2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2018, 10:05 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

The soul of a Harley comes from the American Vtwin and nostalgic build. I had to look at the tach On my Kawasaki Concours’s to see if the motor was running. Harley rider’s feel, smell, and see their bike running. That is why they call their connection to their Harley’s soul.

I agree Metric riders are looking for performance. Human nature drives us to go faster, farther, and quicker. Nothing wrong with performance. I found great satisfaction in going long distances on a bike that performs effortlessly at any speed. And if speed is a definition of soul, then they have soul.

But what my Metics lacked is the pleasure or riding to the store or riding with a passenger downtown for lunch. My wife doesn’t understand soul, but she finds riding my Metrics boring. She doesn’t like performance, it’s scary for her. She couldn’t tell you why riding my 07 RK Custom makes her smile, and why she thinks the color yellow is her favorite color bike of 10 or so bikes I’ve owned. And she hates yellow.

I’m not knocking soulless Metric bikes, I’ve owned several. I will likely own more. They have their places in the hearts men seeking adventure. But, when it comes to soul, well that describes why I keep buying Harleys.

If the shortcomings of the Vtwin and nostalgia are the draw (and they are) to Harley’s, then good for them because they are one of the top selling bike in the US.

Beary

Old 03-18-2018, 11:14 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
The soul of a Harley comes from the American Vtwin and nostalgic build. I had to look at the tach On my Kawasaki Concours’s to see if the motor was running. Harley rider’s feel, smell, and see their bike running. That is why they call their connection to their Harley’s soul.

I agree Metric riders are looking for performance. Human nature drives us to go faster, farther, and quicker. Nothing wrong with performance. I found great satisfaction in going long distances on a bike that performs effortlessly at any speed. And if speed is a definition of soul, then they have soul.

But what my Metics lacked is the pleasure or riding to the store or riding with a passenger downtown for lunch. My wife doesn’t understand soul, but she finds riding my Metrics boring. She doesn’t like performance, it’s scary for her. She couldn’t tell you why riding my 07 RK Custom makes her smile, and why she thinks the color yellow is her favorite color bike of 10 or so bikes I’ve owned. And she hates yellow.

I’m not knocking soulless Metric bikes, I’ve owned several. I will likely own more. They have their places in the hearts men seeking adventure. But, when it comes to soul, well that describes why I keep buying Harleys.

If the shortcomings of the Vtwin and nostalgia are the draw (and they are) to Harley’s, then good for them because they are one of the top selling bike in the US.

Beary
Harleys are really nice, enjoyable motorcycles. I would not have purchased 12 new ones over a 28 year run if I didn't love them.

During those years I did become frustrated with some of Harleys shortcomings as well as how some dealerships let success go to there head. When I looked at and/or rode other brands I always came back to Harley because the other bikes simply didn't move me, regardless of how much I wanted to like them. I didn't want to own a 2 wheel car, I enjoy looking at my bikes in addition to riding.

performance is one of the most miss-understood features of a bike in my opinion. For myself, it doesn't mean I want to go 130 mph. It doesn't mean I want to drag my knee around corners, it doesn't mean I want to do burnouts or pull the front wheel into the air. At 66 years old I'm way past all that.

Recently, I loaded up my previous Harley and headed to Canada. While I loved that trip it left me with the desire to improve my ride.

when BMW introduced the new 18 K1600B or Bagger it caught my attention. I liked the styling created by Rolland Sands, decided to take a test ride. While a V-twin has a special feeling, so does a straight 6cyl. Sound goes from tame to a F1 race car. Torque is amazing right off idle. Does a straight 6cyl have a soul? I would say so. In addition to a great motor I wanted a great suspension system. Nothing like a bike that feels composed, handles whatever you throw at it, comfort is also paramount, this bike delivers the most comfortable ride I have experienced. The aerodynamics give you clean air. The result is the ability to ride all day without feeling tired.

It's simply a different motorcycle than a Harley. Built for those with different expectations. Do yourself a favor, test ride one. See if you don't return smiling ear to ear. It's simply FUN.

Old 03-18-2018, 12:55 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

If my post sounded defensive, I didn’t intend it that way. My apologies. My hobby is buying and selling bikes. It seems I like them all.

I have rode the BMW1600B and it is everything you say. I hesitated because they tend to require above average maintenance with above labor cost. The local police department switched from Harley’s to BMWs a few years back. I was talking to one of the department’s riders (I honestly didn’t see the speed limit drop from 45 to 25), and he really liked the BMW performance. But he was on his 2nd bike because the transmission on his first locked and took the engine with it. He the department is switching back to Harley’s because the high cost of the BMW maintenance and because the new Harley have the performance they need.

Then Honda came out with the new Gold Wing. I have a friend with a Gold Wing and I get to ride it a lot. The setting position is what keeps me away. If they improved that some, I might give it a try.

I don’t know, my Gold Wing buddy wants my 14 Limited because he wants the soul of the Vtwin. He likes working on his bikes and Harley’s are a lot easier. He is also a BMW driver as well. Who would have thought.

Gotta go, lm taking the Limited to get a cup of coffee.

Beary

Old 03-18-2018, 02:24 PM
jd05flhtci
Road Warrior
Received 311 Likes on 249 Posts

If my post sounded defensive, I didn’t intend it that way. My apologies. My hobby is buying and selling bikes. It seems I like them all.

