Sponsored by:

HD route planner

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2017, 08:47 PM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts
Default HD route planner

I haven't had a lot of problems using HD route planner, downloading my route to the info center on my bike until now.
I make my route on HD route planner, download it as always but here is where the problem starts. After I download my route, I bring up my route on the nav to check to see if its going to take me the way I want to go. It doesn't. There are roads that its taking me on that shouldn't be there. Im taking a turnpike from start to end and it has me getting off and on the same turnpike several times. Iv added way points and still the same.

Any suggestions?

Old 08-13-2017, 08:56 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

Unless you have a sufficient number of waypoints, the NAV system will try to re-route you.

I use route planner - but have now found that Honda ride planner works better for me. Plus, with Honda, you can tell the map to not use highways - for more scenic routes.

Finally, because Honda list the directions alphabetically, there is less chance that your route double backs.

Try it.

https://tripplanner.honda.com/#/

Old 08-14-2017, 04:15 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
I use route planner - but have now found that Honda ride planner works better for me. Plus, with Honda, you can tell the map to not use highways - for more scenic routes.

Finally, because Honda list the directions alphabetically, there is less chance that your route double backs. ]
Does a Honda Ride Planner (HRP) route take you on the exact same route that you planned with the HRP software, or does the BoomBox navigation change the HRP route to whatever roads it deems appropriate?

I'm guessing that would depend on the number of stops you use to build a route, but would like to know what your experience has been with building a precise route in HRP and how well the BoomBox nav sticks to the route that you built without changing it?

Old 08-14-2017, 05:15 AM
Slingshot383
Road Master
Received 401 Likes on 285 Posts

Check your Nav setting in yoiur BoomBox, is it set for scenic, shortest, or quickest route? That will make a difference.

Old 08-14-2017, 07:54 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

[QUOTE=cycle7447;16526788]

Plus, with Honda, you can tell the map to not use highways - for more scenic routes.

You can tell HD Ride Planner to not use highways also.

Old 08-14-2017, 08:36 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Plow64 - yes, the Boom Box does follow the route planned on Honda Route Planner. If you build the route on Honda and save that route (actually a trip) to the Boom Box, it will follow it exactly as planned. Just took another trip yesterday and it was spot on.

I do believe that some folks build routes and import them to the Boom system. Then when they go to travel, they chose the saved route instead of the "trip route". That makes a difference.

Rick58 - I have looked but have not been able to find out how to tell the Harley to not use highways. Can you please share that location with me. On Honda, you simply click - avoid highways. I especially like the fact that I can name on waypoints on Honda - something I can easily recognize when riding.

Try this. Build a route in ride planner with some locations, Now add some waypoints to try and make the road more scenic or to follow your route.

Next, save that route and import that into Honda ride planner. I think you will see a much cleaner route and all of your via points (waypoints) will show up.

Now, build that same route in Honda - and tell the computer to avoid highways - just compare the two.

Both Harley and Honda has their advantages. I use them both and take the best from both to make my rides.

Last edited by cycle7447; 08-14-2017 at 08:45 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Plow64 (08-15-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 09:42 AM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by Slingshot383
Check your Nav setting in yoiur BoomBox, is it set for scenic, shortest, or quickest route? That will make a difference.
This right here would be the number one reason for you Nav unit doing what the OP describes.

He built the route on Ride Planner, and elected to take the fastest route to get there (turnpike).

However, depending on how he has "avoidances" set up on the NAV unit, it may or may not want to follow that route.

If you have the Nav unit set for scenic, it will not want to guide you down the turnpike. It will continuously want you to get off the turnpike and take the scenic route.
It will guide you back onto the turnpike as needed though in order to pick up any waypoints you might have placed.

Make sure your Nav unit settings are correct for the type of route you want to take.

Note: This isn't a Ride Planner issue per say, as the same thing would have happened with any route mapping software under the above circumstances.

Old 08-14-2017, 10:14 AM
Rick58
Road Warrior
Received 325 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by cycle7447
Plow64 -

Rick58 - I have looked but have not been able to find out how to tell the Harley to not use highways. Can you please share that location with me. On Honda, you simply click - avoid highways.
Click on "Show Directions" and check the box "Avoid highways for this segment".

I don't see waypoints in Honda, just stops

Last edited by Rick58; 08-14-2017 at 10:19 AM.
The following users liked this post:
cycle7447 (08-14-2017)
Old 08-14-2017, 11:40 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member

Rick58 - thanks. I just could no longer find it. Very helpful.

Waypoints in Honda - seems like they use different terminology. In Honda, every waypoint is a stop. You have a start and finish point. Harley uses locations and waypoints. Exactly why I said I use them both because they separately have some great features. In Honda, once the trip is set, go back and name the stop via point

Do you remember how to name waypoints in Harley - or, can that be done? Also, can you import into Harley Ride Planner?

Again, I would recommend you plot a trip in Ride Planner and then import that into Honda. I think you will find some interesting benefits for both.

Last edited by cycle7447; 08-14-2017 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2017, 11:48 AM
rsking45
Road Warrior
Received 91 Likes on 74 Posts

Thanks all,
The problem was me. I had toll roads checked in avoidance's thats why it was routing me around the turnpike which is a toll road.

Quick Reply: HD route planner