PSRumors
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine was switched this morning....now to go pick up the bike

Old 11-29-2017, 03:55 PM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

O.K., here's my update. Called the dealer, their Tech II was updated so I bought the bike in today. Tech hooked it up, in about 10 minutes he was done...the first time! I put the bag back, rolled the bike out and went back to pay, no charge, a nice surprise as originally it was to be a half hour labor. Played around outside but couldn't get the CB to work. I went back inside and they had me pull the bike back in. Another Tech came over and they hooked up the Tech II again. I told them about the update to the ECM, they tried that and the CB still didn't work. On their laptop screen it said the Boom software must be the current version, mine was an older version. I didn't really want that updated but I agreed and after updating the Boom software to the newest version (1.21.3.1) the change took effect, PTT on the left and CC on the right, the way it should have came from the factory 4 years ago. I tried it on the way home, had a nice conversation with a trucker up here from Alabama, LOL! Only thing I seem to have lost with the Boom update was the oil pressure reading when the radio is off, no big deal as I ride with the radio on 99% of the time. Kinda hoping that if I have any Boom issues I can revert back to an older software version and the switch update will remain, has anyone done this? Anyway, for now all is good. Now to work myself up to grabbing the switch caps with a visegrip and switching them, I guess a few wraps of electrical tape to protect the buttons wouldn't hurt...

The following users liked this post:
BobRed0965 (11-30-2017)
Old 11-29-2017, 06:28 PM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,696 Likes on 1,029 Posts

IUOE ROB - glad it worked out.

Hey, like you, I was afraid to pull the caps off... let me tell you this - just grad and pull - they come right off.

The following 2 users liked this post by cycle7447:
BobRed0965 (11-30-2017), IUOE ROB (11-29-2017)
Old 12-02-2017, 11:18 AM
MMXIWG
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
O.K., here's my update. Called the dealer, their Tech II was updated so I bought the bike in today. Tech hooked it up, in about 10 minutes he was done...the first time! I put the bag back, rolled the bike out and went back to pay, no charge, a nice surprise as originally it was to be a half hour labor. Played around outside but couldn't get the CB to work. I went back inside and they had me pull the bike back in. Another Tech came over and they hooked up the Tech II again. I told them about the update to the ECM, they tried that and the CB still didn't work. On their laptop screen it said the Boom software must be the current version, mine was an older version. I didn't really want that updated but I agreed and after updating the Boom software to the newest version (1.21.3.1) the change took effect, PTT on the left and CC on the right, the way it should have came from the factory 4 years ago. I tried it on the way home, had a nice conversation with a trucker up here from Alabama, LOL! Only thing I seem to have lost with the Boom update was the oil pressure reading when the radio is off, no big deal as I ride with the radio on 99% of the time. Kinda hoping that if I have any Boom issues I can revert back to an older software version and the switch update will remain, has anyone done this? Anyway, for now all is good. Now to work myself up to grabbing the switch caps with a visegrip and switching them, I guess a few wraps of electrical tape to protect the buttons wouldn't hurt...
I'm also curious if anyone has this working with an older software version. I use 1.19.0 because it has a better bass response than later versions.

Old 12-02-2017, 07:21 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
I'm also curious if anyone has this working with an older software version. I use 1.19.0 because it has a better bass response than later versions.
I have the switched function option on my FLHTK running software version 1.20.3 & it loaded/worked on very first attempt to make this change on any bike.

Old 12-03-2017, 08:46 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hammz
I have the switched function option on my FLHTK running software version 1.20.3 & it loaded/worked on very first attempt to make this change on any bike.
That was the version I had that wouldn't allow the update, that version was fine and I really didn't want to update. As I said there was a note on the dealer laptop (in red) that said the latest Boom software version had to be installed. Maybe this was a change when they updated the Tech II software, who knows? I'm going out again on a charity ride right now, I'll see how it goes...

Old 12-04-2017, 06:34 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by MMXIWG
I might have to find this out for both of us. I went out yesterday for a charity ride, put the bike in accessory mode to input a route and got a blank screen on the Boom. Turned on and off a few times, finally started the bike and still the blank screen. Turned the system off, waited a bit and tried again and the Boom booted as usual. This never happened before with the older software, I have to look towards the recent software update that the dealer did. If it happens again I'll be reverting back to an older software version. SMH...

Old 12-12-2017, 12:39 AM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Has anyone that has had this done recently actually watch the tech do it? I was at the dealer on Saturday and a buddy was having this done. The tech confirmed that the update was back in the Digital Tech. He hooked up the laptop to the bike and went into the program, selected the Left hand / Right Hand switchpak box from the FLASH menu, and the display said no update was available. He unplugged everything and shrugged his shoulders. Is this procedure considered a FLASH update or is it in the CUSTOMIZATION menu? I asked the service tech ,but he blew me off. I would think it's a customization because your are reversing the functions of two switches, whereas a flash is an update to a program. Anyone???

Old 12-12-2017, 05:30 AM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 576 Likes on 417 Posts

Originally Posted by White Ice
Has anyone that has had this done recently actually watch the tech do it? I was at the dealer on Saturday and a buddy was having this done. The tech confirmed that the update was back in the Digital Tech. He hooked up the laptop to the bike and went into the program, selected the Left hand / Right Hand switchpak box from the FLASH menu, and the display said no update was available. He unplugged everything and shrugged his shoulders. Is this procedure considered a FLASH update or is it in the CUSTOMIZATION menu? I asked the service tech ,but he blew me off. I would think it's a customization because your are reversing the functions of two switches, whereas a flash is an update to a program. Anyone???
I've watched the service manager update several bikes, but I can't verify exactly what he did. I know for my bike, it was a 2 part change. Before he reassigned the switches, he had to go into another menu & verify/change something, then he went into the menu where he reassigned the switches. He whipped through it so quickly, w/o explaining what he was doing that I can't provide specific details. Maybe someone else can verify the procedure?

Old 12-12-2017, 07:56 AM
FLSTFI Dave
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,952 Likes on 2,350 Posts

I did not watch, but had mine done two weeks ago.

So much better now.

Quick Reply: PTT Switch Move