along the way on the turnpike trying to force the unit to follow the turnpike.
As you can expect, that was a losing battle.

The NAV unit setting will always take precedence, and allow its internal algorithms to calculate the route.

The following users liked this post:
CVO SG (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 04:20 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Lots of great comments in this thread.

I will say this again. I believe a lot of folks are using the saved route function instead of the "Trip" function. Using trip will better follow the route you plotted.

CVO SG (08-14-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 04:37 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 109 Posts

Great thread.

Question: Assuming one has selected the appropriate 'avoidances' in the BoomBox Nav unit, which of the three settings will most closely adhere to your pre-planned route? Scenic, Shortest, or Quickest?

Old 08-15-2017, 05:07 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Plow64 - I usually put mine on Scenic - and use "avoid highways" when taking most of my rides.

When trying to get there fast, I go fastest and the only avoidance I use is no unpaved roads.

Again, as I said earlier - when taking the ride, use the "Trip" function and the system will follow the route you plotted.

Plow64 (08-16-2017)
Old 08-15-2017, 06:15 AM
detroitsongbird
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looking at the XML (export data) produced by both the Honda one it looks like it will work better without having to do the monkeying around the HD one requires.

For the HD map it turns each set of two locations into a separate route. I know I can manually change each location to a waypoint (right click on the location icon on the map) before exporting. But then I lose the name/address of the waypoint, which makes it a pain to pickup where you left off after stopping for lunch, for example (are we starting at way point 3 or 5????).

The HD export also has <wpt entries - which is probably why our saved locations list gets polluted.

The Honda export has one route with with each waypoint retaining its name/address.

That's from looking at the XML - I've not imported it yet - I will tonight, but I suspect it'll work just fine, and end up being the better planner.

Old 08-15-2017, 08:17 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Detroitsongbird - you are saying exactly what I have been talking about.

Rick58 said I could change the Harley waypoint to location and rename it - but, by doing so, it is not location and separate route. Changing it back to waypoint loses the name.

Both planners have some advantages - but like you said, there is less to monkey with on the Honda.

I just want to take advantage of the best planner that works.

Old 08-16-2017, 12:20 PM
detroitsongbird
Novice
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

cycle7447 I suspect editing the HD exported xml would work -

look for <name>Via Point 1</name> and change the name.

That said, the honda planner seems simpler and appears that it will "just work"

Quick Reply: HD route planner