Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

helmet theft increases??

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2017, 08:02 AM
BlueTK
Cruiser
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

I found a post on this forum a few years ago that someone had used a certain Master combination lock to secure their helmet. It's the model 630D. The shackle is just big enough so that when you lock it around the brake or clutch lever it can't be pulled off due to the **** at the end of the lever. I just set my helmet onto the mirror and run the shackle through the d-ring and lock it to the brake lever. This is providing of course that your bike is using the stock brake and clutch levers.

Last edited by BlueTK; 09-20-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Old 09-21-2017, 03:57 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I have used this for years: lid, gloves, etc all in the bag, protected by the mesh and locked to the bike. Won't stop a determined or well-equipped thief, but the opportunists won't bother. Beats the hell out of carrying your lid around all day!

Old 09-21-2017, 07:15 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,955 Likes on 2,351 Posts

Originally Posted by Just Me
Who the Hell wears a full face helmet other than Metric owners and BMW owners wearing snowmobile suits.
I wear a full face in the rain, and in the winter. I wear a 1/2 helmet most the time. When ever I take a long trip, my full face comes with me, but only gets worn in the rain.

Old 09-21-2017, 07:48 AM
SWThomas
Stellar HDF Member
Received 994 Likes on 591 Posts

I wear a FF because I care more about protecting my head than I do trying to look like a HD cool guy.

The following 3 users liked this post by SWThomas:
bbissell (10-20-2017), donmontalvo (10-19-2017), JDHunz (10-20-2017)
Old 09-21-2017, 10:03 AM
SpringerRider
Road Captain
Received 191 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by striper.seeker
I usually just leave my helmet on my seat when I'm off my bike, but now that I will have the Sena on them and the WHIM installed...
Any suggestions?
TIA.
Mark
We were at a Restaurant/Club frequented by bikers. We left our helmets on the bike. Some ******** pulled up beside it in a pickup and reached out and grabbed both helmets. Fortunately there were other bikers sitting on the patio and saw it. One yelled "I got your plate number" and with that, they threw them back out the window, onto the the parking lot. We did keep our helmets - a bit scratched but we became all the wiser. And there was nothing special on the helmets.

I run with Cardos. We always remove them and carry them. Of course, the mounts are still on the helmets and they cost enough so we also lock the helmets in the truck or tour pak if we are not in familiar territory.

Those little helmet strap locks might keep honest people honest but your best bet is to get them out of sight. Might do a little house-cleaning in the trunk.

Old 09-21-2017, 02:50 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I leave my helmet on the high side highway peg. The helmet is old and scratched up, beat to ****. I have been hoping for it to get stolen for 2 years now. No one ever touches it.

Old 09-21-2017, 03:05 PM
Bike Boy
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOW TO LOCK A HELMET TO YOUR BREAKOUT[/COLOR][/B]: The lock is from BMW. The bracket is made from 3mm steel and sprayed. The helmet is modified with a 4mm stainless steel cable and that is what is used to lock the helmet to the bike. A knife can't cut the cable ... only [/U][/U][/U]a BIG side-cuter ... but few thieves walk with a BIG side-cutter in their pocket.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:33 PM
donmontalvo
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by Ray-CA
How about something like this: https://lidlox.com/?

I use the HD helmet lock with a "T-bar" like this....that I bought at Cycle-Gear.

Ray
I just ordered a Lidlox 2001-B (black)...a chapter member showed me at a meeting and I was amazed at the smart design.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:09 AM
rwven
Road Master
Received 232 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by timbo141
Here are a few selections for helmet locks from HD.
I use the first one every so often and keep two on the bike.
I lock my neotec to the tourpak luggage rack, works great.

They can be found here: http://search.harley-davidson.com/?q=Helmet%20lock

I've got the cable type lock. I've locked 2 helmets and 2 jackets at the same time with it.

Old 10-20-2017, 07:58 AM
PeteF
Road Captain
Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

The Harley locking caribener works well. If someone wants the helmet they would have to cut off the D-ring which would make the helmet useless. I just remove my Sena 10s and lock it in a saddlebag.

Quick Reply: helmet theft increases??