2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 01:43 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by BellTired
Just my (2) cents(?)....I come to HDForums/& others to discuss/listen/learn about HD....now I'm an ole' fart & I just bought my 30th HD(2018 Street Glide-Standard-I
like chrome)....strange that is it still called HD-Forums!....maybe, bike/motorcycle forums??.....my 1st HD was a 1949 Panhead chopper(yes, cause of EasyRider)..still love to learn/explore anything to do with HD....yes, I'm a homer....sorry, guys>>>there has to at least (1)..
Those of us that buy a non Harley are not doing so to put down the MoCo. Nor are we walking away from the brand in general.

Speaking for myself, I was at a point where I wanted a new bike, needed the bike to be lighter and easier to handle in difficult parking situations and wanted that bike to be really fun to ride. The 18 K1600b was the best choice for those reasons. Would still love owning a Harley, still enjoy my Harley riding buddies.

Hopefully, Harley will step up there game with the touring line soon. Had the current touring HD been close I would have bought it. The touring line needs a more modern frame and suspension, the 114 should be standard, they need a reverse option and improve the Nav system. Again, not knocking, making friendly suggestions.

Old 10-21-2017, 02:02 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by scottt
...Hopefully, Harley will step up their game with the touring line soon. Had the current touring HD been close I would have bought it. The touring line needs a more modern frame and suspension, the 114 should be standard, they need a reverse option and improve the Nav system. Again, not knocking, making friendly suggestions.
And bluetooth connectivity for the BOOM Infotainment system, without screwing us over for it.

I'm with you...I love my RGS, and if Harley came up with something that actually was competitive with other brands, I'd be all over it.

But, for me, once I started looking around, the denial had to end. I'm not going to continue to pay more and get less.

Old 10-21-2017, 05:23 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker
And bluetooth connectivity for the BOOM Infotainment system, without screwing us over for it.

I'm with you...I love my RGS, and if Harley came up with something that actually was competitive with other brands, I'd be all over it.

But, for me, once I started looking around, the denial had to end. I'm not going to continue to pay more and get less.
Just returned from a real nice ride on the K1600B. How I feel after riding is so much better, no comparison. I specifically took a route on rougher roads so I could compare. Went over rail road tracks, old rough pavement like a dream. No bounce.

You really must experience to appreciate. The only down side compared to a Harley, some won't like the quieter sound. Harleys have that unique sound that many love. That sound is lost on the BMW. That I think is the only down side.

Old 10-21-2017, 06:46 PM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Just returned from a real nice ride on the K1600B. How I feel after riding is so much better, no comparison. I specifically took a route on rougher roads so I could compare. Went over rail road tracks, old rough pavement like a dream. No bounce.

You really must experience to appreciate. The only down side compared to a Harley, some won't like the quieter sound. Harleys have that unique sound that many love. That sound is lost on the BMW. That I think is the only down side.
I don 't mean this at all disrespectfully; I'm glad you like the Beemer and I wish you many happy miles on her. But the truth is, if they go all modern with the touring line, there will be many (like myself) that will not be happy. Look at the outcry against the new Softails! That's what so great about having choices!

This is the first bike I've really used a radio on. The one on my 2010 Ultra I rarely turned on. I'm actually very happy with my Harley. And if I happen to cross paths with you on your Beemer, I'll share a happy wave or beverage with you - no matter what you ride!

Old 10-21-2017, 08:36 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by QNman
I don 't mean this at all disrespectfully; I'm glad you like the Beemer and I wish you many happy miles on her. But the truth is, if they go all modern with the touring line, there will be many (like myself) that will not be happy. Look at the outcry against the new Softails! That's what so great about having choices!

This is the first bike I've really used a radio on. The one on my 2010 Ultra I rarely turned on. I'm actually very happy with my Harley. And if I happen to cross paths with you on your Beemer, I'll share a happy wave or beverage with you - no matter what you ride!
Appreciate, hope we do cross someday. ...your desire to stay low tech, and a traditional frame to avoid upsetting old time riders is part of the MoCo biggest hurdles. How do you grow a business without staying competitive? How do you generate sales without making big changes? The other motorcycle manufactures generally don't have that problem.

I rode Harleys for 28 years, yet I embrace change. That does not make other views wrong, as you said, good to have choice.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:07 AM
Hammerhead Pat
Stellar HDF Member
Received 892 Likes on 534 Posts

Appreciate, hope we do cross someday. ...your desire to stay low tech, and a traditional frame to avoid upsetting old time riders is part of the MoCo biggest hurdles. How do you grow a business without staying competitive? How do you generate sales without making big changes? The other motorcycle manufactures generally don't have that problem.

I rode Harleys for 28 years, yet I embrace change. That does not make other views wrong, as you said, good to have choice.
Scott, did you inquire about DIY procedures for your new ride, you know, fluid changes, pad replacement, minor stuff like that? Or is it gonna be a get bent over moment whenever that stuff needs to be addressed? I am very interested in this bike and am waiting to see what the" alleged" tour box is gonna look like. Can't wait to go ride one...

Old 10-22-2017, 07:30 AM
Two Lane Tramp
Road Master
Received 268 Likes on 158 Posts

Ok, since no one else has said it, I have to. Why the hell are we discussing Beemers on a HD forum? I have to listen to this with my Beemer buddies. I don't give a rats *** if they have gold plated seats, I hate them. They are ugly and ride like sewing machines (yes I have rode them). I don't like Indians either. Harleys best "F*** the rest"!!

Old 10-22-2017, 11:43 AM
QNman
Supporter
Received 3,706 Likes on 1,987 Posts

Lol. Make no mistake - I LIKE the new Softail; but many do not. I am happy with my touring frame too. Would I argue with the frame being stiffer and the suspension being better? Not at all. But are they a giant POS, even compared to BMW, Kawasaki, and Honda? Also, not at all. Having ridden two out of the three of those, I can attest that while the Harley is definitely "lower tech", that doesn't make them inferior or garbage.

The Harley touring bikes do what they were designed to do - cruise along the highway for mile after mile. And they do it as well as their competition, depending on terrain, speed, etc. Not everyone wants to carve it up or get along speedily or gives a crap about every known bell and whistle.

Old 10-22-2017, 07:22 PM
YPD485
Stellar HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by IdahoHacker

I live in a very small community, with a very small Yamaha dealer. But, they're going to bite the bullet and get a Star Venture Transcontinental just for a demo. I was talking to the sales guy, and he said if I wanted to put down a deposit, I'd be #9.

I personally know of three current Harley touring bike riders who are seriously leaning toward that Yamaha.
Isn't the Yamaha delayed due to production problems till the end of the year? Will dealers ever see them?

Old 10-22-2017, 07:32 PM
IdahoHacker
Club Member

Received 2,953 Likes on 1,685 Posts

Originally Posted by YPD485
Isn't the Yamaha delayed due to production problems till the end of the year? Will dealers ever see them?
Yup, delayed until December-January.

Oh, hell yes, dealers will see them. Yamaha has been working on this new bike for almost six years. Even more importantly, rumor is pretty strong that Honda is releasing a brand new Gold Wing on Tuesday. So, Yamaha is feeling the pressure, no doubt about it.

Quick Reply: 18 HARLEY touring or 18 Heritage 114 or BMW K1600B. Different bikes, big decision.