Sponsored by:

what seat to try next?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2017, 08:02 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior
Received 255 Likes on 158 Posts
Default what seat to try next?

looking for a long haul seat that gets me off the tank. i really like the HD sidekick seat as far as position and can tolerate that seat for up to 1.5 hours at a time. so i bought the mustang super tour that is supposed to set you back 1.75 inch. while i did not get butt burn with it but I felt like I was still too cramped on the bike and the back rest made it even worse.

what good touring seats are out there that have propper butt support and will let me sit back farther? i am almost about ready to just drop the coin on a Russel Day long.

Old 10-06-2017, 08:11 PM
Red
Stellar HDF Member

Received 859 Likes on 482 Posts

Cramped on the Super Tour! Are you 7’ tall with a 40” inseam? What size are you? Do you have medical issues that would keep you from being comfortable?

What are you riding? Have you ridden before and been comfortable? What was the answer then?

Old 10-06-2017, 09:07 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Red
Cramped on the Super Tour! Are you 7’ tall with a 40” inseam? What size are you? Do you have medical issues that would keep you from being comfortable?

What are you riding? Have you ridden before and been comfortable? What was the answer then?
i am not suer tall at 6 foot and about 31 inch inseam. i just like being farther back on the bike. i have a '16 road glide and really like the space i have on the sidekick seat. no medical issues. i've been riding for over 20 years and harleys for the past 6 or so. my last bike was a breakout. so i like the stretched out forward control position. but do too many miles to stay on a softail. for my daily riding 51 weeks of the year i am all set with what i have now. i need a seat for our yearly one week trip that we average 400-500 miles a day. out next trip is late spring early summer of '18 so i have time to find the right seat i just hate spending money and then losing some when the new seat doesn't really work and i have to sell it.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:38 PM
HawgRider768
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Do you still have the stock seat? If so, give Mean City a call and talk to them about working their magic. Alot cheaper than buying a new seat.

Old 10-06-2017, 09:42 PM
Jersey Drew
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by HawgRider768
Do you still have the stock seat? If so, give Mean City a call and talk to them about working their magic. Alot cheaper than buying a new seat.
I did consider that but I can't seem to find any reports of people who are truly happy with the seat after. I even have a friend who did get one and while he says it's better it isn't great.

Old 10-06-2017, 10:44 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts

Hmmmm, I got a super tour and am very happy with it. Given your on a non dresser, the super tour won’t move you back as much as it does from the couch that’s on an ultra, but it did move me back a hair.

Not sure if your running the super tour with the drivers back rest, if so, pull it, you will have much more room. The backrest makes me feel a bit cramped.

I also looked hard at the Saddleman road sofa. I believe they are forum sponsors, and have heard great things about that seat.

Another thing to consider is a bar change, the stock bars have quite a bit of pull back.

Good luck with your search.

Old 10-07-2017, 10:13 AM
96slowbra
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

and Saddlemen has the Extended Reach Roadsofa.
https://www.saddlemen.com/roadsofa-l...arley-davidson

Old 10-07-2017, 01:01 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts

I have a hammock on a 2016 RGS special and I'm thinking there has to be something better.I can go 2 hours on it.The mustang seat might work for me.And then sometimes I think I'm chasing my tail and what it is ,is what it is.But a Saddleman seat or mustang might be my next attempt.

Old 10-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Bodacious MC
Road Master
Received 129 Likes on 97 Posts

Idahokid..... I'm currently using a Mustang Super Solo Wide. It sits me up higher for sure, is very firm, but seems to help with my old knees and hips. I ended up have to put on a 1" taller w/s than what I could use with the HD seats.
What I don't like is seems to have a real flat, firm area about 6" in front of the lumbar support. My old butt can feel the front edge of that flat. On cool days it's more noticeable. (stays firmer I guess)
I'm going to send it to MCC and have it lowered and contoured about an inch, more of a bucket shape without going extreme. I will have them put in a tailbone relief, and memory foam.
Honestly I'm with you thinking I'm just chasing my tail!
The Mustang did relieve my butt burn, I'm good for about 125 miles and seem to recover very quickly.
Old bony rear ends are hard to please.

Last edited by Bodacious MC; 10-07-2017 at 01:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Idahokid (10-10-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 05:18 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 540 Likes on 395 Posts

I've tried Corbin dual tours they worked for a couple of years but now they start to hurt after a couple of hours.
I have a dual hammock and a Rider only hammock, I prefer the rider only , it moves me back an inch or so and I'm good for 700 - 800 miles in a day. I just got a road zeppelin but haven't rode on it yet.
That said, just spend the money and go Day
long and be done with it. Thats my next step if the zeppelin doesn't do it for me.

Quick Reply: what seat to try next?