Sponsored by:

Catless Headers / Misc

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 03:21 PM
skm348
Cruiser
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Catless Headers / Misc

Need your operational experience please. I’d like to get catless headers and a retune after my warranty expires and have a few questions.
  • Marketing hype aside, does any brand perform better than another? Doesn’t appear to be much technology in headers but I could be wrong. Some claim an HP increase I guess as a result of less restriction?
  • For such a simple mod do I need a $300-$400 aftermarket tuner or is there a ‘basic’ tune from dealer that does the job? If it;s necessary, I’d choose the Power Vision as my dealer is well versed in it.
  • Does not having a cat change the sound, and if so, how? I have 4” Street Cannons that sound great but I’m considering S&S MK45’s (4.5”) for a little deeper rumble.
  • Do I need a new air filter? I’ve read here that the stock 103 flows well and I also like its looks.
  • Would I lose torque changing from 4” to 4.5”slip ons?
  • Will fuel economy change? I’d expect a slight decrease given it’s going richer.
  • Would a dyno tune add any value for this type ofmod?
  • Is there noticeable heat reduction for passenger? This is a big selling point for my wife!
  • Is there a noticeable performance improvement?
Ok that’s it, and sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make an informed decision. Bike runs great as it is but since I’m likely getting new slip-ons I figure I may as well go a little further, if the payback is there. Have also thought about Stage 2, but if I like these results I’ll just stay put.

Thanks!

Last edited by skm348; 10-12-2017 at 07:02 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 03:32 PM
sammer4u
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts

I removed the cat from the stock header after the warranty expired this year on my 15 Ultra. I bought the Power Vision from Fuel Moto set up for all stock and cat removed. Done a few auto tunes and runs fine. I did not notice much difference with the mpg's if anything I did go down some. The sound with stock pipes is definitely louder, but not earth shattering. I am saving for some slip ons... but have not found anything cheap so that will be a next year project. I am leaning towards the SE Cannons. I cannot speak of the torque difference as it was not a concern of mine, I just want to ride. But it does seems "snappier" and still goes like a SOB when I get on it. The wife said it sounds better, and the heat is still there but not as bad as it was with the cat. I have the stock ac, and seems fine. As others have mentioned it was not worth getting anything different because of this new filter is much better than years past. I was told that doing a dyno tune with the PV was a waste, especially for my set up. I feel I am running fine and I get the pep I wanted. It runs well and all is good at this point.

Hope this helps a little, as I had the same questions when I started to feel this out. Talk with Fuel Moto, they will set you up!

The following users liked this post:
skm348 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 04:09 PM
strych9
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 9,163 Likes on 3,519 Posts

Originally Posted by skm348
Need your operational experience please. I’d like to get catless headers and a retune after my warranty expires and have a few questions.
  • Marketing hype aside, does any brand perform better than another? Doesn’t appear to be much technology in headers but I could be wrong. Some claim an HP increase I guess as a result of less restriction?
  • For such a simple mod do I need a $300-$400 aftermarket tuner or is there a ‘basic’ tune from dealer that does the job? If it;s necessary, I’d choose the Power Vision as my dealer is well versed in it.
  • Does not having a cat change the sound, and if so, how? I have 4” Street Cannons that sound great but I’m considering S&S MK45’s (4.5”) for a little bit deeper rumble.
  • Do I need a new air filter? I’ve read here that the stock 103 flows well and I also like its looks.
  • Would I lose torque changing from 4” to 4.5”slip ons?
  • Will fuel economy change? I’d expect a slight decrease given it’s going richer.
  • Would a dyno tune add any value for this type ofmod?
  • Is there noticeable heat reduction for passenger? This is a big selling point for my wife!
  • Is there a noticeable performance improvement?
Ok that’s it, and sorry for all the questions. Just trying to make an informed decision. Bike runs great as it is but since I’m likely getting new slip-ons I figure I may as well go a little further, if the payback is there. Have also thought about Stage 2, but if I like these results I’ll just stay put.

Thanks!
One thing you fail to identify is your goal. You have to know what you want before you build a plan to realize that goal.

If you're chasing performance, you need a quality header ($$$, brands do matter), and hi-flow air cleaner with a good tune. If performance is a bonus but not the goal, spend a little less and buy a less expensive header.

You will remove heat without the cat. No question about that. You will gain increased volume and deeper tone without a cat. You will need a good tune, either a dyno tune from a good shop, or a good-quality tuner with "auto-tune" capabilities. V&H FP3 and DynoJet Power Vision are good choices.

If you want a noticeable "seat-of-your-pants" performance increase, you'll need good-quality components like V&H, Fuel Moto's offerings, Rinehart, etc., and you will need to do all of it.

My fuel economy was 45 MPG before my mods, and still @ 45 MPH after my mods, but with noticeable power improvement.

skm348 (10-12-2017)
Old 10-12-2017, 06:59 PM
skm348
Cruiser

Thanks guys. Strych, performance is a bonus for me. I realize that if I want serious gains then Stage 2 is the choice, it's just expensive. I'd just like it to run as efficiently as possible with a little better/smoother performance.

I started out just wanting a deeper sound, which didn't require a tune, then thought about the header and the cooler running, which would require a tune, which in turn would improve the fuel/air mix which results in better running.

I'll call FM and other OEMs for input but hope others continue to chime in.

Last edited by skm348; 10-12-2017 at 08:16 PM.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:30 PM
Idahokid
Road Master
Received 89 Likes on 73 Posts

I have a 2016 RGS.I have a naked vo2 air cleaner and crusher mellow pipes.Fp3 tuner and I’m really happy with the way it runs.It runs very smooth.Im running the stock headpipe with cat.I think this gives me a deep tone and still perfect for long distance.If I had to choose another muffler it would be Fuel moto 4” tuned mufflers. I’m getting 45.3 mpg and there is power increase across the entire Power range. I don’t know if a different headpipe would net me anymore Power or not. I’m always told the last few pony’s are the most expensive.

skm348 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 12:20 PM
alarmdoug
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 168 Posts

Removed my cat on my stock 14 Road King. Sounds better deeper Rumble, also results in slightly richer fuel mixture, no tuner needed if removing the cat.

dave the welder (10-14-2017)
Old 10-13-2017, 06:04 PM
INJEKTER
Road Warrior
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

one...once you go catless, the dealer has nothing to tune your bike with.... no cat will give you better sound.... i have fuel moto jackpot header, SS MK 45 slips and PV tuner plus FMs breather.... $1550 out the door tune loaded...great improvement in sound...cooler running for passenger..... better performance...

Old 10-14-2017, 05:38 AM
dave the welder
Road Captain
Received 167 Likes on 124 Posts

I removed my cat from my stock RK, little more sound and less heat. Did it on the bike, just cut a rectangular hole removed cat and weld plate back in. Tip, use a stainless wire like 308 or 309 and disconnect battery.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:24 AM
skm348
Cruiser

Originally Posted by INJEKTER
one...once you go catless, the dealer has nothing to tune your bike with...
Thanks. Sorry, but what does this mean?

Old 10-14-2017, 07:31 AM
skm348
Cruiser

Originally Posted by alarmdoug
Removed my cat on my stock 14 Road King. Sounds better deeper Rumble, also results in slightly richer fuel mixture, no tuner needed if removing the cat.
Thanks. Who knows, maybe if I just remove cat on my headers it may deepen up my Street Cannons enough where I won't need the MK45s?

Quick Reply: Catless Headers / Misc