Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 07:36 PM
Bam15012
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by TriDan
No. That 7-pin plug is just hanging around in the front under the cowling. There is nothing plugged into it.

You can still use your wired headset.

At least I can sitting in the front seat. Seems the pax plug no longer works. I have to get them to look at that because there is absolutely zero reason that should not work any more.
Thank you.

Old 10-20-2017, 03:35 AM
satcom40
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had HD install wireless on my 16 Fltru. using the sh10 sena head set, and it working.
But I would like to use the wired system has a back up. I can hear everything ok but went I call someone the can barely hear me.
Any help with this would be great.
Thanks

Old 10-20-2017, 06:00 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,698 Likes on 1,030 Posts

satcome40 - welcome to the site. Sorry, I can't really help but, I would like to ask a few questions since I am planning to get mine installed over the winter.

You said, all is working, but you can not hear well when making a call. Is that call being done with the wired set or the sh10?.

If the wired set, can you be heard with the Bluetooth set? Are the other functions working with the wired set - like rider to passenger and voice commands with the wired set?

Finally - did you do the install or your dealer?

Last edited by cycle7447; 10-20-2017 at 06:01 AM.
Old 10-20-2017, 08:11 AM
Jskinner6483
6th Gear

I put the interface modular in my 2014 Limited and also got the Sena HD 20s EVO head set. The head set works fine paired to my phone only. When going through the bike the speakers get a static/cracking sound when turned up during highway speeds. I have been back to my local HD dealer, they have messed with the setting that was added to my system when they flashed it due to the modular but still not great, especially for paying around $600 for the system. I feel its a software with the modular. I know this is a work in progress. Hopefully HD will come up with a fix soon.
any comments or suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Old 10-20-2017, 08:54 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Jskinner6483
I put the interface modular in my 2014 Limited and also got the Sena HD 20s EVO head set. The head set works fine paired to my phone only. When going through the bike the speakers get a static/cracking sound when turned up during highway speeds.
I have essentially the same setup as you on my 2017 TriGlide. It took me about a week of tweaking to get it right. Little things I did:
As I assembled the headsets, I put a dab of dielectric grease on all the electric connections. I did the same while installing the WHIM. Think of it as electrical "LocTite". I don't know if it made a difference since I've never tested without it but I started using it with the Cardos when my wife complained of static. We had been rained on my times so I took them apart and put the dielectric on all the fittings and it cleared them up.

I use a half helmet and my wife wears a full HJC helmet. At first, the wind was tripping the VOX and causing the music to cut in and out. I put as over-sized sponge on the mic BUT I also made a little shield that is attached to the wind side of the mic. I used a piece of velcro that had adhesive on one side and stuck it to the mic. Game changer. I can talk to the wife at 80!

Because I have a half-helmet, I have some ear-muffs that I had from the Cardos. The speakers need to be right over your ears and essentially pressing against them. The mic should be at your lips.

I had to put a spacer inside my wife's full helmet to get the mic to her lips.

We ride all day listening to stereo music, taking phone calls and sending commands to the bike. It is different than the Cardo Scala G9x pair. We were only helmet to helmet and the experience was much more inviting. Then we could talk like we were sitting in a room. There was no VOX cut-out. Much more like talking on a phone. The WHIM vox is closer to CB, ten-four.

I do wished they would have opened another BT channel so we could talk full duplex. That would have been a much better design.

Later, I will record my settings and post them here. That will give you a good starting point.
Left-Oversized mic sponge with shield<br/>Right-ear muffs and speaker with spacer<br/>

Last edited by SpringerRider; 10-20-2017 at 09:03 AM. Reason: Clarity and added image
Old 10-20-2017, 10:54 AM
so60
Club Member
Received 75 Likes on 52 Posts
Default Good starting settings.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harleyrlb
If you are using the headset with the WHIM you have the ability to make the same adjustments as you would with the Sena app. You also have the same ability with the Device Manager software on your computer. I found that there is a setting when using the WHIM that allows the bikes volume control to control the HD20s Evo. I found that it was not great because I could not get a volume level appropriate for prompts, phone and navigation. So I turn it off. You want to make sure the sidetone is off, multitasking off, 8 way intercom off unless you have more than 3 other riders you are connecting to and FM guide off (assuming you are connected to the infotainment system) and any other function you are not using. Best to read through the manual so that you know what each setting does on the headset. Anyone else have any suggestions please chime in.

From dixonk.......Also make sure to turn VOX Phone off.

The above was posted by HarleyRib and dixonk earlier. It is good settings to start with. Also, my setup works better with the phone connected to the Boom Box, not to the sena. Lot of good reading in here if you take some time and go back and read it.

Last edited by so60; 10-20-2017 at 01:19 PM.
Old 10-20-2017, 01:45 PM
Dr1vr
Stage II

So I've got it installed. Two pieces are required for Rushmores - about $375 for both. There are two downloads required and the dealers must do one of them as it requires refreshing the Boom Audio. Also, it will only be in stereo on the HD or Sena headsets. I use UClear and it works but not in stereo...honestly for the $$$'s its a pretty marginal work around for something that should be standard.

Old 10-20-2017, 05:44 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr1vr
So I've got it installed. Two pieces are required for Rushmores - about $375 for both. There are two downloads required and the dealers must do one of them as it requires refreshing the Boom Audio. Also, it will only be in stereo on the HD or Sena headsets. I use UClear and it works but not in stereo...honestly for the $$$'s its a pretty marginal work around for something that should be standard.
Welcome to HDForums!

Just to make sure you understand, the WHIM only connects in stereo with the Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio headsets. If you use any other stereo bluetooth headset, including a SENA headset, the WHIM will kill the stereo connection, and default your music to base quality monaural.

The following users liked this post:
nobikertrash (10-22-2017)
Old 10-20-2017, 06:28 PM
vanbarrq@lordsseed.com
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Mono

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
Welcome to HDForums!

Just to make sure you understand, the WHIM only connects in stereo with the Harley-Davidson BOOM Audio headsets. If you use any other stereo bluetooth headset, including a SENA headset, the WHIM will kill the stereo connection, and default your music to base quality monaural.
Is the Whim worth it even if you have to listen to your music in mono?

Old 10-20-2017, 06:46 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by vanbarrq@lordsseed.com
Is the Whim worth it even if you have to listen to your music in mono?
The WHIM is $300, plus $50 for the harness if you don't have a 2018, plus at least an hour labor for the install and flash. So, you're looking at $450 minimum. Plus $300 for a BOOM Audio headset if you want stereo. $750. And, only the BOOM Audio 20S EVO also supports high-def audio.

Or, you can buy a SENA FreeWire for $250, and use the bluetooth headset you already have, and get stereo with any bluetooth headset that supports stereo, which is most of the current headset from SENA and the other major manufacturers.

Last edited by IdahoHacker; 10-20-2017 at 06:47 PM.

Quick Reply: Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson