2014-2023 Touring Models This Section Is For Rushmore/2014-2023 Touring Models
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clutch and brake fluid flushes: worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2017, 06:56 AM
cycle7447
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,697 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Just had mine done about 2 months ago. My dealer checked it when I did the 30,000 mile maintenance. Based on his check, the moisture was just above 2%.

I am in the camp of having things checks and preventative maintenance. Like to also prepare my bike for long trips - just in case. My bike is a 2014 - battery in the bike since I purchased it in Sept, 2013. All seems just fine and I have never had any difficulty starting it. This winter when it goes for storage, it will be getting a new battery and new tires. Current tires have over 17,000 miles on them and while they appear to be in great shape, I would rather get new ones for the riding season the ride for 3000 miles or so and then change them.

Running around 34,000 miles currently, I may also get the 35,000 mile service - since this can be performed over the winter storage - rather than waste/wait during good riding season weather.

Last edited by cycle7447; 10-15-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:09 AM
GFVIII
Cruiser
Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

Just out of curiosity (and laziness) what do dealers usually charge for this service? I don't have any indy shops near me.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:20 AM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr-Mike;16736707]Drama queen...

Suddenly fail huh. EVERYTHING was perfect the fluid just suddenly failed..? BULLSH!T.

He'll be fine.[/

ink, it isn't bullshit, i was there, it happened. It was over 100 degrees, we were in stop and go traffic for about 20 minutes.... pulled up the mountain about 50 yards, next time I went to release the clutch..... nothing.

look, mr mike, I'm not gonna continue debating this with you. you can run your brake and clutch fluid anyway you want. But to anybody with a Rushmore bike or a bike with the same abs brake and clutch fluid, I would highly advise you get your fluid checked, and have it changed. It does draw moisture, and it will fail.

Last edited by 2011RoadKing; 10-15-2017 at 07:40 AM.
Old 10-15-2017, 07:33 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr-Mike
Drama queen...

Suddenly fail huh. EVERYTHING was perfect the fluid just suddenly failed..? BULLSH!T.

He'll be fine.
He'll be fine until he has to replace an ABS module. The Factory recommends flushing the fluid for that very reason.
If you look around there have been quite a few posts about failed ABS actuators recently. Flushing may not be the real answer but it can't hurt.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:49 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Sweetheart, it is you who doesn't know what you are talking about. You are misinterpreting the symptoms - period! This is why many should not be offering advice. It's based on one single observation, then a misdiagnosed opinion. Feel free to explain how the symptom you are describing caused a failure. You are suggesting the clutch stayed engaged when released. Start with the type of fluid in question, who performed the last service and how long the replacement fluid sat open on the shelf before being used. And since you advocate testing, what was the percentage of moisture? Or you just can stop now.

Old 10-15-2017, 08:08 AM
Mr-Mike
Road Master
Received 179 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
He'll be fine until he has to replace an ABS module. The Factory recommends flushing the fluid for that very reason.
If you look around there have been quite a few posts about failed ABS actuators recently. Flushing may not be the real answer but it can't hurt.
Generalize if it helps but really it's meaningless without details. Sure ABS failures have been noted. How about those relating specifically to fluid age vs fluid type vs other?

Old 10-15-2017, 08:11 AM
2011RoadKing
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

[QUOTE=Mr-Mike;16736833]Sweetheart, it is you who doesn't know what you are talking about. You are misinterpreting the symptoms - period! This is why many should not be offering advice. It's based on one single observation, then a misdiagnosed opinion. Feel free to explain how the symptom you are describing caused a failure. You are suggesting the clutch stayed engaged when released. Start with the type of fluid in question, who performed the last service and how long the replacement fluid sat open on the shelf before being used. And since you advocate testing, what was the percentage of moisture? Or you just can stop now.[/QUOTE

ill stop now, you obviously already know EVERYTHING!!!!!!

geez

Old 10-15-2017, 09:24 AM
IUOE ROB
Stellar HDF Member

Received 247 Likes on 180 Posts

[QUOTE=2011RoadKing;16736880]
Sweetheart, it is you who doesn't know what you are talking about. You are misinterpreting the symptoms - period! This is why many should not be offering advice. It's based on one single observation, then a misdiagnosed opinion. Feel free to explain how the symptom you are describing caused a failure. You are suggesting the clutch stayed engaged when released. Start with the type of fluid in question, who performed the last service and how long the replacement fluid sat open on the shelf before being used. And since you advocate testing, what was the percentage of moisture? Or you just can stop now.[/QUOTE

ill stop now, you obviously already know EVERYTHING!!!!!!

geez
Please don't stop yet, I'd like to know some details (not to bash, to learn)...was it conclusively proven that the fluid caused your clutch failure? Did you take it in, have the fluid changed (nothing else done that could have led to the failure) and your clutch started working again or was there other work done. I know awhile back there was a number of clutch failures, many related to the recall for some inferior parts used, could that have caused your failure? Thanks...

Old 10-15-2017, 09:44 AM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,722 Likes on 1,547 Posts

Generalize if it helps but really it's meaningless without details. Sure ABS failures have been noted. How about those relating specifically to fluid age vs fluid type vs other?
I'm just passing along what HD has been saying about the ABS module failures - that is the "detail". No one is generalizing - it's what's been stated by HD themselves. Look it up.
They think the rise in ABS related failures is related to poor fluid maintenance.

Do what you like with this info. I have no dog in the fight, but it appears that you're just here to shoot down what others have been seeing.
If you don't want to maintain your brakes, that's cool, but trying to convince others that the whole idea is stupid - is stupid. Let it go new guy.

Last edited by lp; 10-15-2017 at 09:48 AM.
The following users liked this post:
nevada72 (10-17-2017)
Old 10-15-2017, 11:00 AM
GalvTexGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 3,950 Likes on 2,169 Posts

And the NHTSA still hasn't released their findings of the investigation into the 2008-2011 model year ABS brake failures. It's been almost 16 months. I wonder how many riders and/or passengers have died because the brakes completely failed? I know, just in this forum alone, there are several reports of members who say one or both of their brakes failed on their 2008-2011 bikes.

https://www.google.com/search?q=harl...=1024&bih=1327

Quick Reply: clutch and brake fluid flushes: worth it?