I have rode the BMW1600B and it is everything you say. I hesitated because they tend to require above average maintenance with above labor cost. The local police department switched from Harley’s to BMWs a few years back. I was talking to one of the department’s riders (I honestly didn’t see the speed limit drop from 45 to 25), and he really liked the BMW performance. But he was on his 2nd bike because the transmission on his first locked and took the engine with it. He the department is switching back to Harley’s because the high cost of the BMW maintenance and because the new Harley have the performance they need.

Then Honda came out with the new Gold Wing. I have a friend with a Gold Wing and I get to ride it a lot. The setting position is what keeps me away. If they improved that some, I might give it a try.

I don’t know, my Gold Wing buddy wants my 14 Limited because he wants the soul of the Vtwin. He likes working on his bikes and Harley’s are a lot easier. He is also a BMW driver as well. Who would have thought.

Beary
I fully agree with you Beary i own a Kawi,Suzuki,Honda and 2 Harleys. Each bike has different purposes and the Harleys always put a smile on my face. I too like all sorts of bikes and in the future would like to add the new Yamaha or an Indian.I have not rode the new goldwing or BMW but hopefully i will sometime this spring

Last edited by jd05flhtci; 03-18-2018 at 02:25 PM.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:16 AM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Beary
Beary; no apology needed but thank you. I was just trying to explain my thought process.

I was also concerned about the maintenance cost of the BMW. What I have learned is that it's not significantly more than a Harley. They call for a basic service once a year or 6000 miles. The major service is the valve adjustment every 18000 miles. I compared that to the major service on a Harley touring bike every 10000 miles. Should anything fail, they come with a 3 year warranty, I added 3 more years for $1500. From what I have learned they have a pretty good reliability reputation, especially the new bikes. They had some issues when the K1600 came out in 2012, the new models do not. That said, it's not unusual to see guys with 100,000 miles on there k1600 6cyl.

anyway, enjoy your bikes. Riding is what it's all about.

Old 03-19-2018, 11:12 AM
dceggert
Road Master
Received 495 Likes on 259 Posts

Originally Posted by Plow64
I purchased a 2014 K1600 GTLE last December, rode it for a few hundred miles, and sold it this past April. Had it for 3 months. Fantastic performance, lots of good tech features, but ultimately it was a mismatch for my style of riding, which is basically cruising, with an occasional throttle excursion to get up to speed quickly. I have since picked up a 2015 Ultra Ltd and it's a perfect fit for my kind of riding, and my wife is thrilled about the tour-pack back rest. Also factor in you'll need a new set of riding gear, to include helmet. I did note that the K1600 family are big-time into being "fully networked" while riding: wireless comms, navigation and high tech helmets, and they're not fans of loud stereo speakers. Definitely demo ride the 1600B and think about if it fits your style of riding. If I had money to burn, I would have kept it as a 3rd bike...
I know I am replying to an old post but this is important when considering 'other' bikes. The bike is the bike. You do not HAVE to do anything special for the 'lifestyle' that evolves around the machine.

Now, to break the stereotypes...some blast their radios on BMW bikes. Some use Bluetooth communications on their Harleys. As for 'what to wear' I wear the same thing on my Harley as I do on my BMW. We are out in the wind and being in the elements should dictate what we wear not the 'crowd.'

Until I bought my first Harley (1999 Ultra Classic) I thought they could not ride in the rain! Why? Because while motoring on my BMW wearing water proof textile materials, gloves, and modular helmet I would always pass the groups of bikes under the overpasses waiting out rainstorms. Me, I just zipped up and kept riding. Now I realize it is the choices of what one wears that dictate that and not the bike at all. Over the years I perfected what I wear and it does not matter which bike I take....the wind, elements, and temperatures are the same for me.

If you really feel you need to 'fit in' with the BMW crowd you need to figure out which one you want to fit in with. There are the R-bike road riders that do one thing, the K-bike road riders that do another, and the R-bike GS off-road riders that do another, and then there are the step-riders on the F-machines are rejected by all the others. Where does the K1600B fit in? I have no clue but I can lay good money down that the K1600GT/GTL riders will look at the bike and wonder why anyone would buy it. The R and F riders will not even care. Yea, just as diversified as the HD crowd.

In short...there is no group to fit in to....

Old 03-19-2018, 01:23 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 521 Likes on 361 Posts

I couldn't imagine checking 24 valves when doing a valve clearance. Yet alone taking out all of the body work and keeping track all the shim sizes and thickness. Then getting charged like 10 bucks a shim. Thats 240 dollars on Shims alone. My KTM dealer wanted to charge me 10 bucks for one shim. I told them I could by an entire box of them for what you are charging me. It takes me an hour on my dirt bike to check valves.

Old 03-19-2018, 02:53 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
I couldn't imagine checking 24 valves when doing a valve clearance. Yet alone taking out all of the body work and keeping track all the shim sizes and thickness. Then getting charged like 10 bucks a shim. Thats 240 dollars on Shims alone. My KTM dealer wanted to charge me 10 bucks for one shim. I told them I could by an entire box of them for what you are charging me. It takes me an hour on my dirt bike to check valves.
that's why we have dealers. When the time comes I will simply have them do the job. Never claimed the 6cyl BMW was a cheap bike to own. Nor is a Harley cheap to own.