2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch and brake fluid flushes: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2017, 07:29 PM
1957buick
Club Member
Received 204 Likes on 157 Posts

I do not know why guys are stuck on doing the fluid change , What is the big deal ? The last thing i want is trouble with brakes or clutch when on the road ! they always work in the garage !!!!

Old 10-13-2017, 08:26 PM
Grouser62
Road Captain
Received 526 Likes on 250 Posts

Originally Posted by 1957buick
I do not know why guys are stuck on doing the fluid change , What is the big deal ? The last thing i want is trouble with brakes or clutch when on the road ! they always work in the garage !!!!
I hear you, my hesitation stems from two things (1) I'm keeping the motorcycle one more season and not looking to spend if there isn't benefit - and yes my safety is on my list of top ten benefits; (2) there are a few stories on the forum about damaged paint, air bubbles and incorrectly torqued covers that make me wish this was something I could do myself, which I can't.

Some very useful responses here thanks. Including your's 57!

Old 10-13-2017, 09:25 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 242 Likes on 192 Posts

Originally Posted by IUOE ROB
Not to hijack but do you all get these fluids changed based on time, miles or anything else, color, performance, etc.? I'm at 3 1/2 years, 17K miles, everything looks fine and works perfectly. I'm sure the manual says I should have done it already so what do you all think? Thanks and sorry for the question on your thread OP...
Buy the tester very inexpensive or have it tested and I bet you it's more then half contaminated then acceptable due to the age and so small amount of fluid.

Old 10-14-2017, 02:51 AM
Sedonastrider
Tourer
Received 63 Likes on 36 Posts

Do it. I noticed better response in the linked system. It was astounding!

Old 10-14-2017, 02:56 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
Hi 2015 Limited, 124,000 km (77,000 miles), brakes and clutch perform as new.........is it really worth it to get the DOT 4 flushed? Fluid color looks fine through the windows. I'm a bit of a "ain't broke don't fix" kind of guy. If I do go ahead, what should I expect in terms of labor hours?
don't even hesitate my opinion get them flushed.

I was surprised at how much better my brakes felt afterwards. I thought there was Zero issue with my brakes and they were really good before.

Old 10-14-2017, 04:53 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Grouser62
I hear you, my hesitation stems from two things (1) I'm keeping the motorcycle one more season and not looking to spend if there isn't benefit - and yes my safety is on my list of top ten benefits; (2) there are a few stories on the forum about damaged paint, air bubbles and incorrectly torqued covers that make me wish this was something I could do myself, which I can't.

Some very useful responses here thanks. Including your's 57!
One more season? Skip it. It won't 'suddenly' fail - lol. Don't even crack the lid if it feels fine.

Old 10-14-2017, 06:52 AM
Hoginedgewood
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,190 Likes on 652 Posts

Fluid is cheap, if you’re good with a wrench it’s a 30 minute job, if you want to learn more it’s a good place to start. After flushing check for proper operation and check for leaks, several times. With a second person and a vacuum pump it’s good really easy.

Old 10-14-2017, 07:58 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master

Not on a linked ABS system.

Old 10-15-2017, 05:40 AM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-Mike
One more season? Skip it. It won't 'suddenly' fail - lol. Don't even crack the lid if it feels fine.

Not really trying to argue here, but yes.
Yes it can indeed suddenly fail. July heat, sitting on the side of a mountain in stop and go traffic and clutch went..... just like that. 2015 Street Glide Special with 2 years 4 months and 21k on the clock. I was very fortunate to be at a spot I could push the bike off the road.

Change the fluid as scheduled...... as much as we don't always like change, this ain't the clutch or brakes or brake fluid from your daddy's old car. I'm generally as big a tightwad as anybody when it comes to stuff, I'm usually skeptical about company recommended schedules as being abit on the greddy side, when it comes to the clutch and brake fluid, I will never risk it again. Mine will be changed at regular intervals.
If you aren't testing your fluid for moisture it does need changed...... Period. How can you safely assume otherwise?

To the OP....change it. You, your loved ones, or some other innocent motorists/pedestrian could be hurt or killed because you want to save $200?

Old 10-15-2017, 06:47 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master

Drama queen...

Suddenly fail huh. EVERYTHING was perfect the fluid just suddenly failed..? BULLSH!T.

He'll be fine.

Quick Reply: clutch and brake fluid flushes: worth it?