Sponsored by:

What do I need to have done

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2020, 08:18 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default What do I need to have done

My 2015 Limited has 67,500 miles, and has been basically trouble free, other than a waterpump at 31K miles.

I will be heading out in June for another cross country trip, and was just wondering if I need to be concerned about any mechanical time bombs that I could get fixed now.

i am not concerned about things I can see like tires, drive belt, or normal maintenance like oil changes, but internal stuff that I can't see. .

Old 03-22-2020, 10:19 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,167 Posts

You say you had a pump at 31K. Was the pump replaced with the OEM original or the newer upgraded version? I'm getting ready to open up my primary and cam chest to inspect the chain tensioners and replace as needed. I don't know what the recommended mileage is for doing stuff like this, but I know they're wear items, so at 51K I decided that's what I would do. Plus, I've got a shift shaft seal leak, so I figured why not address other things while the bike is on the lift.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:13 AM
NODYNA
Road Warrior
Received 863 Likes on 511 Posts

If you haven't already done the 50k service in fork tube oil change, radiator flush, brake fluid flush definitely do those. A super close inspection of the drive belt, Cush drive, primary component inspection/replacement, wheel bearing, battery, fob battery fuel filter.

Old 03-22-2020, 11:57 AM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
You say you had a pump at 31K. Was the pump replaced with the OEM original or the newer upgraded version? I'm getting ready to open up my primary and cam chest to inspect the chain tensioners and replace as needed. I don't know what the recommended mileage is for doing stuff like this, but I know they're wear items, so at 51K I decided that's what I would do. Plus, I've got a shift shaft seal leak, so I figured why not address other things while the bike is on the lift.
It was replaced with the old pump, at that time the new model was not yet out. Let me know about the chain tensioners, and since your mileage is less than mine, if you need it, I definitely will need it. .

Originally Posted by NODYNA
If you haven't already done the 50k service in fork tube oil change, radiator flush, brake fluid flush definitely do those. A super close inspection of the drive belt, Cush drive, primary component inspection/replacement, wheel bearing, battery, fob battery fuel filter.
I went to Alaska last year and did the 50K mile early, including new wheel bearings, fork tube rebuild kit, new brake pads, new front tire, brake and clutch fluid flush, and a new battery. I didn't do a radiator flush, not sure why I didn't, but if I did, I didn't write it down.

Fuel filter is probably good idea. When you say primary component inspection, do you mean the clutch plates?.
What is the Cush drive, not sure what that is. thanks

Old 03-22-2020, 01:58 PM
Nitro 54
Road Master
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Cush drive is a shock absorber that the rear sprocket fits in on your back wheel. I'm doing a whole S%S cam chest right now. I didn't want to just check the cam tensioners and put it all back together with "used" parts. I'm at 40,000 miles.

Old 03-22-2020, 02:24 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Nitro 54
Cush drive is a shock absorber that the rear sprocket fits in on your back wheel. I'm doing a whole S%S cam chest right now. I didn't want to just check the cam tensioners and put it all back together with "used" parts. I'm at 40,000 miles.
OK, now I know what you are talking about. Mine was not bad, but probably not as tight as it should be. And that was about 12K miles ago that I checked it.

thanks

Old 03-23-2020, 08:13 PM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 444 Posts

2014 FLHTK - @ 130,000 mile - cam chain tensioners, primary chain tensioner, neck bearings, rear brake rotor (wrapped), fork seals (leaking), brake & clutch fluid flush, rear sprocket cushion, front wheel bearings (third set).

Old 03-23-2020, 09:24 PM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,947 Likes on 2,167 Posts

Originally Posted by 14GuineaPig
2014 FLHTK - @ 130,000 mile - cam chain tensioners, primary chain tensioner, neck bearings, rear brake rotor (wrapped), fork seals (leaking), brake & clutch fluid flush, rear sprocket cushion, front wheel bearings (third set).
Had you had any of these things done, besides the front wheel bearings, prior to 130K? I just opened up my primary and the tensioner had very little wear. I'm hoping the cam chain tensioners are the same because I sure wouldn't mind waiting another 80,000 miles to change them. 😉

Last edited by GalvTexGuy; 03-23-2020 at 09:27 PM.
Old 03-23-2020, 10:23 PM
jammerx
Stellar HDF Member
Received 327 Likes on 221 Posts

That is a great machine! My 15 had the new water pump, and except for brakes, wheel bearings, and tires no other maintenance required. I did have the 110 kit installed at about 35k. Traded at 56k miles. Most trouble free Harley I have ever owned. I traded it a few weeks ago for a 20 FLHTK figuring most of the bugs have been worked out with the M8. I hope I am right.

Old 03-24-2020, 11:41 AM
14GuineaPig
Stellar HDF Member
Received 511 Likes on 444 Posts

Originally Posted by GalvTexGuy
Had you had any of these things done, besides the front wheel bearings, prior to 130K? I just opened up my primary and the tensioner had very little wear. I'm hoping the cam chain tensioners are the same because I sure wouldn't mind waiting another 80,000 miles to change them. 😉
Other than a rocker box gasket, the engine had never been opened. The primary was never opened except for removing the derby cover for oil changes. The bike is not ridden hard and had the 5000 mile engine and the 10,000 mile primary oil changes done using SYN3 & Formula+. The rear brake rotor was original but I was getting a vibration/noise under very light braking. The neck bearings were changed at 77000 & forks were serviced at that time. The rear sprocket cushion was original. The brake fluid was flushed for the 3rd time (trying to adhere to the 2 year service recommendation) and it was the 1st time for the clutch (brake) fluid flush other than what may have been done during the 3 (I think) clutch recalls. I am on my 3rd water pump. I now have the updated pump after pump #2 started to leak after I got the bike back from the above mentioned repairs. Pump #1 had died at 82,000. Engine & drivetrain have been excellent.

Quick Reply: What do I need to have done