Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 08:25 PM
jamesgoodchild
Intermediate
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Just to confirm, you aren’t in the Bluetooth part of the Boom menu and trying to pair from there, correct? The Bluetooth menu is for pairing phones etc, not the headsets. You need to make sure you are in the headset menu and pair from there.

Old 09-16-2018, 09:36 PM
16HDFLHXSECVO
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife bought me the new Harley WHIM system and SirusXM for my 19 Street Glide S with the 2 half helmet head sets for my birth day this month. We talked while riding on 500 mile trip for the first 80 it was junk both the Sirius XM radio module because 1 the reception was awful no matter where i put the antenna even on the out side of the fairing 2 bars max areas with heavy tree canopies forget it lost signal for miles.. Not worth 400. i stream Sirius XM through my Galaxy Note 9 $5 bucks a month with the $50 3.5 MM Aux input jack from Harley P#69200907 (sounds 10x better than Bluetooth streaming). Also purchased the new Harley cellphone holder and mount absolutely fantastic holder P#76000537 $30 and P#76000549 $40 added all my favorites channels with one touch of my finger i can select any 1 of my 30 favorite channels from 1 screen not limited to 6 presets. So with the returned Items I purchased the Rider and Passenger 7 pin din wires and 2 direct wire head sets. sounds so much better than Bluetooth and don't forget NO CHARGING REQUIRED. Big deal your tied to the bike, from the time your bluetooth connects i will be already good to go.

Old 09-17-2018, 12:05 AM
Terminator1
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesgoodchild
Just to confirm, you aren’t in the Bluetooth part of the Boom menu and trying to pair from there, correct? The Bluetooth menu is for pairing phones etc, not the headsets. You need to make sure you are in the headset menu and pair from there.
In setup, I am in the tab labeled “Wireless Headset”. After pressing Wireless Headset, I place the headset in pairing mode. The BOOM! AUDIO EXPAND HEADSET appears in the list of available items to pair. After I select it, the Fail message appears. Seriously pissing me off!

Old 09-17-2018, 08:31 PM
madmanjc
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone provide some additional detail on the fuse that is mentioned in this thread that needed to be replaced to solve the "mic" problem(s). Was this in the fairing? Or was it in the fuse box... I'm having a similar issue with my mics not working when the WHIM is plugged into the system--I can hear the radio just fine; just the mics do not work (wireless or wired).

If I unplug the harness from the radio (and CB), everything works great...

I've got an appt with the dealer later this week, but I'm a little concerned with their ability to track this down. Based on the trouble shooting I did today, I'm pretty sure it's the WHIM... But if a fuse replacement will resolve this issue, I'm all for a simple fix...

Thanks!!!

Last edited by madmanjc; 09-17-2018 at 08:36 PM.
Old 09-21-2018, 12:46 PM
SenaBluetooth
Former Sponsor
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Terminator1

In setup, I am in the tab labeled “Wireless Headset”. After pressing Wireless Headset, I place the headset in pairing mode. The BOOM! AUDIO EXPAND HEADSET appears in the list of available items to pair. After I select it, the Fail message appears. Seriously pissing me off!

Download and install the Boom! Audio Bluetooth Device Manager from here http://oem.sena.com/harley-davidson/ and check if the Expand that you have has the latest firmware. Otherwise, perform a Factory Reset and a Fault Reset on the headset and then pair it to the WHIM again by placing the headset into Mobile Phone Pairing Mode through the Configuration Menu.

Last edited by SenaBluetooth; 09-21-2018 at 12:58 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:17 AM
howard829
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default WHIM/Sena/Boom

Hi all, a newbie to the forums but am a longtime Harley Davidson owner. If this has been addressed before please accept my apologies. The forum threads can get a little hard to follow at times. I also posted this in the "Touring" section and didn't get many replies so hopefully I found the right place and people to read my concerns. I am presently having an issue with the WHIM/Bluetooth Headset and Boom GTS setup on a 2019 Street Glide Special. I have paid the "Harley Tax" (thanks to Law Abiding Biker for that quote) and bit the bullet and made this costly purchase. Anyway, the main issue I have is with communicating with the Harley Sena 20s EVO headset to the Boom Box GTS system at Highway Speeds. I can hear music, navigation commands and phone conversations to the headset just fine. The issue is at Highway speeds using the handlebar button the Sena has extreme difficulty accepting any commands, ex. Tune To (channel on radio) or Show Map etc. At slow speeds lower than 30mph or at a stop there is no issue at all. All commands accepted just fine. I have contacted both Sena and Harley about this issue. I presently have an open ticket with the Motor Company and my local Dealership. Some very basic trouble shooting has taken place by both companies. To be honest my Dealership hasn't had much if any experience in this area. If something is broke they can replace or repair it. I have gone into the wireless configuration on the bike and also the Sena with still no good results. I have cupped my hand around the mic to try and cut down the wind noise without success. My phone calls using the headset are perfect at Highway Speeds. The person I'm talking with could hardly tell I am on a bike at highway speeds. My iPhone is paired to the Boom Box, not the Sena. I have positioned the boom mic correctly according to Sena with the little plastic tab pointing outward. Recently I doubled up on the foam surrounding the microphone and will check that out today. I am using a 3/4 open face helmet. I have used this helmet with the "wired" version of Harley's headset in the past with no issues. This problem could be as simple as turning something on or disabling something in the configuration.

