2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2017, 10:15 PM
mchertel
Tourer
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

It reminds me of the Concours 14 Sport Touring bike I had. I am sure it’s a fine bike but let be the CVO Limited way to much to even consider anything else. And comparing it for two up my wife would never go for it. I have a friend with a BMW and they are in the shop just as much as Harley’s.

Old 10-02-2017, 07:41 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,681 Likes on 824 Posts

I saw a new 114 Heritage at the dealer. I opened one of the bags,, and wondered if I would even be able to fit my lightweight jacket in there with a pair of gloves. TINY! But hey, that's what tourpaks are for. I also didn't like the "save a penny" blacked out fad that is going on. If you are going to have an old school scoot, it should have lots of chrome, that's just me. If you are going to do some traveling, I would say the RG (although can't stand the fairing) or not so much, the Heritage. Seat height is another consideration, I would have to go with the Heritage due to the short inseam syndrome. If you were to combine the two, you would have a nice Roadking for about what you would pay for the Heritage, lower it a bit and tons more bag room. The BMW? Meh, they are fugly as hell, so NO!

Old 10-02-2017, 08:22 AM
Kermie
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 314 Likes on 291 Posts

As others have said, it's your money and your needs. If the bike calls to you, and makes you want to get out and ride, then this the bike. If they all do, then pick the one that draws you the most. For me the HD was what called me the most. The Heritage was on my list, but the bags hurt my needs. I put my leather jacket in my RGS saddle back along with thick gloves and go into work. The Heritage would have required more baggage options to do this. As to the BMW, not my cup of tea. There are a few BM'ers that call out to me, but that ain't one of them. But to each his own. Do what you want, not what we tell you.

Old 10-02-2017, 08:30 AM
HarleyBP
Road Master
Received 101 Likes on 93 Posts

I know 3 people who ride BMW's. While all like the ride and handling, they also complain that whenever anything goes wrong, there is a wait for parts and the bike sits, sometimes for weeks during riding season. For me, that is a non starter. I would look for other owners and ask them to share their experiences with maintenance costs and support.

Old 10-02-2017, 10:50 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

I rode a new K1600 a few months ago. It was a fairly long test ride, about 25 miles. I like the bike, and am accustomed to four and six cylinder foreign bikes, so it fits me well...

However, I personally will stay with Harley. The BMW dealer network is thin, very thin. You will search far and wide to find one. There isn't one where I live, so I would have to ride 70 miles to get to the nearest dealer shop. BMWs are complex designs compared to new Harleys. Much more difficult to do your own repairs.

BMWs (I've owned two of 'em) are temperamental, and prone to things breaking. Even with a new one you will spend a fair amount of time not only looking for that dealer shop, but also waiting for them to fix your bike.

Harleys are simple, they get the job done in style, and when things break there is a dealer shop nearby.

Old 10-02-2017, 11:04 AM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I recently sold my 2015 CVO Street Glide and bought a K1600B. Only a handful of miles so far, picked it up last Friday, put on about 250miles so far. Rained on Saturday so I didn't more miles.

Powerful, smooth, great handling, fit me well. It's a reach to the ground for me even with the low seat but at about 100lbs lighter, it's still easy to move (plus a standard reverse is very convenient). I think they have winner on their hands, when you figure a loaded 16B comes in under a SG or RG Special. and compare the standard tech and flexibility of the bike. Plus, no really accessories to buy, so that $26k bike won't cost me $36k in a few weeks after accessories, tune, etc...

There are some downsides, the stereo is barely adequate and there are no options (yet) for a tour pack or even a passenger backrest. I'm assured that the bike is very new and the aftermarket will embrace it as they have with the other K16s.

The dealer network is a concern, I have two "local" (within 50 miles of home) although I bought from the one a bit further away that seems to have a great reputation. It's funny though, admittedly, to hear about the dealer network concerns despite there being 1000s of posts about the HD "stealer" network and how many wouldn't let a dealer mechanic within a mile of their bike. But the independent HD mechanics are all over too, and at least they are available.

I guess we'll see what the actual ownership experience is like. But it is quite a machine, it's funny what you get used to, because riding my CVO home AFTER my first test ride was what sold me.

