Sponsored by:

riding with coolant pump gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2017, 01:09 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by hardheaded
we were out sunday and a buddy lost his coolant pump. i said ride the thing home, but he didn't like that idea. my question is how many people have ridden their bikes with the pump not working ? and how far ? his bike is a 15 ultra.
Boy, it seems like these water-cooled pumps on the 2015's are the year that has the most failures from what I have read here.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:29 PM
Mikes2011fxdb
Advanced
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Only once

Had to ride from Seattle to Northern California when mine went out. The weather was cool. No one had one before that stopped at 8 different dealers. Then I got one off a 2016 on the floor. The shop said they would find one before I left so it came off a new model. The rest of the ride back to Florida was much better.

Old 08-16-2017, 05:37 PM
dukdog
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

The water pump on my 15 limited went **** up in Cheyenne, Wy on our way to Sturgis. The closest part was in Gillette. I think it was about 285 miles away. Pulled her into Deluxe HD and had it replaced. Harley's have been air cooled since inception. I never worried a bit, I just didn't like looking at the idiot lights showing

Old 08-16-2017, 06:19 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

They're ALL going to fail at one time or another. The pump runs anytime the bike is on so failure of any electric motor fluid pump is inevitable. Some fail sooner than others because it's man made.
Consider that these pumps are failing at all different mileage (mine was 33000 miles and that's a hell of a lot of wear and tear on that pump). It pumps hot, close to boiling point, coolant nonstop in a small enclosed system. Failure will happen.
The most important thing to keep in mind is it's cooling the heads when the pump is working but when it's not the cooling effect of the system is completely gone. That once close to boiling point fluid is just sitting on the heads getting hotter and hotter by the minute thus adding another dynamic of heat to the top of the engine that is NOT NEEDED.
Running the bike with air flow cooling the bike is better than it sitting running.
Point is I wouldn't worry about a failure on the road. Ride the bike and get where your safe remembering to keep the bike moving so air can help the engine stay cool. Keep the speeds down and throttle light and you will be fine.
Then worry about getting it fixed.
If it was an internal water pump (driven off of the engine like several manufacturers do) failure rates would be extremely rare to a.most none)

Old 08-16-2017, 06:49 PM
RollaMo
Grand HDF Member
Received 452 Likes on 283 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
Boy, it seems like these water-cooled pumps on the 2015's are the year that has the most failures from what I have read here.
And yet for every failure you read about, there are thousands of them that didn't fail.

The following 3 users liked this post by RollaMo:
bmaier (09-15-2022), cruise_carter (09-26-2022), Dan89FLSTC (09-23-2022)
Old 08-16-2017, 07:14 PM
tesnevo
Club Member
Received 93 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by RollaMo
And yet for every failure you read about, there are thousands of them that didn't fail.
Exactly!

The following 2 users liked this post by tesnevo:
bmaier (09-15-2022), oxford joc (01-20-2021)
Old 08-20-2017, 08:42 PM
ElNicaHarlista
Stage III
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GOV5
I have a 2015 Ultra Limited and my got replaced a week ago with only 9K,warranty expired last january ,called HD and they did a GOOD WILL on my water pump.

Old 08-22-2017, 03:40 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Haven't failed.......Yet

Old 08-22-2017, 03:46 PM
Candubrain
Road Captain
Received 148 Likes on 78 Posts

Mine went on a road trip (2014 FLHTK) when the odometer read 45,000 KMs (28,000 Miles). I rode it 225Kms (140 Miles) to get to a dealer.

That was 8,000 Kms ago and it's still running fine. I have not noticed any loss of performance nor seen any change in fuel consumption, or a noisier valves.

The circuit board that fails is ridiculously complicated for a 12VDC pump that runs continuously. A simple DC motor with brushes would have been more reliable.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:17 AM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,450 Likes on 932 Posts

m a
That's probably true, but what Candubrain said may also be true: "Haven't failed...yet! "

I say it's all because Willie G. doesn't want to see a Harley with a radiator hung on the front of the engine. ( although he did succumb to one being on a V-Rod)
For the folks that have had one fail, and they number many, I don't think they are particularly impressed with the statistics that you mention(thousands that haven't failed). All they realize is that their trip has been upset because of a crappy design of something that could have been thought out better...like having a radiator there, for instance.

I know what your intent was by posting to me, and I sorta agree with you as to folks talking all the time about problems, and not taking into account that some of the issues mentioned are few and far between. There does seem to be a lot of talk about misfortune here at this forum....more than any other forum at which I have been.

Quick Reply: riding with coolant pump gone