I would appreciate any first hand knowledge or experience with this annoying issue.

Thanks...

Old 10-04-2018, 06:52 AM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

After reading through this thread, again, I am convinced not spending the $1000 or so on the WHIM and the headsets was the correct approach. I tried the SENA 10S for stand-alone use and have already sent it back. I had thought about going with the WHIM approach to go wireless with my built-in communications system, but not feeling the love for that expenditure. The cabled system works great for intercom and phone with very good overall voice quality and we are not experiencing any of the VOX issues.

The following 2 users liked this post by hillcountryflt:
cycle7447 (10-04-2018), steve1959 (10-10-2018)
Old 10-04-2018, 07:02 AM
howard829
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
After reading through this thread, again, I am convinced not spending the $1000 or so on the WHIM and the headsets was the correct approach. I tried the SENA 10S for stand-alone use and have already sent it back. I had thought about going with the WHIM approach to go wireless with my built-in communications system, but not feeling the love for that expenditure. The cabled system works great for intercom and phone with very good overall voice quality and we are not experiencing any of the VOX issues.
I have to say that the issue I'm having is almost minor looking at the whole picture. Although it would be great if everything worked as it should but with my particular situation I am very happy to have "cut the cord" and gone wireless. The bluetooth and phone conversations are great, the navigation prompts are great, and listening to music either via Boom or USB drive are also very good. Having the ability to use the handlebar button for certain commands would be icing on the cake but not a deal breaker as far as I'm concerned. Possibly a setting has to be tweaked a bit to get it to work the way it should but there are certainly workarounds for that function.

Thanks...

Old 10-04-2018, 11:41 AM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by 16HDFLHXSECVO
So with the returned Items I purchased the Rider and Passenger 7 pin din wires and 2 direct wire head sets. sounds so much better than Bluetooth and don't forget NO CHARGING REQUIRED. Big deal your tied to the bike, from the time your bluetooth connects i will be already good to go.

Wait.....PASSENGER 7 pin???? Is there such a thing? What are the part numbers for the 7 pin connector you purchased?

Old 06-10-2019, 02:27 AM
londo-cat
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronald Egalka
Like others, I’ve also been dealing with the problem with using the HD WHIM wireless module. In particular, that problem relates to WHIM modules on two Harleys and:1) two Sena-branded Cavalry helmets (my girlfriend and I on separate Harleys), 2) two Sena-built comm modules (Schuberth SC1A) for two Schuberth C4 helmets, Let’s be clear that in the worlds of Harley and Sena there are two types of “intercoms” used and they can confuse the issue. The first is what has been available on Harleys for decades and is defined as to when a rider and passenger want to communicate with each other electronically. In the past, the wired headsets provided this capability and, currently, even with WHIM, this continues to work with both wired and wireless Bluetooth headsets. The second is what Sena refers to as Intercom, which in their lingo refers to Bluetooth helmet-to-helmet wireless communication, whether rider to passenger or rider to rider (on one or more separate motorcycles.) Since mid-June, I’ve been in contact with Sena on a number of occasions. I began with a two-hour session with a very knowledgeable Sena “Outside Channel Development” officer, who, during the 2018 Laconia Motorcycle Week, spent two hours trying to get the above hardware to work. After checking the firmware revisions of the two Cavalry helmets and the WHIM, he was unable to get helmet-to-helmet (rider-to-rider on two bikes) to work once the WHIM became active. This was the first time he or the factory had heard of the inability of the Sena-branded hardware to have “intercom” connectivity between two or more bikes while the WHIM was active. After numerous attempts, phone calls, experiments, Sena’s conclusion was that the firmware on the HD-branded Sena hardware was specially designed to 1) have AD2P protocol offering excellent audio and 2) provide for two Bluetooth channels - one to WHIM, one to other Bluetooth helmets. According to Sena, HD will not allow Sena to employ that software/firmware to be utilized on Sena-branded gear.

I, like some other Harley wireless Bluetooth users, originally started with the Sena Freewire interface module. It interfaced perfectly with the Harley Infotainment System and all Sena-branded gear and also allowed for rider to rider Bluetooth (intercom) communications. (I don’t know and am not familiar with other brands of Bluetooth gear). The only “problem” with the Freewire, at least to me, was the mounting location of the device (handlebar or externally mounted port) and the two connecting cables (power and interface cable that plugged into the 7-wire DIN socket that has been used for wired headsets.) I was also concerned that the Freewire module could be easily disconnected – potentially a $250 risk. Because both the Freewire and WHIM modules are built by Sena, I believed and I have seen no information to the contrary, that the WHIM, like the Freewire, would work properly as an internal integrated module.