Last edited by plutnicki; 10-02-2017 at 11:06 AM.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:43 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

Originally Posted by mchertel
It reminds me of the Concours 14 Sport Touring bike I had. I am sure it’s a fine bike but let be the CVO Limited way to much to even consider anything else. And comparing it for two up my wife would never go for it. I have a friend with a BMW and they are in the shop just as much as Harley’s.
The Heritage and B1600 are two COMPLETELY different bikes.

My Conny was fun, but lacked personality. I traded it for my 14 Limited. Not as fast, but a lot more enjoyable.

I did go look at the 1600B with the idea it might be the ideal bike, but again it is boring. Fast, handles great and miles go fast. But it's not bikers bike. It belongs to longhaulers who just want performance.

If you just want a little change, the 1200RT with the Boxer engine is fun, fast and has a little more of the engine personality.

Beary

Last edited by beary; 10-02-2017 at 03:46 PM.
The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (10-03-2017)
Old 10-02-2017, 10:59 PM
AussieDog
Road Master
Received 698 Likes on 317 Posts
Default Time Will Tell

[QUOTE=scottt;16691840]Having owned nothing but Harleys for close to 30 years, have decided to check out the new BMW K1600B with a test ride. Will test ride a new Road Glide and Heritage 114 before deciding.

While I feel a bit like a traitor for even thinking about a non HD, going to make sure I'm buying what's best for me. It's a ton of cash. If anyone's interested, I will share my impression following my test ride.

This is the K1600B, what do you guys think? Personally, I generally like German products.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2016/10/bmw-announces-k-1600-b-grand-american-touring-from-germany/[/QU

w
We are at a fortunate place right now. Touring bikes in various forms are coming to the forefront. Harley has its full slate, as does Indian. Nice bikes. BMW offers two 1600 models, now a 3rd stripped version called a bagger. Yamaha has a new tourer and rumored bagger, the same for a new Gold Wing. We have had this wealth before. In the late 80's we had big Yamahas, six cylinder Gold Wings, evo Harleys all competing. A few sport tourers in the mix as well. At the end of the day who held in there? Harleys. I welcome the new bikes, it will improve the breed. But I know who will be there at the end.

The following users liked this post:
INJEKTER (10-03-2017)
Old 10-03-2017, 07:26 AM
dDavid
Tourer
Received 104 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki

I guess we'll see what the actual ownership experience is like. But it is quite a machine, it's funny what you get used to, because riding my CVO home AFTER my first test ride was what sold me.
I can imagine. The Harley does as much moving side to side as it does forward. It's almost impossible to compare the two, it's like apples to apple juice.

I've come from owning several Goldwings, and I have intentionally avoided comparing them to my Limited. They're very different motorcycles. I wanted different.

Old 10-03-2017, 10:19 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki
I recently sold my 2015 CVO Street Glide and bought a K1600B. Only a handful of miles so far, picked it up last Friday, put on about 250miles so far. Rained on Saturday so I didn't more miles.

Powerful, smooth, great handling, fit me well. It's a reach to the ground for me even with the low seat but at about 100lbs lighter, it's still easy to move (plus a standard reverse is very convenient). I think they have winner on their hands, when you figure a loaded 16B comes in under a SG or RG Special. and compare the standard tech and flexibility of the bike. Plus, no really accessories to buy, so that $26k bike won't cost me $36k in a few weeks after accessories, tune, etc...

There are some downsides, the stereo is barely adequate and there are no options (yet) for a tour pack or even a passenger backrest. I'm assured that the bike is very new and the aftermarket will embrace it as they have with the other K16s.

The dealer network is a concern, I have two "local" (within 50 miles of home) although I bought from the one a bit further away that seems to have a great reputation. It's funny though, admittedly, to hear about the dealer network concerns despite there being 1000s of posts about the HD "stealer" network and how many wouldn't let a dealer mechanic within a mile of their bike. But the independent HD mechanics are all over too, and at least they are available.

hilarious.... you start off saying that you save money cause you dont need to buy anything for the bike...... then 2 sentences later you start listing all the things you need to get for it....but that they dont exist yet....hahaha thx for the laugh

Quick Reply: 18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.