Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Leaky Primary Drain Plug?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2017, 10:02 PM
CSMHOG
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 281 Likes on 177 Posts

New o-ring every time and 14 ft-lbs, anymore is over kill. You can get a pack of 50 o-rings for $9, don’t throw your money away at the dealer.
Amazon Amazon

Last edited by CSMHOG; 12-10-2017 at 10:04 PM.
Old 12-10-2017, 10:47 PM
rcrankin
Club Member
Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

New o-ring and a little Teflon paste on the threads each time. I don't use Teflon tape in case a piece of the tape breaks loose.... don't need it circulating in the engine, primary or tranny.

To the OP. Make sure the fluid from the tranny change isn't running down the plate, between the frame rails, to the primary side and dripping from there.

Old 12-11-2017, 07:44 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I found thread sealer and a torn o-ring on mine, all three holes, when I did my next oil change after letting the dealer shop do the 1k mile service, two years ago. I cleaned the spunk off the threads, put on a new o-ring, torqued it properly, and no leaks. Ever.

I've even re-used the o-rings during subsequent oil changes, because they looked perfect upon removal, and I was curious if they would start leaking. They never leaked.

I can't understand the use of thread sealer on these bolts. And I sure as **** can't understand how the dealer shop "mechanic" managed to rip the o-rings. Seems like a very simple project that a man would have to go out of his way to botch.

Old 12-11-2017, 10:57 AM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by traildog
Looks like mine is NOT the plug.

I cleaned it really well after a ride and the drip formed on the primary gasket.....
Probably no big deal. Recheck the snugness of the five torx screws holding the primary inspection cover. If this doesn't stop the leak, remove the cover and replace the large rubber gasket. Some people replace this gasket every time.

Old 12-12-2017, 10:37 PM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

I had the same problem with my Wide Glide. It was the transmission seal leaking out the back of the primary. Looked like it was the drain plug from the drip. Hope you just need the rubber O ring. By the way, if Harley does not recommend pipe dope or Teflon, why would you? New O ring every once in a while with no leaks on my Road Glide. I'm at 45K.

Old 12-13-2017, 08:59 AM
jkghdrider
Cruiser
Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts

My 15' FLHTK has some tape on it when I removed it , cleaned all that off & didn't put any on when putting back in, just replaced the O-Ring and no issues so far....

Old 12-13-2017, 09:08 AM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Originally Posted by CSMHOG
New o-ring every time and 14 ft-lbs, anymore is over kill. You can get a pack of 50 o-rings for $9, don’t throw your money away at the dealer. https://www.amazon.com/50-Pack-Harle.../dp/B01DUTU9FS

Old 12-14-2017, 10:06 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Funny thing: I watched the oil change video over at FixMyHog, a couple of years ago, right after I got my new 2016 FLHTCU.

The guy in the video put thread sealer on each of the three drain plugs before screwing them back in. He went so far as to show a close-up of him putting the sealer on the bolts, exactly how to do it, implying that this is a required thing.

This makes me think it isn't a factory thing, the thread sealer, but rather something old timer Harley mechanics "used" to do back in the day, when Harley drain plugs may've leaked without thread sealer. Obviously, this is no longer required.

Old 12-14-2017, 04:06 PM
68 XLCH
Road Warrior
Received 149 Likes on 129 Posts

Harley does use thread sealer on more than just the drain plugs, air filter for sure, that is definitely not required on the air filter.

However, i do use thread sealer, plumbers paste on the 3 drain plugs have for years.

I change the o rings no matter what they look like, and just a little thread seal on a few of the last few threads for good measure. The torque is almost non existent, i can see a tech or an owner easily over tightening these plugs and possibly causing an issue. Don't over tighten these plugs.

I'm sure if you did your first oil change you saw thread sealer on those bolts, that is the way my last two bikes came from HD. I change all three every 3 to 3.5K, over kill probably, but cheap insurance to keep everything in good shape.

Old 12-15-2017, 12:52 AM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

Originally Posted by 68 XLCH
New O rings and a little plumbers dope.
+1 no tape use pipe dope. Orings you can reuse if they look ok with pipe dope

Quick Reply: Leaky Primary Drain Plug?