I had heard early on that the WHIM, when connected with non-HD-branded gear, would not provide stereo (not a major problem for me) and would be of poorer audio quality (probably not a big problem). What I and I believe many people did not know is that unlike the Freewire, once the WHIM powered up, any helmet-to-helmet Bluetooth communications between two or more bikes would be impossible unless the wireless Bluetooth gear was branded HD. I had hoped that Sena could find a solution to the problem before I began on my 26-day, 7,078-mile ride from New Hampshire to Sturgis and back. They did not. But, I can report on what worked and what didn’t. 1) Both the Sena-branded Cavalry and the Schuberth C4 with the Sena-manufactured SC1A Bluetooth module work fine with the WHIM/Infotainment System (NAV, Phone, Satellite radio, media). The audio quality suffers when not using Harley-branded devices, as we now know, but is acceptable. Rider-to-rider communications do not work while the WHIM is active.2) If you unpair (forget) the helmets from the WHIM (and use the bike’s speakers for the Infotainment System), rider-to-passenger and rider-to-rider communications work fine.3) I had the opportunity to purchase the just released HD-branded version of the Sena Cavalry helmet (Boom1 Audio HD-N01) at Black Hills HD during Bike Week. It works perfectly – Infotainment System and helmet-to-helmet (rider and passenger and rider to other riders, up to a total of 4 – as long as they don’t have WHIM paired with non-HD gear).It seems to me that this problem represents a disservice to both Sena and Harley-Davidson customers. Neither company nor its agents warned me of this “problem” as I purchased over $5,000 worth of wireless Bluetooth gear for myself and my girlfriend. The Harley dealers’ staff and Sena sales associates seem to be totally unaware of this problem. Not sure what the next step is…Sorry for the long post.

Ron
Wow! First off - thank you Ron for that post - this is why I read this forum is because of information like this. When HD came out with the Bluetooth WHIM, I was reluctant to spend $300 on an overpriced bluetooth communications pairing module - simply because Bluetooth is already enabled on the Infotainment, but it's blocked to only A2DP with your iPhone for music and texts. I can pair my phone with it - and it receives calls, texts and plays music - but - it won't pair with my Schuberth C4 helmet - because HD decided they wanted to make more money off selling its branded helmets rather than support 3rd party helmets.

Thats fine. I'm an engineer - so things like this don't get me upset simply because I can go buy anything I want and make it into whatever I need (Case in point - I gutted the Schuberth C4 sound system and replaced it with the Beats Studio 3) I now get amazing sound inside my Schuberth C4 with connectivity to my iPhone which is also paired to the HD Infotainment and then switch the sound on my iPhone from the HD Infotainment to my Apple Beats/Schuberth C4 so I can switch the songs on my HD handlebar controls.

Do I need to make/take phone calls? Not when I'm riding (I can but I don't need it). But - I do want to hear crystal clear music and sometimes turn by turn through my phone - so this solution works for me (for now).

Would I like everything to work seamlessly through the HD infotainment with 3rd party helmets like the SC1 Schuberth C4? Sure. It would be nice - but let's face it - the HD WHIM module was created to make HD money - and they put development effort into supporting *their* products, not third party products. To them - its best effort on anything else - if at all.

HD isn't *ever* going to be in the business of supporting any 3rd party product. They will do minimal effort (at best). So you get what you get with them.

My needs were pretty basic for a sound and intercom system, whatever Schuberth created on the C4 was ok (for the SC1) and yes - there could have been tons of things fixed (like actually putting a LED light on the outside the SC1 module and not under the rubber flap so you could see it working or not). Simple things - but misses by the Schuberth development team IMO.

Lastly - the new Infotainment system on the 2019 Harleys is nice - and supports CarPlay but you *still* need the HD WHIM to support any wireless Headsets. This is pretty bad because Bluetooth supports bi-directional communication natively - it doesn't *need* a SECONDARY physical module to do this - and this is already active within the infotainment system (since your phone pairs with it already via bluetooth soooo - it has Bluetooth already). The catch here is that HD *purposely* hobbled the Bluetooth communication protocols on the infotainment to exclude wireless headsets or to create any on them without the HD WHIM module.

The WHIM was just created by HD to make more money off the customer - that's all. HD wanted a way to charge you to add wireless headsets to the infotainment. It supports the HD branded wireless headsets natively and gives bare minimum support to 3rd party headsets, this was done to try and force you to use only HD branded wireless headsets. I think that's pretty sketchy at best. I think the feature set should have been opened up a lot more - but add in 1-2 features that HD would support on their headsets that would be the *killer* function everyone wants. This is how you drive customers to a product. Give them something that is killer that nobody else offers - not hold them hostage for stuff everyone uses and wants.

​​​​​​​Now - if you are NOT an engineer, you have only a few choices. Put up with that and buy the HD stuff they endorse (and support) - or you grumble about using a 3rd party device and get sub-par performance and supported feature sets.

Quick Reply: Wireless Headset Interface Module | Harley-Davidson