Sponsored by:

Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2018, 10:42 AM
rsmith64
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smitty901
Installing and using the WHIM does not deactivate the wire system it still works as it always did . Something else is not right.
I'm jumping into this thread a little late but I was told that WHIM will not deactivate the wire system but you can either use the wireless bluetooth headset or the wired. Not a combination of both. A rider controls everything whether wired or wireless. Passenger has to be the same as the rider if they want to have functions other than just listening.

I just had WHIM installed on my 2017 Roadglide Ultra. The service guy told me there is a special cable for those not having a CB. We found this out the hard way after the WHIM was installed. If you don't have the right cable, it won't even display linking the headset. I also picked up two HD20s EVO headsets which is what I am debugging now for wind noise. I have the sensitivity levels all the way down but the level of wind noise is still an issue. I have the Lucid half helmet which is lite and comfortable but it may be part of the issue.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:57 PM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by biglew55
The wireless set-up goes through batteries after about 3 tanks, and once speed(ground+wind) gets over about 80, it opens vox and have to deal with that. While that's open you can't hear anything else.
Vox is vox. When it hears noise at a designated threshold, it opens the mic. Since I ride with a half-helmet, I had to get that figured quickly.
1. Over size sponge on the boom mic. I had one from my Cardo that was bigger.
2. I keep the mic right at my lips.
3. My wife wears has to new three-way helmet that can go from half to full face. I had to get creative there. Rather than mount the mic in the faceshield, like we used to, I went for the boom mic. Allows her to position it at her lips and to remove the face guard.
4. I used some beer can aluminum and created a small shield that covers the front of my mic. I have a picture of it in this thread somewhere. It works very good.

We can talk up to 70 without concern. 80 is pushing it.

A couple of times, I have had one of our headsets reconfigure itself, for no reason. I wrote it off to picking up "a stray signal". It immediately corrected itself and we laughed it off.

I've had the WHIM since August and the HD sph-20s as soon as they came out. Took a bit of tweaking but I am very happy with them now.

Old 03-20-2018, 07:28 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

I spend a lot of time around 80. A little bit of headwind really makes things worse at that speed.

I finally fixed that when I yesterday, where I unplugged the module and re-mounted my trusty old wired headset. Some folks have reported being able to use either, but I couldn't make the wired headset microphone work while the module was plugged in.

Old 03-20-2018, 08:39 AM
N218X
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you turn off VOX, turn off intercom and pair the headsets?

Old 03-20-2018, 08:44 AM
biglew55
Road Captain

Received 435 Likes on 233 Posts

Originally Posted by N218X
Can you turn off VOX, turn off intercom and pair the headsets?

I wish I could turn off the vox, but I've not found a way to with the wireless setup. I only use Push to Talk on the wired headset.

I think I will keep the BT headsets for when wife and I ride together. I usually ride slower then.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:38 AM
chiefmmck
Advanced
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My wife and I gave up on using intercom via the Boom intercom system; we could not find a vox setting that would work. We shut the Boom intercom off and are using the paired headset intercom system. We have no issues with vox interference and the overall intercom experience is much better. Simply tap the jog dial to initate the intercom. We use all other features of the headset via the Boom system with no issues.

Old 03-20-2018, 11:47 AM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,610 Likes on 5,176 Posts

Originally Posted by rsmith64
I'm jumping into this thread a little late but I was told that WHIM will not deactivate the wire system but you can either use the wireless bluetooth headset or the wired. Not a combination of both. A rider controls everything whether wired or wireless. Passenger has to be the same as the rider if they want to have functions other than just listening.

I just had WHIM installed on my 2017 Roadglide Ultra. The service guy told me there is a special cable for those not having a CB. We found this out the hard way after the WHIM was installed. If you don't have the right cable, it won't even display linking the headset. I also picked up two HD20s EVO headsets which is what I am debugging now for wind noise. I have the sensitivity levels all the way down but the level of wind noise is still an issue. I have the Lucid half helmet which is lite and comfortable but it may be part of the issue.
If you have the headset paired to the WHIM and then with out realizing it pair them to each other at the same time things go south. Found that out when wife started pushing buttons. Of course it can be done if you disable the WHIM com.

Last edited by smitty901; 03-20-2018 at 11:48 AM.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:42 PM
HeratageJim
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any recommendations as to who I can contact about the WHIM problem of dead wired microphone with 2017 Ultra Limited when the WHIM is connected? Is there a HD MoCo contact? The WHIM is manufactured by Sena, should I contact them? The radio is manufactured by Harmon Cardon, should I contact them? I just want to know if it is a firmware problem that they are working on, or if I have a defective part somewhere, possibly including the radio itself.

Old 03-20-2018, 12:58 PM
GOV5
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,451 Likes on 932 Posts

Originally Posted by HeratageJim
Any recommendations as to who I can contact about the WHIM problem of dead wired microphone with 2017 Ultra Limited when the WHIM is connected? Is there a HD MoCo contact? The WHIM is manufactured by Sena, should I contact them? The radio is manufactured by Harmon Cardon, should I contact them? I just want to know if it is a firmware problem that they are working on, or if I have a defective part somewhere, possibly including the radio itself.
Take it to your local dealer. They have to provide support to HD bikes and products, no mater where the HD product was purchased. Besides, the WHIM, being new, is still under warranty. The dealer can bill that to HD Corp under warranty work. You should not have to be doing all this research yourself. Plus, the stuff should have been tested and OK'ed for release to customers fro the very start. Using as a guinea pigs on a half-a$$ed coined together product is ridiculous.
Tell that dealer to get your bike, and its COMMs working as they should!

The following users liked this post:
HeratageJim (03-20-2018)
Old 03-22-2018, 12:52 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 9,610 Likes on 5,176 Posts

My WHIM failed today. It was installed right near the time they released it. Of course it is covered by warranty. They tested it today re-flashed it ect. dropping it off April 4th.
More to the story April 5th.

Quick Reply: Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson