2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 01:21 PM
oakmossy
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 66 Posts

however, i personally will stay with harley. The bmw dealer network is thin, very thin. You will search far and wide to find one. There isn't one where i live, so i would have to ride 70 miles to get to the nearest dealer shop. Bmws are complex designs compared to new harleys. Much more difficult to do your own repairs.

Bmws (i've owned two of 'em) are temperamental, and prone to things breaking. Even with a new one you will spend a fair amount of time not only looking for that dealer shop, but also waiting for them to fix your bike.

Harleys are simple, they get the job done in style, and when things break there is a dealer shop nearby.
ditto!

Old 10-03-2017, 02:19 PM
jpooch00
Elite HDF Member
Received 265 Likes on 224 Posts

IMO, H-D yes, Beemer NO!

Old 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
hilarious.... you start off saying that you save money cause you dont need to buy anything for the bike...... then 2 sentences later you start listing all the things you need to get for it....but that they dont exist yet....hahaha thx for the laugh
I'm not sure you can compare needing to get a passenger backrest (one single thing, which one would also have to get for a Street Glide given the same constraints) to the wealth of accessories the average buyer would get for the HD, and I know, because I accessorized both of my Street Glides.

But hey, if that's hilarious, glad you enjoyed!

Old 10-03-2017, 03:28 PM
plutnicki
Road Master
Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by dDavid
I've come from owning several Goldwings, and I have intentionally avoided comparing them to my Limited. They're very different motorcycles. I wanted different.
Agreed, "different" is what I was after this time around too.

Old 10-03-2017, 09:35 PM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,118 Likes on 732 Posts

I've ridden K1600GTL and it was on my short list. If the new K1600B had some sort of trunk, it would likely be in my garage now.

Plan on testing riding one soon. Guessing I'll get it and the 15 RGS will be gone. I love the RGS, but I think this will be too much bike to pass up. I ride harder than my RG can really handle. I'll be keeping my 03 RKC forever tho.

Old 10-04-2017, 04:07 AM
Plow64
Stellar HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 110 Posts

I purchased a 2014 K1600 GTLE last December, rode it for a few hundred miles, and sold it this past April. Had it for 3 months. Fantastic performance, lots of good tech features, but ultimately it was a mismatch for my style of riding, which is basically cruising, with an occasional throttle excursion to get up to speed quickly. I have since picked up a 2015 Ultra Ltd and it's a perfect fit for my kind of riding, and my wife is thrilled about the tour-pack back rest. Also factor in you'll need a new set of riding gear, to include helmet. I did note that the K1600 family are big-time into being "fully networked" while riding: wireless comms, navigation and high tech helmets, and they're not fans of loud stereo speakers. Definitely demo ride the 1600B and think about if it fits your style of riding. If I had money to burn, I would have kept it as a 3rd bike...

Last edited by Plow64; 10-04-2017 at 04:23 AM.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:23 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Two Bikes, from two different worlds.

If you ride at high speeds with a radar detector, and cover 6 or 7 hundred miles
a day to the destination.
BMW may be for you.

That being said, when riding you like comfort, carry a passenger, stop to take a picture or
two from time to time. You may ride at a relaxed pace, and it's the ride not the destination.
Harley might be your Bike.

John

Old 10-04-2017, 10:32 AM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by plutnicki
I'm not sure you can compare needing to get a passenger backrest (one single thing, which one would also have to get for a Street Glide given the same constraints) to the wealth of accessories the average buyer would get for the HD, and I know, because I accessorized both of my Street Glides.

But hey, if that's hilarious, glad you enjoyed!
dont forget you mentioned needing a stereo upgrade and a tour pack... this i assume will be just the start of your.... " dont need to buy anything for it" purchases..... yes it came across very funny.... enjoy your ride... ride safe

Old 10-04-2017, 11:04 AM
KrustyKush
Road Master
Received 431 Likes on 287 Posts

Several have said that they think the Beemer is a better long-haul bike than a Harley could be. I've been riding long-haul Japanese bikes most of my life, over 50 years. I like to flog the bike hard and yes, I can ride an 800 mile day, and have done so on my FLHTCU.

The Harley is as good a long-haul bike as any Beemer, or anything else, frankly. When I bought my FLHTCU I had a mission: keep it bone stock, ride the **** out of it, wear it out by the time it is paid off. I have kept that mission, and am now at 34k miles, in a little over a year-and-a-half. I've had very few mechanical issues. Small things, like the gas cap, and an oil leak on the rear rocker box. All easy to fix, and within the "norm" for a modern machine. I would expect the Beemer to be no better, and probably worse. I've owned two Beemers. Both were problem children that had to be band-aided constantly.

I've ridden my FLHTCU across the desert (I live in a desert) at 106f. I've ridden it from Santa Fe to Los Angeles in one day. I've ridden it in pouring cold rain in Texas in October. I use it for daily transportation. And I do all my own work on it. It is utterly reliable, the best long haul motorcycle I've ever owned.

Old 10-04-2017, 02:41 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

As the OP, I rode the K1600B today. What a machine! Really liked how the 6cyl sounded and felt. The hard thing for me was the shifter. Not accustomed to the BMW shifter. The brakes and clutch work really nice. The reverse would be nice at times as well. Over all I'm impressed. Now I need to test ride a 114 Heritage.

Quick Reply: 18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.